Week 16 GDT Packers @ Jets "I Believe That Gute..."

skibrett15

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

Lots of people in here never played sports before....apparently

THIS

I mean these guys are competitors. It’s why they play the game. Some people are fighting for bigger contracts, better pay, starting position, more playing time.

Tanking for draft position is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Raiders/Browns/Jets/Giants have sucked for years now and got good draft positioning. What do they have to show for it?

5 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

You are so wrong on this. You play to win the game.  Some of these guys were playing for their jobs and their families.

Never is it okay to try to lose.  If you're upset and need to calm down, do so.  This club pulled off an NFL road win with their second string defense, I don't care If it was the Jets, it was an entertaining win and the rookie WRs flashed a little today.

No one is asking the players to try and lose. Management needed to make that decision. If Kizer beats the Jets, fine and dandy.

Bulaga and Rodgers playing was just nonsense.

If a coach sat players at the end of the season in hope to lose a game and gain better draft position for next year they wont be coaching in the nfl very long. If a team wants a specific player in the draft there are ways to go up and get him rather then convince a coaching staff to lose games. If gute told philbin this, the next coaches view of gute's ability to draft players wont be very high.

1 minute ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Agreed.

Almost as much as I wish the previous GM had not tied the current GM's hands by giving his boys Perry (1.5 sacks) and Clay (3.5 sacks) contracts that made them two of the seven highest cap hits in 2018.

Right?

Explain to me how Matthews contract tied Gute's hands?

You were stuck with Perry for the most part, cutting him got you no cap space this year, but could've walked away from Matthews clean and clear.

43 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I don’t watch football for my team to tank or to position themselves for a better draft pick.  I watch for entertainment , and for the comraderie that weekend games bring to fellow Packer fans.  Winning today will not alter the course of the future for GB as an organization.  Don’t get caught up in the woulda coulda shoulda bull****.  Just don’t.

I'm not going to stress to much about it.

But according to the draft charts, it costs us about 270 points on the value chart across the draft if we drop from 10th to 14th. To put that in perspective, people were happy to trade away a starter (in Ha Ha) leaving us with precious little safety depth in return for a pick worth about 80 points. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No one is asking the players to try and lose. Management needed to make that decision. If Kizer beats the Jets, fine and dandy.

Bulaga and Rodgers playing was just nonsense.

LOL

There is 9 months till pre-season and 10 months till regular season 2019. So even if they did get “hurt” they would be ready by next season.

And if Rodgers got hurt again, then that’s a green light to organization to draft a legitimate back up QB because this dude must be made of glass.

I hope I am wrong about this, but Rodgers is shaping up to be more like Romo in his final years ie injury prone. With 2 fractures to the collarbone in 3 years and 3 leg injuries (knee/calf) in 5 years (?) this guy is one bad hit away from either being severely limited mobility wise or out for the season.

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

Rodgers did throw the ball to all of his receivers today and had his best game stat wise. Might bode well for next year, but still need the loss. 

Rodgers almost looked like his old self at times today so that is a good sign.  

Just now, PackGymRat said:

LOL

There is 9 months till pre-season and 10 months till regular season 2019. So even if they did get “hurt” they would be ready by next season.

And if Rodgers got hurt again, then that’s a green light to organization to draft a legitimate back up QB because this dude must be made of glass.

I hope I am wrong about this, but Rodgers is shaping up to be more like Romo in his final years ie injury prone. With 2 fractures to the collarbone in 3 years and 3 leg injuries (knee/calf) in 5 years (?) this guy is one bad hit away from either being severely limited mobility wise or out for the season.

If somebody tears an ACL or an Achilles, they're out or at least down for next year.

Drafting a backup doesn't help us if Rodgers goes down. If Rodgers isn't playing, that contract ties one arm behind our back.

2 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

But according to the draft charts, it costs us about 270 points on the value chart across the draft if we drop from 10th to 14th. To put that in perspective, people were happy to trade away a starter (in Ha Ha) leaving us with precious little safety depth in return for a pick worth about 80 points. 

Draft points/value/positioning mean jack diddly if your GM sucks at drafting. Or else the Raiders and Browns would be NFL powerhouses for the amount of time they have been in the cellar.

1 minute ago, mikemike778 said:

I’m well aware of this also.  BUT, what some folks don’t seem to understand is that in most cases, players, coaches, and staff aren’t going to play to lose, much less give the spector they are.  So why lose sleep over something we as fans can’t control, and pitch a fit on the internet?  

2 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

I'd be lying if I said I don't enjoy watching the Packers win.

Rodgers is hilarious though, celebrating like we just got into the playoffs.

Wins this year have been few and far between so I'm not going to blast him for enjoying it.  

Archived