Week 16 GDT Packers @ Jets "I Believe That Gute..."

skibrett15

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Because there is no opportunity cost in real life. We've seen this with the NBA.

You're arguing for letting the players steer the ship. 

NBA/NFL, apples/oranges.

We need to stop comparing a 12 man roster, in a non contact sport, on fully guaranteed deals, run by stars to the NFL. Any pick outside the top 10 in the NBA is borderline worthless, that is not at all the case in the NFL. It's just a poor comparison through and through.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We're not talking about shutting down half our roster to do so.  We're talking about benching a few veteran players dealing with nagging injuries, or have too much invested long-term to risk them missing the 2019 season over a meaningless game.  IF Rodgers doesn't understand the value of preserving his body for the 2019 season, I really question his smarts.  And that's not something I would ever be concerned about.

They shut him down in 2017 when he was at risk, you think now suddenly they're forcing him to play through an injury that he is at risk? No. The knee is to a point where it's as healed as it's going to be. Maybe he needs a clean up in the off-season, but right now he's at no risk, or he wouldn't be playing. 

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

All I'm gonna say on the tank/winning debate is that what Rodgers had to say about it made me like him a lot more.  A lot more. 

I wasn't gonna lose sleep either way, but Rodgers made a pretty good case. Too bad someone didn't follow up with "you just blew the entire 2019 draft and set the franchise back 400 years." Then again, he's just a football player - what does he know.

For the first time in some time I was detached from Packer events yesterday.
Kinda - mostly - but not entirely - as I was at a family function for Christmas stuff :)
I did manage to get a TV tuned into NFL Networks and with the sound off was able to monitor score progression(s).

I have to say - I had multiple thoughts of: "Gee, this isnt going well....I can only imagine whats up on the GDT" 

At the end - I was like: "Okay now....you can go ahead and lose this one. Dont know what the hell's been going on - but an 'L' would come in handy"

But not to be.

Root for em to win - come up short. Ultimately root for them to lose - come up short. Its just been that kinda year.

So now - without further adieu - let me scan the GDT and see the range of emotions.....

Oh btw -

To those who constantly question why I post real time events / plays in the GDT - supplying actual game data, score and context to something many are viewing live - my reading of the GDT now will probably convince me its a good idea. I suspect I'll get lots of emotional responses to what happened on the field. I also suspect I wont get much of a clue about what actually happened.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everybody.

Be well, stay well and peace out.

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's not about Aaron losing the locker room it's about you losing Aaron. The guy still remembers the college coaches who passed him by, people who've called him short, the man doesn't communicate with his own family over something they did and you want to tell him he's not playing in games that he clearly wants to? You don't think that will always be in his head when it comes to Gute and Murphy? 

If playing Aaron and going from pick 7 to pick 16 gives Aaron that warm and fuzzy feeling that the organization stuck with him, let him finish it out his way and got himself back on the right track then that's a damn fair trade. Hell I'd trade both those first round picks for an entire season of that Rodgers we saw in the 2nd half of the Bears game and the 2Q on yesterday. A top 10 pick isn't going to help us a damn bit with the Aaron that played this year. You need him back to being an MVP, and if stroking his ego down the stretch here gets him to self reflect on this season and bust his butt to get back to himself, so worth it.

This should have been a group think between Gute, Philbin, and Rodgers.  Not a directive from Gute to Philbin to tell Rodgers.  If you can't have a reasonable discussion with your franchise QB about long-term value, how can you have any real honest discussion?  And maybe that discussion happened.  But I'd be willing to bet it didn't.

And I think "losing Aaron" is an over-exaggeration at best.  He isn't going to suddenly demand a trade simply because he wasn't allowed to play in a meaningless regular season game.  The competitor in him wants to play, and I get that.  But he knows that the '18 season is a wash and he just saw Alex Smith likely miss the entire '19 season because of injury.  It's one thing to get hurt when games are meaningful, it's another to get hurt when it isn't.  Why do you think the Packers don't play their starters throughout all preseason?  Maybe we should start.

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Anyone who truly understands roster building wanted the higher pick yesterday, but it's not going to come as a result of sitting your stars down and telling them, too bad you aren't playing. So there's absolutely no reason to fault our FO for doing something everyone else does.

Why is no one willing to look at the opportunity cost of breaching the trust/loyalty factor of your best players if you force them to sit games they are adamant about not wanting to? This isn't Madden, you are dealing with raw human emotion and big egos here, and they can go into the offseason with that bad taste in their mouth about your organization.

They need to be adults and get over it. They have months to fire up their coping mechanisms. 

They're paid handsomely to be professionals and adhere to the decisions their bosses make. And if they don't understand what is happening - that the team is doing whatever it takes to get them more help, then they're dumb and selfish. Which itself is an issue. 

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

They shut him down in 2017 when he was at risk, you think now suddenly they're forcing him to play through an injury that he is at risk? No. The knee is to a point where it's as healed as it's going to be. Maybe he needs a clean up in the off-season, but right now he's at no risk, or he wouldn't be playing. 

The Packers weren't eliminated until after Week 15, so their matchup against the Jets was the first time when there was nothing to gain by playing him.  And you said it yourself, there was "value" in him playing if it meant getting him in sync.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

The Packers weren't eliminated until after Week 15, so their matchup against the Jets was the first time when there was nothing to gain by playing him.  And you said it yourself, there was "value" in him playing if it meant getting him in sync.

They were eliminated after Carolina last year. It was exactly the same situation.

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Players, play for money, first and foremost.

Tanking isn't cheating, where is the role that says it is?

You're an idiot if you think the NFL has any integrity. It's a cartel.

If you think anything in the NFL or NFL related is important in your life, then you're the one who has screwed up priorities.

Cheering for an NFL team is not about building character. You are drunk at the wheel.

You explain to your kids that they need to be intelligent, identify their long term goals, identify their current situation and be disciplined enough to delay gratification in order to make the correct decisions to achieve their long term goals.

Take your own advice and quit taking snarky swipes at everyone who doesn't share your opinion.  You use the words idiot and stupid more than anyone else on this forum.  If it isn't those then you use drunk at the wheel.  Always the demonization of other opinions apparently because anything in the NFL or NFL related isn't important, right?  You're so busy ranting you contradict yourself often.

If the draft is more or less a crap shoot, then why are you so upset that we draft a few spots lower? Your issues with Rodgers have you now arguing what a good guy Cam Newton is.  You know, the guy who likes to hide behind a towel. The guy who pouts and walks away from post game interviews.  The guy who runs to the endzone to do his superman thing when his WR throws a TD pass?

C'mon man.  Lighten up.  Your usually informative posts have really turned into 'skip bayless' type rants over the last few weeks. We get that you don't like Rodgers, we get it.

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

NBA/NFL, apples/oranges.

We need to stop comparing a 12 man roster, in a non contact sport, on fully guaranteed deals, run by stars to the NFL. Any pick outside the top 10 in the NBA is borderline worthless, that is not at all the case in the NFL. It's just a poor comparison through and through.

It's really not. Pro athletes getting paid. 

Winning games after you've been eliminated isn't borderline worthless, it's genuinely worthless.

2 minutes ago, th87 said:

They need to be adults and get over it. They have months to fire up their coping mechanisms. 

They're paid handsomely to be professionals and adhere to the decisions their bosses make. And if they don't understand what is happening - that the team is doing whatever it takes to get them more help, then they're dumb and selfish. Which itself is an issue. 

Why would you as a player want that? Those high picks are coming to take your jobs.

Again getting over it and being an adult is fan talk, but it's naive in my opinion to think that's what these guys would actually do. 

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

They were eliminated after Carolina last year. It was exactly the same situation.

Precisely my point.  They had nothing to play for in 2017, and they shut him down.  They had nothing to play for in 2018, so why didn't they shut him down?  Does anyone think any less of Aaron if he doesn't play against the Jets?

Archived