The Bears Biggest Need: OLB

WindyCity

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Why would he take 8-10 if he is looking at guaranteed 16 mil or free agency?

The 16 million is only guaranteed for injury.

What do you think his open market value is? Lets say he plays poorly or gets banged up in 2019, the Bears will pull the option and he hits the market in a bad position.

25 million in your account is better than 16 million in imaginary money.

19 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Coward

1. He played really well in the preseason 

2. They used a roster spot on him all year. That means they expect something from him.

As far as Coward I think he had a year of learning with Hiestand and not to mention one on one competition and scout team with Mack in front of him.  I think he will be in competition for the RT spot.  As far as Floyd goes I think Pace has a number in mind with him and if Floyd wants more he'll use the transaction tag again.  

Irving in the little time he has been has impressed me with his pass rush and he might be able to fill in as that 3rd OLB

In my opinion that 3rd OLB isn't that important, we only took a chance on Lynch, and it was before the deal for Mack.  Let's look how Irving and Fitts have developed before we devote more money to that position besides Floyd's deal

I look at rush linebacker in the 3rd and/or 4th round this year. Acho is nothing more than a veteran who's good for the young guys, Mack is one guy, Floyd is up and down and Lynch may or may not be back. Oshane Ximines, Jaylon Ferguson, Porter Gustin, and D'Andre Walker come to mind as mid round prospects that I'd be interested in as of now.

23 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Shane Ray is inactive tonight again for the 2nd straight game...he would be the classic reclamation project.

Would be a nice cheap swap out for Lynch who I think will get a little cash this offseason.

At this point you have to pick you Floyd’s option and then see if you can extend him at less than 16/season.

On December 21, 2018 at 2:31 PM, WindyCity said:

The 16 million is only guaranteed for injury.

What do you think his open market value is? Lets say he plays poorly or gets banged up in 2019, the Bears will pull the option and he hits the market in a bad position.

25 million in your account is better than 16 million in imaginary money.

On December 21, 2018 at 5:00 PM, Heinz D. said:

It ain't 16, for sure...

It becomes guaranteed in Spring of that year.  It is very rare to sign that option and be cut by your team.  

But like you say if he has a bad 2019 year it could happen. 

His choices are sign a cheaper deal now, but it hedges a bad 2019, or Bears sign him to 5th year option or put transition tag on him, right? 

He still would want a big signing bonus right? Puts you right back around 16 million and you can still be cut after that.  That doesnt make much sense, unless they fully guaranteed several smaller years which isnt how it is usually done. 

If they do nothing or transition tag him he is a free agent.  Transition tag isn't scary, it costs teams nothing to bid on a player.  That's a win from Floyds perpective too. 

Floyd isn't signing anything except 5th year option or a big deal which Bears can't afford.

I think and believe Bears pick up that 5th year if plays above average in remaining games or just keeps playing like he has been last couple.   I don't know if I would.  I would have to study cap situation more, but I believe they will.  I think they plan to sign the 5th year, manage the cap in 2020, and then he hits free agency and he is gone somewhere else as they have to prioritize and sign too many other guys.  

Bears could also sign and seek trades for him after this season. But that leaves a hole for their 2019-2020 season which is very hard to fill.

Other situation, i don't forsee, is he signs 5th year option, has crazy good 2019 and holds out for 2020 seeking trade not wanting to risk getting hurt on 2020 deal. Which bears might take him up on and get a first round pick.  Or maybe Bears just trade him anyway knowing they can't sign him past 2020. 

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Floyd isn't signing anything except 5th year option or a big deal which Bears can't afford.

That may well be the case. Holding out hope for a big season, and big money. If that's the case, I don't see how the Bears can offer him the option, considering they can roll the dice on getting as much production from a much lower salaried player. Hopefully Floyd's agent becomes aware of that fact. 

Archived