Serious thread: Freddie for HC

mistakey

@buno67 does make an excellent point about him being the associate HC which I honestly was not aware of but I would like my HC with a little more experience running an offense or defense. Another reason I dont want Kitchens as the HC is I would like him as the OC and too keep calling the plays and I think that it is too much to ask for a 1st time HC to do both. 

I have stated this before. I see both sides of the argument in regards to Freddie for HC or not for HC. I would not be upset in the slightest if Freddie is the new Head Coach but I also don't care enough to pound the table for him either. I believe Freddie is more of a product of Baker Mayfield than the other way around. One of the main reasons I see people want Freddie as HC is because they don't want to lose his play calling and worry that if he is OC he will be poached next year. I am honestly not worried about turnover at OC either because I believe Baker will make a lot of OCs look good. And sorry if that is the only reason you want the guy for HC then you line of thinking is wrong. We have the right guy at QB not get the right guy at HC and the rest will take care of itself. If it means a new OC every 2-3 years then so be it.

Really, I think the only reason for hiring Freddie as HC would be to prevent him from leaving after 2019. 

Someone asked me why I would want any coordinator...it's going to be a leap of faith regardless of the direction we head. It's not about one's ability to coordinate when it comes to being the Head Coach, it's about being the CEO of the roster and coaching staff. If that's something they want to hand to Freddie, then I'll trust the Browns and their belief that he can handle both responsibilities. 

Except, until I see that confidence from the Browns, I don't have it. I want Freddie to call the plays on the offense, I don't envision him as the face of the future coaching staff. Of course I could be proven wrong, and I'm open to that possibility because I love Freddie Kitchens and I don't wanna see another team take him from us.

3 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Really, I think the only reason for hiring Freddie as HC would be to prevent him from leaving after 2019. 

Someone asked me why I would want any coordinator...it's going to be a leap of faith regardless of the direction we head. It's not about one's ability to coordinate when it comes to being the Head Coach, it's about being the CEO of the roster and coaching staff. If that's something they want to hand to Freddie, then I'll trust the Browns and their belief that he can handle both responsibilities. 

Except, until I see that confidence from the Browns, I don't have it. I want Freddie to call the plays on the offense, I don't envision him as the face of the future coaching staff. Of course I could be proven wrong, and I'm open to that possibility because I love Freddie Kitchens and I don't wanna see another team take him from us.

So what does a coordinator need to do for you to “want them”?

Is it a matter of yelling a lot? Strong jaw?  What’s the criteria?

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Either a guy exhibits the leadership traits you desire and has a good track record doing his job or he doesn’t.

Sums it up for me.  Really, the only giant way we can screw this up is if we hire someone who clashes with Baker.

They have a very smart and experienced group of guys doing these interviews.  If Freddie is their choice, I'm gonna be pretty d@mn excited.

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So what does a coordinator need to do for you to “want them”?

Is it a matter of yelling a lot? Strong jaw?  What’s the criteria?

Paul-Walker_Varsity-Blues_1999-900x612.j

Offensive genius who clearly has the pulse of his players and relates to them exceptionally well. Great leader who elevates his team.

5 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

^^^

He's dead, so...

Lance Harbor can never die. I watch him overcome a career ending injury and find true happiness and his true calling as a football coach every night. He is still alive and well.

Paul Walker is dead, yes, that is true. He was just an actor thought and actors would never make a good football coach.

Some of you may disagree with me, and that's honestly fine, but as far as personality goes in a HC, I think that Freddie's willingness/openness to ask his players what works/what needs to be done fosters an environment that's based upon:

*Mutual respect: The coach wants and values your input. That's fantastic. You're not dealing with kids; you're dealing with professionals. They put as much in as most coaches do in many circumstances, plus they tend to know their own limitations...ESPECIALLY OFFENSIVE LINEMEN. Very few OL guys I've EVER come across are "me guys". It's against their mold and the way that they're wired.

*Player's taking responsibility: No more of this "I need to watch the film" or "Ask the coordinator" or "I wouldn't have called that play". The players hold themselves accountable each day in practice and with each game rep. For those of you who think that it's never been done before, you must not have been familiar with how this guy coached:

Madden_original.jpg?1291298789

*We've seen results firsthand in half of a season. Under Freddie, we're a top 5 offense with an OL that does a great job of protecting the QB and mauling in the run game, all without a bookend OT and a bunch of JAG receivers, not to mention fantastic QB play from a rookie. What else do you really need to see offensively?

22 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Some of you may disagree with me, and that's honestly fine, but as far as personality goes in a HC, I think that Freddie's willingness/openness to ask his players what works/what needs to be done fosters an environment that's based upon:

*Mutual respect: The coach wants and values your input. That's fantastic. You're not dealing with kids; you're dealing with professionals. They put as much in as most coaches do in many circumstances, plus they tend to know their own limitations...ESPECIALLY OFFENSIVE LINEMEN. Very few OL guys I've EVER come across are "me guys". It's against their mold and the way that they're wired.

*Player's taking responsibility: No more of this "I need to watch the film" or "Ask the coordinator" or "I wouldn't have called that play". The players hold themselves accountable each day in practice and with each game rep. For those of you who think that it's never been done before, you must not have been familiar with how this guy coached:

Madden_original.jpg?1291298789

*We've seen results firsthand in half of a season. Under Freddie, we're a top 5 offense with an OL that does a great job of protecting the QB and mauling in the run game, all without a bookend OT and a bunch of JAG receivers, not to mention fantastic QB play from a rookie. What else do you really need to see offensively?

This is the type of stuff I care about much more than how long he called plays off a play sheet.

Freddie seems to be very well liked by all of the offensive guys, has built a great relationship with our franchise cornerstone and seemingly has a personality type that imo wears well over time.  He seemingly lacks a huge ego and is relatable.

As far as the experience, he’s been around the game for 30 years.  He’s been coaching almost 20.

Surgeons are operating on brains in less time.

44 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is the type of stuff I care about much more than how long he called plays off a play sheet.

Freddie seems to be very well liked by all of the offensive guys, has built a great relationship with our franchise cornerstone and seemingly has a personality type that imo wears well over time.  He seemingly lacks a huge ego and is relatable.

As far as the experience, he’s been around the game for 30 years.  He’s been coaching almost 20.

Surgeons are operating on brains in less time.

Yeah, I don't really get the reticence on a Kitchens hire honestly. Like, I get it if you think there is a better candidate (I would've preferred Riley before he signed an extension), but so far the dude absolutely displays leadership qualities that play up in the long run (humility, loyalty, sense of humor) and his results have been fantastic. If I was like, the Jets or Cardinals, I would be hoping to get a Kitchens type as the HC to mesh with a young QB. 

2 hours ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I believe Freddie is more of a product of Baker Mayfield than the other way around. One of the main reasons I see people want Freddie as HC is because they don't want to lose his play calling and worry that if he is OC he will be poached next year. I am honestly not worried about turnover at OC either because I believe Baker will make a lot of OCs look good. And sorry if that is the only reason you want the guy for HC then you line of thinking is wrong. We have the right guy at QB not get the right guy at HC and the rest will take care of itself. If it means a new OC every 2-3 years then so be it.

Freddie might owe some of his success to Baker, but we have already seen PROVED with the first half of the year that bad coaching can limit Baker's potential. Even Rodgers hasn't looked like himself in years with particularly bad playcalling. You can say the same for a number of upper tier QBs around the league who have switched coordinators or coaches and slumped badly the following year.

We may be LESS dependent on scheme than other teams because of Baker, but that definitely doesn't mean that it suddenly doesn't matter. And to be honest, I would be super ticked with the offensive histories of some of the guys we have brought in for interviews/are rumored to be bringing in.

1 minute ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Freddie might owe some of his success to Baker, but we have already seen PROVED with the first half of the year that bad coaching can limit Baker's potential. Even Rodgers hasn't looked like himself in years with particularly bad playcalling. You can say the same for a number of upper tier QBs around the league who have switched coordinators or coaches and slumped badly the following year.

The play calling and game planning being 100% the reason Baker had a better second half is also 100% false. How do fans continue to ignore the complete 180 in attitude, confidence and discipline that was shown across the board in the last 8 games? That is not on play calling. Hue Jackson and Todd Haley created a miserable atmosphere no one wanted to work in. I would also say Greg Williams telling Baker Mayfield to not worry about mistakes and to let it rip also probably played a much larger role in his turn around than people are willing to admit. 

Like I said I will not be down if Freddie is the Head Coach but I stand by my statement that his current hype is far more a product of Baker Mayfield than the other way around.

4 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Yeah, I don't really get the reticence on a Kitchens hire honestly. Like, I get it if you think there is a better candidate (I would've preferred Riley before he signed an extension), but so far the dude absolutely displays leadership qualities that play up in the long run (humility, loyalty, sense of humor) and his results have been fantastic. If I was like, the Jets or Cardinals, I would be hoping to get a Kitchens type as the HC to mesh with a young QB. 

We may be LESS dependent on scheme than other teams because of Baker, but that definitely doesn't mean that it suddenly doesn't matter. And to be honest, I would be super ticked with the offensive histories of some of the guys we have brought in for interviews/are rumored to be bringing in.

Yeah it’s kinda nuts, it Kitchens was some hot shot young(ish) coordinator for another team I feel like folks would be all about him.

I also wonder how much the fat, “country bumpkin” vibe doesn’t mesh with what people want.  I dunno, just a thought...

1 minute ago, TheeRealDeal said:

The play calling and game planning being 100% the reason Baker had a better second half is also 100% false. How do fans continue to ignore the complete 180 in attitude, confidence and discipline that was shown across the board in the last 8 games? That is not on play calling. Hue Jackson and Todd Haley created a miserable atmosphere no one wanted to work in. I would also say Greg Williams telling Baker Mayfield to not worry about mistakes and to let it rip also probably played a much larger role in his turn around than people are willing to admit. 

Like I said I will not be down if Freddie is the Head Coach but I stand by my statement that his current hype is far more a product of Baker Mayfield than the other way around.

How much of that change in attitude is because of Freddie though?

Gregggg seemingly gets all the credit because he’s yells a lot and cusses.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

How much of that change in attitude is because of Freddie though?

Gregggg seemingly gets all the credit because he’s yells a lot and cusses.

He gets most of the credit because he has been preaching it for years. I know for certain that at least the large majority of the attitude, swagger and discipline came from him because I have heard him preach it. I've never met or heard Kitchen to know what he is all about.

Also, the idea that Gregg is a screamer and yells at players I completely wrong. Just because he talks tough doesn't mean he yells and carries on. 

Again, not arguing against Freddie for head coach at all. I am just calling it as a see it. Another thing I see which seems to favor my opinion is that not a single one of the other 7 clubs looking for a new head coach have called Freddie about being a HC. They have only called about OC which we have blocked. We cannot block him for a HC interview, yet no one has though he was good enough for an interview.

Archived