Serious thread: Freddie for HC

mistakey

4 hours ago, brownie man said:

I’m down make G Will the DC again and Freddie HC. Just don’t let Freddie go this offense is clicking 

**** they can both be joint HCs I don’t really care at all. Just keep what we got going 

I think that be a horrible idea

3 hours ago, ohiogenius said:

I mean like one on one stuff that an OC can do a HC couldnt do cuz he has to focus on the team overall.

I say keep Gregg, hire a great DC. Make Freddie AHC and then when Gregg inevitably shows hes not HC material you bump Freddie to HC

Why delay it? Fire another coach bring in more staff and start all over on defense and bring in new offensive guys. Sounds like a horrible recipe

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What makes anyone?

At some point you make an educated guess and see how it goes.

If we keep playing like this, he’s going to get a shot from someone.  I’d rather it be us.

%100 it’s a gamble. But he’s called 6 games. 6! I’m not afraid if someone else wants to give him a shot based on 6 games. Btw against not so great defenses. And not nearly enough time to figure him out. Somebody will. We don’t even know if he can adjust to what defenses will show him. 

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Why? The guy’s been in the league for over a decade.

It’s football, not molecular biology....

Because I think he’s ready to be an OC not a HC. Maybe in a few years or so. Getting Arians in gets good D coordinator and assistant coaches too.

16 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Because I think he’s ready to be an OC not a HC. Maybe in a few years or so. Getting Arians in gets good D coordinator and assistant coaches too.

I am good with this so long as we do not force the players to have to learn an entirely new D "system".

3 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

%100 it’s a gamble. But he’s called 6 games. 6! I’m not afraid if someone else wants to give him a shot based on 6 games. Btw against not so great defenses. And not nearly enough time to figure him out. Somebody will. We don’t even know if he can adjust to what defenses will show him. 

If he goes 6-2, I think you have to seriously consider him. I know Hue isn't the bar you judge by but winning twice as many games in 8 attempts as Hue did in 40... that shows a new culture at least.

Edit: I assumed you guys were talking about Williams, obviously it was Kitchens. Either way, I think both should be considered.

7 hours ago, pnies20 said:

No, I get where you stand, I’m asking why though.

What quality does he lack for being a HC in your opinion?

I am all in on the Freddie for HC train - even if it means a parting of the ways with Gregg.

As Gregg has stated many times - this is a production business. Freddie has more than proven that this year. True he has only been a coordinator since the Chargers game - but he has been an assistant coach for 11 years, and as far as I can tell, he has been successful at every stop along the way. One thing that Freddie has a million times over better than his predecessor is the respect of his players. That is NFL gold!

It has been mentioned earlier that the Rams, after a long search, hired Sean McVay as OC a year early, then promoted him to HC this past offseason. The wisdom of this is that your next head coach was already in your building. I see a very similar situation playing out on Lou Groza Blvd. Life's choices are seldom clear cut and easy. Most of the time a leap of faith is necessary. But if you look at Freddie's career and his life story - that leap of faith is more than warranted.

NFL GMs are far from stupid. They see the work that Freddie has done with Baker, and the production that has resulted. How may times now has Baker had a rough first half, but he and Freddie get together at halftime and figure it out so Baker has a lights out second half? That is NFL gold!

Dorsey may be forced to make that decision - as another team will certainly come calling for Freddie throwing megabucks at him. I would be very comfortable taking that risk and let Freddie sit in the big chair.

I'm big into the conspiracy theory that Arians has been pumping in play designs and concepts to Kitchens. It makes sense when you consider that Kitchens never called plays before in his career. I'd bank on Arians as HC with Kitchens as OC again and Gregg gets to hang around if another team doesn't pick him up for HC (they won't). 

2 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

I'm big into the conspiracy theory that Arians has been pumping in play designs and concepts to Kitchens. It makes sense when you consider that Kitchens never called plays before in his career. I'd bank on Arians as HC with Kitchens as OC again and Gregg gets to hang around if another team doesn't pick him up for HC (they won't). 

Um the way Kitchens is running the offense, it is nothing like Arians. Arians has ran the same offense he has always ran tho. It was the same offense that was good but it got Couch, Big Ben, Luck, and Palmer all Beat up. 

Idk Kitchen has been a NFL coach for 14 years, that’s more than Nagy and McVay. He was a 3 yr starter for Bama. His Bama experience to me is where he got his perfectionist mindset. 

Yeah Kitchens has limited experience as a OC but his make up, attitude, and approach makes it seem like he can be a HC. I think being an OC or DC shouldn’t be a requirement. It helps but shouldn’t hurt. We have seen plenty of great OCs be god awful HCs. Hue Jackson is the best example for that. 

The thing that I like the most about kitchen is he is a perfectionist. He harps on the details. I can’t remember if it was his 2nd or 3rd week as the OC, the Browns won and looked pretty good. In the press conference kitchen didn’t settle and accept everything cause they won. I want to see he was upset that the offense was messing up a couple formations. They were never flagged for it. I like it that he won’t accept little mistakes. If you let the little things go, they eventually turn into big things

20 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Um the way Kitchens is running the offense, it is nothing like Arians. Arians has ran the same offense he has always ran tho. It was the same offense that was good but it got Couch, Big Ben, Luck, and Palmer all Beat up. 

Idk Kitchen has been a NFL coach for 14 years, that’s more than Nagy and McVay. He was a 3 yr starter for Bama. His Bama experience to me is where he got his perfectionist mindset. 

Yeah Kitchens has limited experience as a OC but his make up, attitude, and approach makes it seem like he can be a HC. I think being an OC or DC shouldn’t be a requirement. It helps but shouldn’t hurt. We have seen plenty of great OCs be god awful HCs. Hue Jackson is the best example for that. 

The thing that I like the most about kitchen is he is a perfectionist. He harps on the details. I can’t remember if it was his 2nd or 3rd week as the OC, the Browns won and looked pretty good. In the press conference kitchen didn’t settle and accept everything cause they won. I want to see he was upset that the offense was messing up a couple formations. They were never flagged for it. I like it that he won’t accept little mistakes. If you let the little things go, they eventually turn into big things

1. Arians plays to strengths. The seven step drop backs in Zona were for Palmer. Check out https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/5317/5-bruce-arians-play-calling-philosophies-the-nfl-will-miss. Our offense has done every single one of these things since Kitchens took over. Offensive line play is a factor in every one of those QBs getting injured. 

2. Hue has been a coach forever too. That didn't make him any good. Coincidentally, hot young coordinators can be bad too. Didn't DeFilippo just get fired after looking like a HC candidate? This isn't a good argument at all. 

3. You're basing the whole argument about him being a perfectionist on comments made in a press conference? The team has still had a ton of penalties. That's not indicative of any "perfection." 

12 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

There are guys like Andy Reid who became successful Head Coaches based on their work with position groups who never called plays before getting in the big seat, so I don't necessarily see the fact Kitchens only called 6 games as a huge drawback. He should be considered on his body of work, personality, and vision for how to run a program. If those check out during the interview, it's a good gamble to take in my book.

Archived