Serious thread: Freddie for HC

mistakey

11 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

He’ll be attached to Arians hip and learning how to run a franchise as a HC from someone that did it a high level. I think it lowers the risk of Kitchens flopping as a HC and there’s really no downside. There’s continuity and establishing of solid assistants for him that he might not have had otherwise.

The downside would be if Kitchens is offered and accepts a HC job elsewhere in the meantime.

Don’t get me wrong, if Kitchens wants to stick around for a few years as the OC and eventually take over for Arians, great, but if I’m forced to choose I have to prolly pick Freddie based on his work with Baker.

I think this might be the best argument for Freddie as HC (assuming we can't keep him as OC alone). We have a rookie QB, a meh WR corps, and were saddled with Hue/Haley for half the year... and yet we're tied for 5th in explosive plays on the season.

Do not think that we have to play the Freddie card just yet

for 1 thing if Williams wins out his only losses would have been to the first and 2nd ranked teams in the afc

2greg Williams son has done a excellent job on points allowed holding teams like Atlanta and Denver below 20 points

3 Me personally I like his coaching style because sometimes he is on delay with the run game and sometimes he is go for it those types of coaches are extremely tough to categorize 

6 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Another thorn in this idea's paw is the fact that Dorsey has probably been squatting on who he wants for HC since he got the job. Dude is gonna get it right and Kitchens will hang on as the OC. 

what if kitchens the associate HC is the dude.

50 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

If we win out Gw would stay just because Hallam wants to sell tickets 

In a perfect world, Haslam won't be allowed near this decision with a 10 foot pole and will just give his sign off on whatever Dorsey decides.

This whole process of hiring a Head Coach in the NFL is completely screwed up anyway.

If you are a coordinator, you are good at what you do, which is coordinate an offense or defense.  The geniuses in the NFL don't bother looking at who the best coordinators are, they look at who the best offenses and defenses are in the NFL, and just make assumptions on those coordinators being the best.  Talent doesn't seem to matter at all in their eyes, its all about who is scoring the most points or giving up the least points.  It doesn't even really matter if you are directly responsible for the play calls.  Right now Eric Bieniemy and Matt LaFleur are looked at as candidates when everyone knows that Sean McVay and Andy Reid are really the ones running the show.  Also you have two of the most talented offenses in the NFL and its less about the creativity of the offense and more about how they are producing.

Then they take these guys who are best at calling plays and say, okay, now you're not calling plays, you are instead in charge of clock management, challenges, and the locker room.  You take a coach who has earned a living doing one thing becoming good at that one thing and take away those responsibilities and assume he will be good at the CEO the HC needs to be.

There is an argument to a coordinator like Josh McDaniels, or Sean McVay, or Kyle Shanahan, going in as the play caller who will take his system with him regardless of the coordinators, but honestly those people tend to crash and burn more often like Josh McDaniels did the first time because he was placed in charge of everything, draft, CEO, play calling, and that just wasn't his strengths.

I want to see us hire a good CEO.  A guy who knows coordinators and personnel around the league and if his offensive coordinator leaves, he can find the next one who will run a system that is best for the players on the team not just what the players at his old team were good at.  We need a guy who can be likes and respected in the locker room.  We need a guy who is good at clock management, who knows when to go for it, who is upfront with his coaching staff about those things so if its 3rd and 8 and we will go for it if we are close we can go for 6-7 yards and not 10-14.  We need someone who knows when to challenge, and we need someone who knows how to handle the media and the team problems arise.

Why is that the best coordinator?  Why is the guy who calls the plays the best at that?

I like the idea of John Harbaugh, Dave Toub, and Bruce Ariens the best.

Special teams coordinators deal more with handling players than calling plays.  Understand guys from the offense and defense.  Works with everyone on the team.  Also guys who have been successful at it before.  I think Jim can be a nut-job, but John has always impressed me the way he has handled things, and its never his offense.

I agree we should keep kitchens, and I think we probably need to get a new defensive coordinator, but I want our Head Coach to be just that, a Head Coach.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

From what I can tell anyway, he and Baker seem to get along well and work very well together.  Not sure if the importance of their relationship can be understated.  

As far as why it took him so long to become a coordinator, perhaps his lad back, “aw shucks” country personality didn’t do him any favors with the hiring suits?  Dunno..

I will say it looks like someone should have given him the gig before now, as he sure as hell looks ready and able.

Good points, but I still wonder how much is Kitchens and how much is Mayfield just being allowed to do what he does. He replaced TieRod, the offense is immediately better but he’s not allowed to audible. Hue et al are fired the offense gets even better now he is allowed to audible. 

Btw if people think I’m just picking on Kitchens, I’m actually the one who was a proponent of him being promoted to OC when many in here were wondering why. 

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

If we would have beat the bad Raiders and TB we'd be the leading #2 wildcard team right now. I know you want a Super Bowl but step one is getting to the playoffs and getting some experience. You do that by beating average and worse teams. I think these last 2 games are huge for us. If we can win out and beat a team trying to get a playoff spot in the process I think winning 6 out of 7 games is going to be really hard to ignore. If we hire a new coach and go 5-11 next year for whatever reason I don't know if he lasts beyond that season. If we lose either of the last two games I think it makes it easier to overlook the internal guys.

I honestly don’t care who we hire as long as he’s the right guy. We are set up to win for a long time to come with Mayfield and Dorsey. We can’t screw it up now. 

Archived