2019 Offseason/Draft

Dingo18287

Not too early to start the offseason discussion, right? Who you see leaving, what positions do you want to add, any interesting free agents?

Guys speculated to be gone- Ryan Kalil (retirement), Thomas Davis (retirement) Julius Peppers (retirement), Greg Olson (injuries and has a booth job), Mike Adams, Matt Kalil (suck-i-ness) 

Pending Free Agents- https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/carolina-panthers/ Eric Reid, Daryl Williams, Wes Horton, and Devin Funches are the most interesting names who could leave.

Ron Rivera- Is he gone, and is at least some of the staff gone?

Positions that need new bodies- OL, back up RB, DL, and both Safety positions. Maybe some competition for Graham Gano again too?

Edited by Dingo18287

I would love to resign Reid for a 4 years contract and go out big on a good FA DE. The rest must be fulfill through the draft. 

Concerning Riviera, I would like to see him next year since 2018 has been a terrible year onto the Panthers organization with the selling of the team. He showed us that he's a great defensive mind and he's willing to left the offense to Turner, which has been great at the beginning of the season. He deserve a second year with Tepper as an owner just to see what stability bring into the future. 

If we can re-sign Williams on a cheap 1 or 2 year deal, that would be huge.  This would give us the ability to move Moton to left tackle, and at that point left guard would be our only concerns along the offensive line (Larsen is a quality center).

This is going to be a greaaaat draft for defensive lineman, so I'm not concerned about finding someone there if we make the effort.  I hope we look into Clowney in the offseason too.  This team needs a game-changing player added to the defense and Clowney could be that guy for us in a 4-3.  Hopefully this would take some pressure off of Short too.

We've got to re-sign Reid.  Rivera has never put a heavy emphasis on the safety position before, but at least having Reid makes it so where we only have one hole at DB as opposed to two.

Edited by iknowcool

I would love to for us to take Clowney in FA but it's not our style to go big in FA so not going to hold my breath. In the draft, a pass rusher in the first, Guard in the 2nd and most definitely look at QB in the 3rd or 4th. I wouldn't be opposed to taking double dipping either. Cam's shoulder is a huge concern and it's best to have a backup plan. Looking forward to seeing what Heinicke has in a few hours

With the losses piling up, a chance at snatching Ed Oliver or Josh Allen is beginning to look more and more likely (no way Bosa falls to us without trading up).  That would be a game-changer. 

Not sure who the FA QBs are.  I'd rather not take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd because they more often than not don't pan out, and if Cam's shoulder is that much of a problem, we'll probably miss the playoffs again next year anyway.  That would put us in a position where we could take a QB in the 1st in 2020 in a much superior QB draft.  We just have too many holes IMO for a back-up QB that high.  But it really depends on who is available, because I don't think we could go with Heinicke as a back-up again.  Seems like a great dude, but he sucks.

Edited by iknowcool

I don't think this team is that far away.  Obviously, the biggest key is whether or not Cam's shoulder can heal and he can throw the ball down the field effectively enough to open up the play book and keep defenses honest.  If he can't get healthy, really any parts of the plan I'm about to discuss are really moot; we'll have a difficult season next year regardless.

To me, the way in which we've lost the season points a lot to a top-down coaching/culture issue.  The roster certainly is not perfect, and personnel issues along the offensive and defensive line are a problem, but when Cam was healthy, the team was good enough to compete.  But the myriad mistakes from clock management, situational play calling, etc., I think you have to chalk that up to coaching.  Sure, at some point, the players have to execute, but if the players continue to make these mistakes at the worst possible time, then you have to pin that on the coaches for not holding the players accountable, providing the guidance during the week or practices to correct these issues, and developing/executing game plans that put the players in better places to succeed.  So that being said, I'd prefer making a change in the coaching staff.  I don't think we will get that change, and I can understand the logic behind sticking with Rivera, as I don't see great alternative options out there.  I think we'll just have to hope that Rivera can recapture some of the magic from his more successful seasons.  He's proven that he can set the right culture to produce a tough team that can avoid these mistakes and win close games (2013, 2015, and 2017).  I don't know why that sort of direction doesn't stick in all the other years.  So in lieu of any major shake ups in the coaching staff, here's what I'd do personnel wise:

The biggest holes I see on this roster are on the trenches and at safety.  The defensive line is old, and the offensive line is lacking in higher end talent.  I think some of the guys we've been trotting out there on the offensive line actually are valuable depth, but shouldn't be starting.  We could use more weapons in the WR corps, but I'd feel comfortable for the most part with the guys we currently have.  Before Cam got hurt, the offense wasn't a problem.  Allocating resources to this position at the expense of the  offensive and defensive lines doesn't make sense. Unfortunately, the upcoming free agent class doesn't look to have a whole lot of difference makers at any position, and we're not swimming in cap space compared to some other teams.  I'd focus on making some smaller depth signings, particularly in the secondary and for the offensive skill positions.  We're good on the outside at CB, but we need a nickel back at minimum.  Safety is a problem as well.  Based on how Eric Reid is viewed around the league, that might actually work in our favor to be able to extend him, as I don't know if there will be much interest from other teams.  But we need to replace Mike Adams.  If we could get a serviceable starter at FS in FA, and make those other depth moves I've talked about, that would free us up to take the BPA along the offensive and defensive lines come draft time.  I don't follow college football to know who those guys would be, but basically, I'd like to exit the draft with our first four picks having consisted of a DE, DT, OT, and OG.  Obviously if BPA/value dictates that you double dip at one of those positions, or a really good safety is available in Round 2 or 3, you could adjust, but considering just how bad our trenches are/will be, we need to focus on infusing the lines with young talent.

• Like 1

My opinion on the following questions -

Coaching Staff - Ron stays for another year. Given the coaching candidates, I think we keep Ron for another year. Washington takes a demotion if he wants to stay on and possibly bring back Wilks if he is let go by ARI. 

Retirements - I think Kalil is gone for sure. Peppers is probably gone. TD said he wants to come back so we could give him a team friendly deal but it would have to be around the vet minimum. No way we should pay him 5mil again with our needs. Olsen is the true question mark. When he got injured again, it seems like he was leaning towards being done. His foot is seriously messed up and idk if he can play on it again. 

Free agency - Current Players - Try to sign Darryl, Reid, Obada and Horton. Let Funchess walk. Cut Munnerlyn.

Free agency - Other - As much as I'd like to sign Clowney, I think he'll get tagged. The Texans have the cap space to tag him and won't let him just walk with Watson on his rookie contract. We probably should look towards DE's in the middle tier like Flower, Flowers and Clark.

Draft - I agree with most of everyone here. I think it's key to infuse this defense with talent. DE, DT, S are all holes. Josh Allen, Clien Ferrell, Sweat, Oliver, Gary are all guys we should look at on the DL in the 1st and really only Thompson is the only safetly worth taking in the top 10. If we do take Thompson (which I'd be fine with), the depth on the DL allows us to fill the S need in the 1st and go DL in rounds 2/3. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, AJ23 said:

@RUN CMC, how do you think TD being gone (now that we know) will affect the defense?  The LB corps?

With having Shaq on his contract year and ready to step in TDs shoes, I still don't think it affects our top 3 needs which are DE, S and OL. I think it might cause us to look at a veteran in Free Agency. Also, we drafted two LBs (Carter and Smith) in the later rounds of last years draft so I don't think we will spend another late round draft (rounds 4 - 7) on another one. 

At the Senior Bowl, there are reports that Montez Sweat and Charles Omenihu really performed well all week. I think this helps us in the round 1 DE depth (Ferrell, Sweat, Polite, Burns) and round 2-3 DE depth (Zach Allen, Ferguson, Omenihu) to give us options on if we want to go OL in round 1 and DE in round 2-3. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, RUN CMC said:

Panthers just re-signed Eric Reid to a 3 year deal worth $22m total. Reports are coming out saying that $10m is guaranteed. Thoughts?

I love this resigning.. 7+ mil a year is a little higher than I thought but I trust our front office knows what they're doing