Vance Joseph to be fired at end of season (PFT)

Scalamania

On 12/21/2018 at 9:54 PM, Broncofan said:

He’s gone 0-for-3 in picking the QBOTF with Kubiak at his side (Siemian isn’t really on him it was just 2 horrible choices, but Oz / Lynch / Keenum are all on him) and he’s also picked the wrong HC with Joseph over Kyle Shanahan in 2017 (although hiring Kubiak to replace Fox was a missing piece to our SB50 win - Fox coached games to not lose instead of going for the W you don’t win close games & playoff games that way *cough* BAL AFCG *cough*).   And until 2018 his Day 2 draft record and 2014-17 day 1 record was very spotty.   Those have been his 3 main weaknesses.  Until 2016 the last 2 weren’t so obvious.   Having awful QB play sure makes the other problems stand out though. 

Now Elway still kills Day 3 / UDFA and his cap management and FA contract abilities are really strong.   And he was smart enough to overhaul his 2018 draft methodology to metrics and skill-based instead of shorts and t-shirts raw skills (a big reason for his day 2 whiffs).  Our 2018 draft return is already the best at Year 1since 2011, a foundation draft  that set up our 2013-15 window of contention.   And he had the SB48 and SB50 win under his GM CV.  Add in his legendary status pre-GM and it’s easy to see why he’s earned so much leash.   But if  Elway can’t figure out QBOTF evaluation (either 2019 or 2020) and he whiffs on the next HC then he’s the one on the hot seat.   It’s plenty warm already after 2 years of mediocrity.  

2016 we lost a lot of key guys and that was unavoidable.   One can argue a 2-3 year downturn was likely.  But not the  QB / HC whiffs.  That’s entirely on the GM.  Elway has earned a lot of leash but that’s likely used up with this next set of decisions.   His willingness to change draft methodology gives the fanbase hope he can address his QB picking weakness - but it’s a legit weakness and it all falls on him.   The key Q is whether or not he’s willing to change his QB / HC approach (QB probably more crucial given how bad he’s whiffed there 3x).    As @BroncosFan2010 said best - he’s not the golden boy anymore with the Midas touch.   He’s also well above replacement value - but not if he whiffs hard on QB/HC as badly as he did this time.  

I hate to have to tell you this, the only way John Elway gets fired is if the team is sold.  Theres not a Bowlan in the world that is firing John Elway at anything.  Your only hope is John realizes hes not that great and this isnt something he really wants to do, otherwise you better hope that he figures it all out. Bc there is no way in hell John is ever fired.  

25 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Cousins is a better QB than Keenum, no one is going to argue that.

But Cousins at $30m v Keenum at $18m? That’s a tough call. I’m not sure either of them are particularly desirable investments, to be quite honest with you. 

I would've taken Teddy at $10m this year honestly. I still believe in him.

But more so than that, I just wish he never got hurt. 😔 I think he would've done more than Bradford or Keenum and maybe even help win us the Superbowl this past season. He was turning the corner.

Archived