GDT 2018: Week 16 - Baltimore Ravens @ LA Chargers - Saturday Night Football

drd23

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

😆 I just realized that @Danand and me completely hijacked this thread.

Well the discussion has some relevance. While we can clinch a playoff spot with a win, we still have a playoff game in week 17 and how we avoid that is by getting the right personnel in next season - whether it is from the draft or free agency.

Last off season I thought we lacked playmakers - I somehow still think we do, but I would rather go oline and Marquise Brown than Brown first and then oline later. Just a matter of preferences and sometimes we win eachother over. I was pretty high on Derwin James and DJ Moore last season instead of talking about Billy Price etc. in the 1. round

49 minutes ago, Danand said:

Well the discussion has some relevance. While we can clinch a playoff spot with a win, we still have a playoff game in week 17 and how we avoid that is by getting the right personnel in next season - whether it is from the draft or free agency.

Last off season I thought we lacked playmakers - I somehow still think we do, but I would rather go oline and Marquise Brown than Brown first and then oline later. Just a matter of preferences and sometimes we win eachother over. I was pretty high on Derwin James and DJ Moore last season instead of talking about Billy Price etc. in the 1. round

😆 True. You’ve got me coming around on the Danish Mauler, Hjolte Froholdte.

Speaking of Hollywood Brown, I really like what I see with him as well. But he’s dedinitely someone I wish we had a second round pick for. Granted he’s probably going to go early 2nd round. I can certainly see a run on WRs starting late 1st to early 2nd with all these options.

But you’re right, this is going to be a really big free agency/offseason in letting us know what type of plan we’ll need in attacking the draft. It’s a lot of projection and that is likely big in determining our different vantage points. If Yanda retires suddenly OL becomes a much more prominent need in my mind. If Suggs and Weddle retire than those positions equally become huge needs in my mind as well.

As it stands I’m expecting Mosley, Jefferson, ZSmith, and MWilliams gone. While Weddle, Suggs, and Boyle return. But their is a lot of yet to be seen.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

😆 True. You’ve got me coming around on the Danish Mauler, Hjolte Froholdte.

Speaking of Hollywood Brown, I really like what I see with him as well. But he’s dedinitely someone I wish we had a second round pick for. Granted he’s probably going to go early 2nd round. I can certainly see a run on WRs starting late 1st to early 2nd with all these options.

But you’re right, this is going to be a really big free agency/offseason in letting us know what type of plan we’ll need in attacking the draft. It’s a lot of projection and that is likely big in determining our different vantage points. If Yanda retires suddenly OL becomes a much more prominent need in my mind. If Suggs and Weddle retire than those positions equally become huge needs in my mind as well.

As it stands I’m expecting Mosley, Jefferson, ZSmith, and MWilliams gone. While Weddle, Suggs, and Boyle return. But their is a lot of yet to be seen.

Froholdt is a player you draft to develop. He will most likely be projected to the 6th 7th round, and if he gets invited to the combine he could move up into the 4th because he will most likely move well. He lacks some physicality though, some brute strength that Yanda and Brown has, but he understands angles and is a good puller. If we could get him and develop him, then I could come around to draft oline later.

Brown screams DeSean Jackson to me, and that type always has a place on a roster due to their big play ability, if it is just for 2-3 times a game. It will be interesting to see if we can squeeze a 2. round pick out from trading Flacco.

Edit: I am very much for keeping Zardarius Smith, but I agree he fits the profile of a player we move on from.

1 minute ago, sp6488 said:

More impressive, UDFA LB history or 1st round corner history (Starks, McAllister, Smith, Humphrey)?

We tried, to trade up for Jalen Ramsey and Marshon Lattimore in the 1st too. The team has been on point lately with CB. It's hard to believe going from the position we were in a couple seasons ago to now as far as CB goes. Credit to the FO. 

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

We tried, to trade up for Jalen Ramsey and Marshon Lattimore in the 1st too. The team has been on point lately with CB. It's hard to believe going from the position we were in a couple seasons ago to now as far as CB goes. Credit to the FO. 

giphy.gifCorey+Ivy+Baltimore+Ravens+v+Cleveland+B

Frank Walker and Corey Ivy have issue with this statement. They cover everyone. They are the Tony Jefferson of the cornerback position. Elite elite elite.

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Frank "The Magician" Walker. Dude could make a completion appear out of nowhere.

It would’ve been a sight to see to have had both of those guys play on the same squad at the same time.

Corey Ivy was literally the worst secondary player I have ever seen. Its bad when Walker looked like an upgrade at the nickel. If Frank Walker was Darth Pees than Ivy was Darth Mattison... and he used to talk the most trash too. Get beat 7 times consecutively, the receiver drops an easy completion and Ivy talks trash like HE was the reason the receiver dropped the ball. Only to get torched 5 more times. Man that dude was so fraud. So glad we’re solidied at the nickel.

And it’s really crazy how versatile both Brandon Carr and Marlon Humphrey have become this season with their ability to cover both inside and out. They are the reason this defense has truly lifted to new heights. There versatility really makes what our secondary very dangerous.

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

Get beat 7 times consecutively, the receiver drops an easy completion and Ivy talks trash like HE was the reason the receiver dropped the ball. Only to get torched 5 more times.

One of the most annoying occurrences in all of football. Some coaches actually tell players to celebrate that stuff as a mentality thing, but it doesn't gel with me. 

3 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

And it’s really crazy how versatile both Brandon Carr and Marlon Humphrey have become this season with their ability to cover both inside and out. They are the reason this defense has truly lifted to new heights.

Both are in the top 5 for Coverage Rating on PP.  Marlon is rated top in the league. Both are stellar off the field too. Marlon's little Cell Phone mix up aside :D.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/marlon-humphrey/

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/brandon-carr

7 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

It would’ve been a sight to see to have had both of those guys play on the same squad at the same time.

Corey Ivy was literally the worst secondary player I have ever seen. Its bad when Walker looked like an upgrade at the nickel. If Frank Walker was Darth Pees than Ivy was Darth Mattison... and he used to talk the most trash too. Get beat 7 times consecutively, the receiver drops an easy completion and Ivy talks trash like HE was the reason the receiver dropped the ball. Only to get torched 5 more times. Man that dude was so fraud. So glad we’re solidied at the nickel.

And it’s really crazy how versatile both Brandon Carr and Marlon Humphrey have become this season with their ability to cover both inside and out. They are the reason this defense has truly lifted to new heights. There versatility really makes what our secondary very dangerous.

Them of course, but also Young and Smith.  Young gets a bit of a bad rap due to the Cinci game (IMO).  Smith same due to contract number, suspension and a few bad plays when he first came back (again IMO).  I can't find the post/article, but recently they were all four in the top-30 rated CBs per PFF (I believe Ken McKusick shared it***).  Having three starting-caliber outside corners that rotate and a strong slot option has been invaluable for slowing down opponent passing, particularly when the pass rush has had trouble getting home.  Not saying those other two guys have been incredible, but I don't think there's another team that can come close to boasting four starting-caliber options, particularly this late in the season.

***If you're not following KM (@filmstudyravens), what are you doing?

7 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

One of the most annoying occurrences in all of football. Some coaches actually tell players to celebrate that stuff as a mentality thing, but it doesn't gel with me. 

Both are in the top 5 for Coverage Rating on PP.  Marlon is rated top in the league. Both are stellar off the field too. Marlon's little Cell Phone mix up aside :D.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/marlon-humphrey/

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/brandon-carr

Where are all the folks saying that Ozzie only drafted him because he was an Alabama guy (despite the two supposedly better options he passed on being Bama players as well)?  :D

Archived