GDT 2018: Week 16 - Baltimore Ravens @ LA Chargers - Saturday Night Football

drd23

1 hour ago, sp6488 said:

Them of course, but also Young and Smith.  Young gets a bit of a bad rap due to the Cinci game (IMO).  Smith same due to contract number, suspension and a few bad plays when he first came back (again IMO).  I can't find the post/article, but recently they were all four in the top-30 rated CBs per PFF (I believe Ken McKusick shared it***).  Having three starting-caliber outside corners that rotate and a strong slot option has been invaluable for slowing down opponent passing, particularly when the pass rush has had trouble getting home.  Not saying those other two guys have been incredible, but I don't think there's another team that can come close to boasting four starting-caliber options, particularly this late in the season.

***If you're not following KM (@filmstudyravens), what are you doing?

Absolutely and their value on the defense is definitely obvious. But the reason I point out Marlon and Carr is because of their inside/outside ability. Jimmy is a pure outside corner and Young is a pure inside corner, when each has played in the other role they’ve not looked as good. And when Smith first came back it looked as if Marlon’s play regressed. Because he was much better on the outside. But after about 3-4 games he started truly developing inside and now he’s a stud no matter where he’s lined up. He’s fully comfortable in any role. While some offenses were able to take advantage of his uncomfortability inside earlier in the season, now his versatility puts him on another level as a corner. Couple that with his strong ability in both man AND zone coverage (Jimmy has struggled in zone coverage throughout his career) and I think this time next season (Barring injury- like with Webb) we might be talking about MH29 as the best corner in Ravens history.

31 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Absolutely and their value on the defense is definitely obvious. But the reason I point out Marlon and Carr is because of their inside/outside ability. Jimmy is a pure outside corner and Young is a pure inside corner, when each has played in the other role they’ve not looked as good. And when Smith first came back it looked as if Marlon’s play regressed. Because he was much better on the outside. But after about 3-4 games he started truly developing inside and now he’s a stud no matter where he’s lined up. He’s fully comfortable in any role. While some offenses were able to take advantage of his uncomfortability inside earlier in the season, now his versatility puts him on another level as a corner. Couple that with his strong ability in both man AND zone coverage (Jimmy has struggled in zone coverage throughout his career) and I think this time next season (Barring injury- like with Webb) we might be talking about MH29 as the best corner in Ravens history.

Might be tough to pass CMac by next year, but I love where your head is at. 

5 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

giphy.gifCorey+Ivy+Baltimore+Ravens+v+Cleveland+B

Frank Walker and Corey Ivy have issue with this statement. They cover everyone. They are the Tony Jefferson of the cornerback position. Elite elite elite.

Are y'all forgetting the days of Shareece Wright? He made Frank Walker and his braces look like Darrelle Revis with how often he got burnt up and down the field. At least Frank Walker was just a nickel we could take off the field most of the time. Pees was convinced Shareece Wright was a starting damn CB for this team.

Then we had guys like Fabian Washington and Dominique Foxworth starting at the same time, along with other guys like Chris Carr and Rashaan Melvin (who actually doesn't look all that bad now for the Raiders...).

Dark times in the secondary until Brandon Carr arrived here, honestly. That allowed us to have a solid #2 behind Jimmy, and then we drafted Marlon and now its all gravy.

7 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Where are all the folks saying that Ozzie only drafted him because he was an Alabama guy (despite the two supposedly better options he passed on being Bama players as well)?  :D

I have mentioned several times I misjudged him. The concerns about him never being able to locate the ball in the air was legitimate, and my concern that he would have tight coverage only to see the receiver make the catch anyway was shared by many. Fortunately he has been really good at adding that skill which has made him a much better cornerback and I am happy we added him.

Beside the Cincinatti game, where they really exposed us schemewise by putting Green on Young, he has been one of our best and most consistent performers on defense.

Archived