2019 OffSeason V1

GWH87

On 12/22/2018 at 2:11 PM, jleisher said:

All good points.  Ford I believe is a better fit at RG then Tackle.  I feel ya man, good job.  Sometimes moves that seem to be unpopular are the moves that make the most improvements.  I feel ya, nice job.

Appreciate the kind words, a different flavor isn't always bad as some make it seem.

1 minute ago, GWH87 said:

Maybe he's saying lighten up a little, last time we all checked our fodder on here doesn't mean squat. The last relevant material you've posted might be quite outdated so bend but don't break.

That being said it's a mock for a reason, you've been hell bent the last how many ever TT years we haven't survived that our measurables for player are a certain metric.

Where has that gotten this franchise? Approach a re-tool angle or be drafting in the top 10 for the next decade. I'd be willing to take a shot at Bell knowing he'd perform on the field than have a surplus a cash doing nothing. Go down swinging, which they initiated with 12s contract.

Break the status quo, which Gute has done by sending Jordy out, Mac, etc. The purge isn't completed and this will be his first off season to act as he'd like in support of a coach he wants at the helm. Hang on tight sweetheart. No feelings have been hurt in any of this, I'm willing to burn cash if it's destroying my product and future earnings. You should be willing to do the same or get passed by.

1. Not racking up huge amounts of dead cap space isn't a "TT approach" it's a "Don't be a moron" approach.

2. Who the hell is advocating for having a surplus of cash doing nothing? Nobody has ever done this. The Packers have spent up to the salary cap every single year except for the last one of Thompson's tenure. This idea that Thompson was not spending money so he could hoard it is incorrect.

3. The comparison between Bell and nothing is wrong. The comparison is between Bell and whatever the hell else you could buy for 13 million dollars.

4. How the hell is Rodgers contract a matter of going down swinging? That was the most common sense move any franchise made all year.

5. Thompson cut  or didn't resign veterans. The difference is that you liked Jordy personally. Also are we sure that was a great move considering the conversation that's being had about rookies? Getting rid of McCarthy wasn't anything that made sense in Thompson's tenure.

6. Who is destroying your product and future earning?

Regarding Graham...was he the "crowned jewel" of Gute's first dip into free agency?  I don't think he gives up and admits a mistake after one year.  That isn't a wise thing to do.

At the very least...Graham draws coverage...we saw that again yesterday.  You honestly aren't getting that production and defensive attention at the tight end position for $5M or less next year, which is what you would have to replace Graham.

Smarter money is on keeping Graham while complimenting him with Tonyan and/or another developmental tight end.  The time to move on from Jimmy is in another 12-13 months.

And...I was critical of this mock...but I do very much appreciate the effort.

13 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

1. Not racking up huge amounts of dead cap space isn't a "TT approach" it's a "Don't be a moron" approach.

2. Who the hell is advocating for having a surplus of cash doing nothing? Nobody has ever done this. The Packers have spent up to the salary cap every single year except for the last one of Thompson's tenure. This idea that Thompson was not spending money so he could hoard it is incorrect.

3. The comparison between Bell and nothing is wrong. The comparison is between Bell and whatever the hell else you could buy for 13 million dollars.

4. How the hell is Rodgers contract a matter of going down swinging? That was the most common sense move any franchise made all year.

5. Thompson cut  or didn't resign veterans. The difference is that you liked Jordy personally. Also are we sure that was a great move considering the conversation that's being had about rookies? Getting rid of McCarthy wasn't anything that made sense in Thompson's tenure.

6. Who is destroying your product and future earning?

But have a player on the field that compromises the rise of the team, Graham "might draw" coverage but this season has shown he can't get a contested ball to save his life. So he won't be getting the attention he should. I'm fine with keeping Bulaga & Perry potentially but Graham isn't the answer and you gain progress but cutting lose pieces that don't move you forward. I'd take a rookie TE that might have 3-4 splash games throughout the season than Jimmy. Which means it's only 1yr of dead cap, not multiple which is why they signed the contract that way, an easy exit if needed.

TT always left space where he could have found veterans to fill rolls and produce on fill in role positions. He did hoard but not to spend outside, he re-invested in extending players which worked in a couple areas but hurt the depth of the team in years past.

Who would you target with 13mil on the market that isn't going to get the franchise tag? Even if it's 2 players? Knowing we need an impact player.

Rodgers performance this yr vs years past might not mean it was a total slam dunk, hoping we all get to see the Aaron of old next year.

Who didn't have an attachment to Jordy? Top 3 packers WR of all time, but as others there comes a time to move on it's a business, which is what they will be faced with around the 3 players I listed as cuts this offseason regardless of dead cap space, if it means progress for the team you carry it.

Jordy v Rookies = 47 grabs 586yrd 3TDs / 56 grabs 866yrd 2TDs (so not sure your argument here?) These rookies have brought pieces to the offense Jordy didn't have anymore and what he did bring Tae picked up the slack. The excuse from 12 all year is bogus, a great QB and leader doesn't blame youth, he works with it to their strengths to make the team great. Not Aaron's game but if it was I can't imagine how unstoppable he'd be. This rookie class was the right move.

Talking about the org for the final one not myself, but in the event I needed to lose current capital (salary cap space) to drive better volume/product afterwards where I'd get my waste back and then some. Why the hell wouldn't you? 

Always appreciate constructive criticism, the childish rhetoric however makes folks scratch their heads wondering how with responses like that you feel you opinion is valid. 

I am curious to know with mid to high 40m in cap space where you'd like to allocate that spend? Knowing there isn't anyone on the team now that is worthy of an extension with that $$

1 minute ago, GWH87 said:

But have a player on the field that compromises the rise of the team, Graham "might draw" coverage but this season has shown he can't get a contested ball to save his life. So he won't be getting the attention he should. I'm fine with keeping Bulaga & Perry potentially but Graham isn't the answer and you gain progress but cutting lose pieces that don't move you forward. I'd take a rookie TE that might have 3-4 splash games throughout the season than Jimmy. Which means it's only 1yr of dead cap, not multiple which is why they signed the contract that way, an easy exit if needed.

TT always left space where he could have found veterans to fill rolls and produce on fill in role positions. He did hoard but not to spend outside, he re-invested in extending players which worked in a couple areas but hurt the depth of the team in years past.

Who would you target with 13mil on the market that isn't going to get the franchise tag? Even if it's 2 players? Knowing we need an impact player.

Rodgers performance this yr vs years past might not mean it was a total slam dunk, hoping we all get to see the Aaron of old next year.

Who didn't have an attachment to Jordy? Top 3 packers WR of all time, but as others there comes a time to move on it's a business, which is what they will be faced with around the 3 players I listed as cuts this offseason regardless of dead cap space, if it means progress for the team you carry it.

Jordy v Rookies = 47 grabs 586yrd 3TDs / 56 grabs 866yrd 2TDs (so not sure your argument here?) These rookies have brought pieces to the offense Jordy didn't have anymore and what he did bring Tae picked up the slack. The excuse from 12 all year is bogus, a great QB and leader doesn't blame youth, he works with it to their strengths to make the team great. Not Aaron's game but if it was I can't imagine how unstoppable he'd be. This rookie class was the right move.

Talking about the org for the final one not myself, but in the event I needed to lose current capital (salary cap space) to drive better volume/product afterwards where I'd get my waste back and then some. Why the hell wouldn't you? 

Always appreciate constructive criticism, the childish rhetoric however makes folks scratch their heads wondering how with responses like that you feel you opinion is valid. 

I am curious to know with mid to high 40m in cap space where you'd like to allocate that spend? Knowing there isn't anyone on the team now that is worthy of an extension with that $$

Graham is 10th in receptions, 7th in yards, 11th in plays of 20+ yards or more, and 6th in first downs among TEs in the NFL this year. The only thing he hasn't been a top 10 guy in is TDs. Graham is not the problem. He's not holding this team back.

Look at the history of rookie TEs. They're NEVER productive, and I'm not being dramatic when I say that. The best rookie year for a TE in NFL history is 722 yards by Evan Engram who is a Tight End in name only. John Carlson is second at 627. Yes, Graham is going to have more yards this year than the second best rookie Tight End season ever. 

TT in the first year of the new CBA didn't spend 7 million dollars. He rolled that 7 million dollars over every season, not a new 7 million dollars, that same 7 million dollars. Over the course of his tenure that would have amounted to not spending roughly 500k under the salary cap each season. He did that so he could bring somebody in at the last minute or if he needed to execute a trade. He spent up to the NFL salary cap almost every year, the Packers cap was 7 million higher because of that roll over. 

Demarcus Lawrence if the Cowboys can't stomach tagging him in back to back years. Whichever of Mathieu/Clowney the Texans don't franchise tag. Earl Thomas even would get some consideration. 

The comparison isn't Jordy vs. the Rookies, it's Jordy at whatever you could have argued him down to against Cobb and his cap hit. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Graham is 10th in receptions, 7th in yards, 11th in plays of 20+ yards or more, and 6th in first downs among TEs in the NFL this year. The only thing he hasn't been a top 10 guy in is TDs. Graham is not the problem. He's not holding this team back.

And probably like 100th in actual targets. 

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Look at the history of rookie TEs. They're NEVER productive, and I'm not being dramatic when I say that. The best rookie year for a TE in NFL history is 722 yards by Evan Engram who is a Tight End in name only. John Carlson is second at 627. Yes, Graham is going to have more yards this year than the second best rookie Tight End season ever. 

TT in the first year of the new CBA didn't spend 7 million dollars. He rolled that 7 million dollars over every season, not a new 7 million dollars, that same 7 million dollars. Over the course of his tenure that would have amounted to not spending roughly 500k under the salary cap each season. He did that so he could bring somebody in at the last minute or if he needed to execute a trade. He spent up to the NFL salary cap almost every year, the Packers cap was 7 million higher because of that roll over. 

Demarcus Lawrence if the Cowboys can't stomach tagging him in back to back years. Whichever of Mathieu/Clowney the Texans don't franchise tag. Earl Thomas even would get some consideration. 

The comparison isn't Jordy vs. the Rookies, it's Jordy at whatever you could have argued him down to against Cobb and his cap hit. 

The Texans have an absurd amount of cap space so not only will they retain both those guys they will get others. Lawrence or David Irving could be had, I feel the reward with Thomas out weighs any risk with what he can bring from an attitude, leadership and GSD mentality which our secondary needs. He's a must in my book.

As I said with TE however is I didn't expect them to splash but for a couple games. Graham's stats have come this season in garbage pieces not game changing pieces, which is where I feel a rookie TE in small amounts could surpass him. I'd take half the Graham production for splash plays from the position, effect blocking and TDs when needed. That exchange for me is greater.

That roll over with zero action is what most aware of it got irritated about, invest it upfront. Saving it as a cushion that was never needed or acted on is detrimental. Lets just say vet TE instead of Bostik a couple seasons back, maybe we are talking 2 rings. I get it's hind sight but I know Mercedes Lewis does his job on that play, not looking to be a hero.

Archived