Best All Time Offense?

ZenoRazon

On 12/24/2018 at 7:16 AM, Yin-Yang said:

Think he meant as far as which QB should represent Denver’s all-time offense. Manning had the best single season but Elway’s the legacy guy and considered an all-time great in his own respect.

Elways was more impressive dragging those "who dat?" offense to SBs in 86, 87, and 89 than he was riding shotgun on the TD express to wins in 97 and 98 - when you can't name any of the other players on offense from the 80s Broncos but know a half-dozen of the guys from the 90s teams, it isn't recency bias, it's because Elway's teammates were WAY BETTER. 

I'd be willing to take my chances with this group for the Vikings.  Having an offensive line made up completely of Hall of Famers and blocking for AD and Herschel would be a sight to see.  Of course, if you want to stop our run game, there is always the matter of our passing game, made up of a Hall of Fame quarterback and some pretty pesky receivers.  Oh yeah.  I'd like our chances with this group. :)

Head Coach - Bud Grant
Offensive Coordinator - Dennis Green
Defensive Coordinator - Mike Zimmer

QB - Fran Tarkenton  (HOF)

RB1 - Adrian Peterson (Future HOF)
RB2 - Herschel Walker

FB - Bill Brown

WR1 - Randy Moss  (HOF)
WR2 - Cris Carter  (HOF)
Slot - Percy Harvin

TE - Steve Jordan / Jim Kleinsasser

LT - Gary Zimmerman  (HOF)

LG - Randall McDaniel  (HOF)

C - Mick Tingelhoff  (HOF)

RG - Steve Hutchinson  (Future HOF)

RT - Ron Yary  (HOF)

Green Bay: 

QB - Rodgers

RB - Taylor (2nd best RB in his era, but when they best guy is Jim Brown, that ain't no sin)
 - John Brockington (all things being relative, he led the NFC in rushing twice, even if his <1200 yds aren't super impressive by today's standards)

- Clarke Hinkle (4 time All Pro RB/LB who retired as the NFL's all-time leading rusher)

WR - Don Hutson (again, I'm going less by pure talent and more by production relative to their time, and Hutson is inarguably the most dominant WR EVER....he was outpacing entire TEAMS as far as yds and tds; retired as all-time leader in rec, yds, and tds; rec and yds record stood for 18 yrs, td record stood for 44)
- James Lofton (retired as all-time leader in rec yds; top 6 in rec yds every year from 80-85)

- Billy Howton (he was the guy who passed Hutson as the all-time leader in yds and rec; led league in rec yds twice)

- Sterling Sharpe (7 yr career, led league in rec 3 times, rec tds twice, rec yds once; set the single-season rec record TWICE in his career; 3 time All-Pro; I was a bit too young to fully appreciate Lofton, but Sharpe is hands-down the finest WR I've ever seen play for GB)

TE - Paul Coffman (avg yr in GB if you take out his rookie year - 45-600-6; 3 time Pro Bowler)

OT - Forrest Gregg (Vince Lombardi called him "the finest player I ever coached!"...which considering some of the players he was associated with on the Giants and Packers, is some high praise; 7 time All-Pro)
OG - Jerry Kramer (5 time All Pro)
C - Jim Ringo (6 time All Pro)
OG - Josh Sitton (not quite as decorated as the above, but a damn fine modern OG)
OT - David Bakhtiari (currently regarded as the finest LT in the game)

9 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

No love for Chuck Foreman?

Not much.  Chuck was OK, but with this passing game, and running through the holes that O-line would have opened up, Herschel would have been pretty much unstoppable.  Far more than Chuck would have been, IMO.  In this offense, I would probably even take Robert Smith over Chuck, but that's just me.  I would bet that Vike Daddy and some of the other Valhalla "Ancients" would disagree with me on that.  

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Maybe a little bit, but I also like what Percy adds as a kick returner so I went with him.

diggs made it as a returner in college and was used several times a few years ago on the Vikings effevtively

percy harvin is the most overrated player I can think of in the last twenty years in the NFL

On 12/23/2018 at 12:02 AM, Calvert28 said:

Cowboys- In terms of talent build for one season run.

QB- Roger Staubach

RB- Ezekiel Elliott/ Tony Dorsett/ Emmitt Smith

FB- Daryl Johnston

WR- Micheal Irvin/ Dez Bryant/ Bob Hayes/ Drew Pearson

TE- Jason Witten/ Jay Novacek/ Mike Ditka

LT- Tyron Smith

LG- Larry Allen

C- Travis Frederick

RG- Zack Martin

RT- Rayfield Wright

That OL at its peak is the greatest unit football could make. Can you imagine the carnage? 

There are a few adjustments I would make to this roster, but overall its ridiculous. 

Archived