If Chase Roullier Looks Good at Center....

MKnight82

Let's assume for arguments sake that Roullier comes out and looks great as the starting Center.  What do we do when Long comes back?  Move Long back to LG and bench Lauvao?  I mean the staff has got to be concerned about how awful Lauvao has looked.  

LT Williams

LG Long

C Roullier

RG Scherff

RT Moses

or even better

LT Williams

LG Nsekhe

C Roullier

RG Scherff

RT Moses

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Let's assume for arguments sake that Roullier comes out and looks great as the starting Center.  What do we do when Long comes back?  Move Long back to LG and bench Lauvao?  I mean the staff has got to be concerned about how awful Lauvao has looked.  

LT Williams

LG Long

C Roullier

RG Scherff

RT Moses

or even better

LT Williams

LG Nsekhe

C Roullier

RG Scherff

RT Moses

Assuming for a moment that Rouiller and the rest of the line look good (remember: center is responsible for line calls), I think it's possible that Long could compete with Lauvao. I wouldn't put much faith in that happening without an injury simply because the muscle memory and responsibilities that Long has been preparing for don't line up with Lauvao's responsibilities are.

Given than the coaching staff has apparently never even considered Nsekhe inside, I have to assume that's unrealistic outside of a "body bag" game. Arguably, it would go to Long or (more likely) Kalis before it went to Nsekhe.

In thinking about it, I kind of understand why they aren't trying Nsekhe out at guard. If it works and he becomes the starting left guard, they have absolutely zero behind both Williams and Moses. Should something happen to either tackle, they would be in an even worse position (moving Nsekhe back out to tackle, lowering the talent there and at left guard). Again, it could also be due to muscle memory/responsibilities.

Given than the coaching staff has apparently never even considered Nsekhe inside, I have to assume that's unrealistic outside of a "body bag" game. Arguably, it would go to Long or (more likely) Kalis before it went to Nsekhe.

We had that, they put Williams at G and put Nsekhe at LT.

Just now, turtle28 said:

I'd definitely move Long to LG and bench Lauvao or if Roullier looks good as a blocker but misses some calls as a center, they could decide to move Roullier to LG to take over for Lauvao and put Long back at center.

Honestly, if Rouiller looks good, either Long or Lauvao is going to the bench/getting cut. Both have looked significantly bad this preseason.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I'd definitely move Long to LG and bench Lauvao or if Roullier looks good as a blocker but misses some calls as a center, they could decide to move Roullier to LG to take over for Lauvao and put Long back at center.

I should have listed that.  Its probably one of the more likely options.  

Ugh, two top 5 picks at Guard.  Idk about that man.  

It's not ideal, but as I said above, it may simply due to the fact that Nsekhe is 6'8". Honestly, that was emergency situation last season. I don't think that would be the first (or even second or third) choice.

We could cut Lauvao to save money to cut McClain lol.  

I know you're just joking around, but the front office needs to be cold hearted and evaluate each player on this team as to whether they will contribute going forward. Only in the case of two players having relatively equal skill sets should the cap calculation come in.

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

It's not ideal, but as I said above, it may simply due to the fact that Nsekhe is 6'8". Honestly, that was emergency situation last season. I don't think that would be the first (or even second or third) choice.

Alex Boone played on the 49ers team that went to the super bowl and he's 6'8. If the only reason Callahan/Gruden haven't tried it is because Nsekhe is over 6'5, shame on them, they could be really hurting the team for not trying it. We all know Nsekhe is athletic enough and strong enough to do it, he may have some issues getting low on DL in short yardage but that's been an issue for all of our OL, including our 2 pro bowlers.

It's pre-season, these guys love Lauvao because he has the athleticism to get outside as a lead blocker and work in space.  He's not in danger of losing his job unless the poor play continues into the regular season.  Same with Spencer Long, he proved last year he could handle center, and just had minor surgery, so again, unless it carries into the regular season, Long's job is safe. 

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

It's pre-season, these guys love Lauvao because he has the athleticism to get outside as a lead blocker and work in space.  He's not in danger of losing his job unless the poor play continues into the regular season.  Same with Spencer Long, he proved last year he could handle center, and just had minor surgery, so again, unless it carries into the regular season, Long's job is safe. 

Except it was his poor play last season that had a bunch of us (myself included) calling for him to be replaced. He's not good and with Long suddenly looking shaky (whether from injury, rust, nerves, or who knows what), the interior of the offensive line looks to be as strong as wet one-ply toilet paper.

Archived