If Chase Roullier Looks Good at Center....

MKnight82

Just now, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Probably should Roullier on the side of caution and leave the starting 5 as is if they're playing well as a unit.

Don't make me Chase you out of here due to these horrible puns.

I can see where Trevor Matich is going (if Rouiller performs well, kick Long out to guard like we discussed). The problem with that is Matich's plan to have Lauvao be a "quality" backup. I'm sorry, backups don't make $5M. Only Cousins, Pryor, Reed, Trent, Scherff, Kerrigan, and Norman would have a higher 2017 cap value than Lauvao. All of those guys are mainline starters.

47 minutes ago, Woz said:

I can see where Trevor Matich is going (if Rouiller performs well, kick Long out to guard like we discussed). The problem with that is Matich's plan to have Lauvao be a "quality" backup. I'm sorry, backups don't make $5M. Only Cousins, Pryor, Reed, Trent, Scherff, Kerrigan, and Norman would have a higher 2017 cap value than Lauvao. All of those guys are mainline starters.

The problem is with Kouandjio looking like a bust we're pretty thin at Guard.  But honestly how could a UDFA really be that much worse than Lauvao?  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

The problem is with Kouandjio looking like a bust we're pretty thin at Guard.  But honestly how could a UDFA really be that much worse than Lauvao?  

Lauvao does have an inherent advantage: he's seen a bunch of things and has matched up against a bunch of these guys. As such, he has (hopefully) learned a few of their tendencies and can use that. Now, the fact he cannot actually block them is a problem, but just having that experience in the fire and knowledge can help mask some physical deficiencies.

We don't know if Kalis can actually play. We do know he has none of that experience and wisdom. So as of right this second, Lauvao would be a better option on paper. Yes, the only way to gain experience is to do it, so it will come down to whether the team wants to pay Lauvao the money in the last year of his contract versus gambling on a rookie.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Lauvao does have an inherent advantage: he's seen a bunch of things and has matched up against a bunch of these guys. As such, he has (hopefully) learned a few of their tendencies and can use that. Now, the fact he cannot actually block them is a problem, but just having that experience in the fire and knowledge can help mask some physical deficiencies.

We don't know if Kalis can actually play. We do know he has none of that experience and wisdom. So as of right this second, Lauvao would be a better option on paper. Yes, the only way to gain experience is to do it, so it will come down to whether the team wants to pay Lauvao the money in the last year of his contract versus gambling on a rookie.

He's seen a bunch of guys go right past him.  

Do you want to pay $5 mil in very mediocre insurance or like $500k for a chance to find out if we don't have to draft a Guard next year?  

21 hours ago, Woz said:

Except it was his poor play last season that had a bunch of us (myself included) calling for him to be replaced. He's not good and with Long suddenly looking shaky (whether from injury, rust, nerves, or who knows what), the interior of the offensive line looks to be as strong as wet one-ply toilet paper.

Neither one of them played great last year, from most reports Long missed some calls in Protection and things in the run game which hurt our offense at time and probably affected our guards as well. 

Lauvao had issues but the only game I remember him being totally horrible in was vs arguably the 2nd best interior DL in the NFL - Calias Campbell - and the Cardinals.

They're not great but not the worst in the league either. If we can upgrade them, then do it, but I'm not sure we have anyone better except maybe playing Nsekhe at LG but we've never tried that so I have to believe Callahan is against it.

im definitely disappointed that we didn't cut Lauvao and sign what we would have perceived to be a better guard in March though. That was a disappointment.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

He's seen a bunch of guys go right past him.  

Do you want to pay $5 mil in very mediocre insurance or like $500k for a chance to find out if we don't have to draft a Guard next year?  

I'd probably go option C: play the kid with the $500K contract and draft a guard next year.

Just now, turtle28 said:

Lauvao had issues but the only game I remember him being totally horrible in was vs arguably the 2nd best interior DL in the NFL - Calias Campbell - and the Cardinals.

Have you not watched the past two preseason games? He's getting beat like a drum.

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

Have you not watched the past two preseason games? He's getting beat like a drum.

They haven't been practicing for any of the stunts and things different DLs will do or blitzes. Maybe it doesn't matter, maybe it doesn't I'm not an expert but the so called experts keep saying that over and over.

Archived