If Chase Roullier Looks Good at Center....

MKnight82

32 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Baltimore ran some blitzes that's Gruden said they hadn't practiced for and weren't prepared for aka, they weren't game planning and studying anything opposing defenses could be doing to them.

Naked stunts are not something you need to "practice for" or "prepare for" when you're a professional OL. The OL and RBs should've identified, communicated and solved the problem. They didn't. That's on them as professionals.

20 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Naked stunts are not something you need to "practice for" or "prepare for" when you're a professional OL. The OL and RBs should've identified, communicated and solved the problem. They didn't. That's on them as professionals.

It's communicated though and obviously they didn't communicate. Everyone puts that on one OL, but as many reporters keeps saying and the coaches it's not just about one guy in the OL. The whole Ol messed up at some points on given plays and so did the backs.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

It's communicated though and obviously they didn't communicate. Everyone puts that on one OL, but as many reporters keeps saying and the coaches it's not just about one guy in the OL. The whole Ol messed up at some points on given plays and so did the backs.

Yes. That's on them not communicating. That's not on the coaches. That's also not on them not practicing against it. They are pros. They have seen this type of thing before. This was on them not identifying it and working as one unit. Blaming it on lack of practice and preparation reeks of "Excuses" to me.

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yes. That's on them not communicating. That's not on the coaches. That's also not on them not practicing against it. They are pros. They have seen this type of thing before. This was on them not identifying it and working as one unit. Blaming it on lack of practice and preparation reeks of "Excuses" to me.

I see it differently but no use in continuing to argue over it. If they never went over how they'd handle it in a meeting or practice then they didn't know what to communicate aka they weren't prepared for them.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I see it differently but no use in continuing to argue over it. If they never went over how they'd handle it in a meeting or practice then they didn't know what to communicate aka they weren't prepared for them.

Turtle - that's an excuse. Players play the game. Each one of those guys has seen that before in their HS, college and professional careers. You don't need the coach to go over every permutation of defensive scheme to coordinate and talk ("I've got the end", "I have the robber", etc...). If you played a the  pickup game of football and the opposing team was doing what the Ravens did, what would you do? Nothing...because a coach didn't help you practice against it earlier in the week? Or would you sit down with the unit and go over it? Seriously, the lack of ability to adapt and communicate on the field has me VERY worried about our OL

14 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Turtle - that's an excuse. Players play the game. Each one of those guys has seen that before in their HS, college and professional careers. You don't need the coach to go over every permutation of defensive scheme to coordinate and talk ("I've got the end", "I have the robber", etc...). If you played a the  pickup game of football and the opposing team was doing what the Ravens did, what would you do? Nothing...because a coach didn't help you practice against it earlier in the week? Or would you sit down with the unit and go over it? Seriously, the lack of ability to adapt and communicate on the field has me VERY worried about our OL

Seems like a center issue 

OMG if you guys haven't listened to the Cooley film break down of our running game, go to the ESPN980 audio vault and listen! It's funny, sad and frustrating all in one!

The highlight in hilariousness is a play they called which Gibbs used to run called the "Hog Trey." The TE blocks the guy infront of him, probably OLB or DE, the OG pulls through the hole and then a 3rd blocker, the HB/FB follows. 

So, the TE blocking is Carrier and he does a decent job on his block, but here comes the hilarious part. Lauvao is pulling and he runs right into the butt of Carrier then, Paul is the HB and he comes through the hole and runs into the butt of Lauvao. So essentially they have 3 guys that block one and two of them really don't block anyone as the just run into one another. 

Its really inexplicable that this happens to two guys who are experienced in this scheme. Lauvao is usually a good pulling guard and Paul is a good blocker on the move - most times - although he's not s good inline blocker because of his size.

Other plays, Spencer Long calls out or doesn't identify the mike LB correctly constantly and the rest of the OL is confused. On and on, Scherff got beat several times by Mike Daniels, as did Lauvao & Long. We all saw the play where Moses was pulling and he got pancaked by the Packers ILB. There were also plays where Moses had no one to block and just stood there instead of getting up to the next level and hitting someone. 

Also Vernon Davis continues to underwhelm as a blocker. On one play he had to block a corner and instead of going and getting him, he just waited for the corner to come to him. 

Then, Kelley missed some things but as Woz keeps saying - and of course he's right per usual - Kelley gets pressure so much in the backfield because 2 to 4 blockers miss their assignments infront of him that he really can't go anywhere. 

Cooley felt that Kelley should have had gotten the first downs on some of the short yardage plays and he'd like us to have a back that can actually make someone miss if a player in unblocked. Morris struggled with this in the past, Jokes couldn't do it and Kelley does it some but isn't great at it.

By the way, he loved Perine because of the way he ran and the fact that he did make some players miss. If it were me, I'd once again start Thompson and mix in some Perine as a change of pace on run downs. Thompson can handle 5 to 10 carries a game, most of the receiving and knows all the protections as a blocker. I think he's the way to go. Let Thompson play 50% of the snaps, maybe more, get his 10 carries and 5-10 receptions a game. Have Perine come in and get his 5-10 carries a game to give Thompson a rest. If Perine gets in a groove, keep him in there more except on third & long because that's CT time!

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

OMG if you guys haven't listened to the Cooley film break down of our running game, go to the ESPN980 audio vault and listen! It's funny, sad and frustrating all in one!

The highlight in hilariousness is a play they called which Gibbs used to run called the "Hog Trey." The TE blocks the guy infront of him, probably OLB or DE, the OG pulls through the hole and then a 3rd blocker, the HB/FB follows. 

So, the TE blocking is Carrier and he does a decent job on his block, but here comes the hilarious part. Lauvao is pulling and he runs right into the butt of Carrier then, Paul is the HB and he comes through the hole and runs into the butt of Lauvao. So essentially they have 3 guys that block one and two of them really don't block anyone as the just run into one another. 

Its really inexplicable that this happens to two guys who are experienced in this scheme. Lauvao is usually a good pulling guard and Paul is a good blocker on the move - most times - although he's not s good inline blocker because of his size.

Other plays, Spencer Long calls out or doesn't identify the mike LB correctly constantly and the rest of the OL is confused. On and on, Scherff got beat several times by Mike Daniels, as did Lauvao & Long. We all saw the play where Moses was pulling and he got pancaked by the Packers ILB. There were also plays where Moses had no one to block and just stood there instead of getting up to the next level and hitting someone. 

Also Vernon Davis continues to underwhelm as a blocker. On one play he had to block a corner and instead of going and getting him, he just waited for the corner to come to him. 

Then, Kelley missed some things but as Woz keeps saying - and of course he's right per usual - Kelley gets pressure so much in the backfield because 2 to 4 blockers miss their assignments infront of him that he really can't go anywhere. 

Cooley felt that Kelley should have had gotten the first downs on some of the short yardage plays and he'd like us to have a back that can actually make someone miss if a player in unblocked. Morris struggled with this in the past, Jokes couldn't do it and Kelley does it some but isn't great at it.

By the way, he loved Perine because of the way he ran and the fact that he did make some players miss. If it were me, I'd once again start Thompson and mix in some Perine as a change of pace on run downs. Thompson can handle 5 to 10 carries a game, most of the receiving and knows all the protections as a blocker. I think he's the way to go. Let Thompson play 50% of the snaps, maybe more, get his 10 carries and 5-10 receptions a game. Have Perine come in and get his 5-10 carries a game to give Thompson a rest. If Perine gets in a groove, keep him in there more except on third & long because that's CT time!

BLL33.gif

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Any thoughts on how Rouiller did? Early on, the line looked lost, but they picked it up in the 2Q.

I thought the OL run blocked better than they did when Long was the C. Roullier and Lauvao cleared the lane for Kelley on the TD.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I thought the OL run blocked better than they did when Long was the C. Roullier and Lauvao cleared the lane for Kelley on the TD.

In the second quarter maybe ... early on, though

giphy.gif

Bengals gave up over 200 yards rushing last game. How much did we get? Our guys aren't ready to play and that falls right on our head coach who hadn't learned that playing patty cake in practice doesn't prepare your OL for games 

b Mitch is sounding like a broken record saying the team isn't coached up to play 

12 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Bengals gave up over 200 yards rushing last game. How much did we get? Our guys aren't ready to play and that falls right on our head coach who hadn't learned that playing patty cake in practice doesn't prepare your OL for games 

b Mitch is sounding like a broken record saying the team isn't coached up to play 

Good point. We only had 96 yards & 1 TD. We only had a total of 255 yards on offense. 

Archived