The Blues mock offseason.

SimbaWho

16 hours ago, MortexLion said:

As I see it if you don't have a pass rush your pretty much a stand still defense up front and your putting all the pressure on a one on one match up. which no one and not everyone can be Slay or Revis....so make there jobs a lot easier and rush the crap out of them every other play and have a rotation at DL...the bears are doing it and with success and there DL is making Kyle Fuller look like a big name cb. 

How many more sacks is good for you just curious 

23 hours ago, MortexLion said:

I like the Post just have a couple questions seeing i havent looked or watched these guys yet...what do you see in cuting Matt Prater? kinda felt that he fell off this year but not as much as Quin did. What do you see in Dwayne Haskins...future starter or just a good backup?

I like him as a starter in this league. Just, truth of the matter is he's only been a starter in college for what? 13 games? I think he'll benefit well anywhere he goes if he gets a year or half year's time to adjust to the NFL. The coaching, study habbits, idk, all that takes getting used to imo for a 1 year player out of college. He'd be better off imo coming in at the end of the year with low expectations or the following season with Stafford gone and not looming over him. 

Like this year, had there been any young QB we drafted anywhere last year he'd prolly be playing these last meaningless games but we didn't and Stafford wants what he wants and there's no organizational upside making him upset right now so... he plays for nothing while kind of injured. 

If Stafford bounces back next year and wins a ton of games as the starter for this team, then idk, what a great position we'd be in. Two possible starters? Idk what the solution is even but the out come of it has a high probability of being very good. Unless we give one away for peanuts and draft no one with talent. 

Prater is a money cut. A veteran presence from the last regime. I expect a whole lot of veterans to be gone this offseason. It's also possible he stay's. I don't think I"m personally upset either way I just think this staff is going to move on from a lot of veteran voices this offseason. 

7 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

How many more sacks is good for you just curious 

It's the percentage of plays the opposing QB is pressured when they drop back to throw that actually matters. Not necessarily the sack number. It was like when Suh was a Lion and how he alone made everyone else better by the attention he drew up, but didn't exactly post stats that dropped eyes. 

If Lions have a top-notch pass rush that might not be reflected in overall sacks because teams will scheme around the rush by running more often, Quicker passes, not forcing as many deep routes in the play calling, etc. An in the Bears case, its one player specifically that made these changes throughout the defense(Mack) and he's been hurt. Hicks/Smith/Flyod are nice pass rusher too but there play is magnified when Macks on the field too. Alone they're just a slightly above average group imo. Mack with the other three are a real challenge across the league for a offensive line to handle for, four, quarters. I think Matty Patty will try this attempt, obviously not with top talent like Mack but with manageable contracts and the best talent he can get for the price. Like the Patriots try and do. 

Imo, the way I schemed it is TE's/slot WR's might have career days vs the Lions... If they can keep it close past half time. I don't want time for deep plays to develop and I want to smoother the other teams run game. 

On 12/24/2018 at 7:52 PM, Rockcity2 said:

Didn't sacksonville bring in like 3 starting dbs in one year. Bc they couldn't do it your way?

All I'm asking for is at least someone better than Lawson...saftey

I just think you can be more versatile with better dbs not so much the other way around strictly pr

Those same DB's are still on that team. They did even more bringing in DJ Hayden and drafting Ronnie Harrison but it didn't make much difference.

Also man, the Jaguars are tough because the offense literally puts them in tough spots all the time. Game in and out. Eventually NFL coaches/teams will expose you if you're out there always put into a situation. 

I'm also not contending your point. Adding tons of good DB's has worked in the past. I just haven't seen it work really well since idk, Seattle I guess. 

19 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

It's the percentage of plays the opposing QB is pressured when they drop back to throw that actually matters. Not necessarily the sack number. It was like when Suh was a Lion and how he alone made everyone else better by the attention he drew up, but didn't exactly post stats that dropped eyes. 

If Lions have a top-notch pass rush that might not be reflected in overall sacks because teams will scheme around the rush by running more often, Quicker passes, not forcing as many deep routes in the play calling, etc. An in the Bears case, its one player specifically that made these changes throughout the defense(Mack) and he's been hurt. Hicks/Smith/Flyod are nice pass rusher too but there play is magnified when Macks on the field too. Alone they're just a slightly above average group imo. Mack with the other three are a real challenge across the league for a offensive line to handle for, four, quarters. I think Matty Patty will try this attempt, obviously not with top talent like Mack but with manageable contracts and the best talent he can get for the price. Like the Patriots try and do. 

Imo, the way I schemed it is TE's/slot WR's might have career days vs the Lions... If they can keep it close past half time. I don't want time for deep plays to develop and I want to smoother the other teams run game. 

So your cool with just more pressure.. The pressure is going to somehow gonna make our cbs play better and stay injury free... wouldn't every team be doing this if that were the case

19 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Those same DB's are still on that team. They did even more bringing in DJ Hayden and drafting Ronnie Harrison but it didn't make much difference.

Also man, the Jaguars are tough because the offense literally puts them in tough spots all the time. Game in and out. Eventually NFL coaches/teams will expose you if you're out there always put into a situation. 

I'm also not contending your point. Adding tons of good DB's has worked in the past. I just haven't seen it work really well since idk, Seattle I guess. 

That second paragraph sounds like the lions...

I'm not asking for a ton I am asking for 2 this os. 

1 hour ago, Rockcity2 said:

So your cool with just more pressure.. The pressure is going to somehow gonna make our cbs play better and stay injury free... wouldn't every team be doing this if that were the case

Essentially yeah man. You got it. I'm ok with more pressure and believe the pressure will cause Qb's to throw faster, less accurate, etc. making the DB's "seem" better cause they don't actually have to cover anyone for a very long time and might be able to jump short routes if they watch enough film, pick up tendency's etc. 

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

Essentially yeah man. You got it. I'm ok with more pressure and believe the pressure will cause Qb's to throw faster, less accurate, etc. making the DB's "seem" better cause they don't actually have to cover anyone for a very long time and might be able to jump short routes if they watch enough film, pick up tendency's etc. 

;)

16 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

That's pretty fundamental defensive stuff there man. 

Vague..

It's like saying hey he almost caught the ball.. so give him half a point?.!..

Every play has pressure.. are there different levels of pressures....

More pressure isn't gonna stop many of these qbs for shredding this secondary as it sits 

3 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

Vague..

More pressure isn't gonna stop many of these qbs for shredding this secondary as it sits 

In the NFL, quarterbacks also deal with another kind of pressure – mainly, a 270-pound defender breathing down your neck as you’re attempting to hit an open receiver. It’s no surprise then that quarterback efficiency dramatically declines when pressured by an opposing defender. Over the past decade, the average passer rating when a quarterback is pressured is 73.3, while on average, the passer rating from a clean pocket is 98.5. For perspective, last season, Trevor Siemian‘s 73.3 passer rating ranked 31st (of 35 qualifying quarterbacks) in passer rating, while Case Keenum ranked eighth (98.3).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/fantasy-football-metrics-that-matter-passing-differences-when-pressured

When looking at interception rates we see a very similar trend; there were 219 interceptions thrown by these 37 quarterbacks on 12,100 pass attempts from a clean pocket, a rate of 1.8 percent. When pressure was applied that rate shot up to 3.1 percent as they combined to throw 153 interceptions on 4,942 attempts.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-importance-of-pressure-its-not-all-about-sacks

This should be a pretty simple concept for a football fan to intake. When a QB has all day to throw, defenses have to cover longer, and there are more opportunities for routes to develop or people to get open. No defensive player can cover a target forever. When a QB is under pressure, even if someone is open the QB's mechanics are off, so the ball isn't as accurate, or they can't step into the throw, so there isn't as much zip on the ball, guys don't have to cover as long, routes don't develop, etc. That gives the defense the advantage. 

On 12/29/2018 at 8:36 AM, Rockcity2 said:

Vague..

FWIW, we had A LOT of coverage sacks this year.

On 12/31/2018 at 5:26 PM, detroitroar said:

Why cut Lang, Wagner and Prater?

TE should be a very high priority......perhaps the highest on offense.

Drafting a QB that high....I find it to be near impossible, and would be a waste. 

Id like Koetter then Gase as OC. 

Was Mahomes a waste?

Archived