The Blues mock offseason.

SimbaWho

On 1/2/2019 at 12:52 PM, IDOG_det said:

You aren't going to find a Patrick Mahomes in this class, so bringing him up is irrelevant

I don't think it is. Mitchell Trubisky was also taken in the first and sat a year. While building a successful team around him.

Seattle did the something with Russell Wilson, though not in the first(on accident). Houston did it was Deshaun Watson. Bills sort of did it with a QB making less money and less of a ceiling than Stafford but essentially traded away a starting QB for assets and drafting a young QB in Allen.

How many QB's in the first round since 2014 do you consider really a waste? Paxton Lynch is the only one that comes to my mind. 

Last time I mentioned trading Stafford and rebuilding in 2015 before he signed bukko bucks people said it was easier to build an Oline vs QB. An now four years later three drafts in-between... We're in the same spot missing out on Goff/Wentz/Trubisky/Watson/Mahomes and... Paxton Lynch. All's Lions had to do was draft one of those 5 and avoid Paxton Lynch as your QB and we might be in a better spot with the picks we could of also gotten moving Stafford. 

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=569286&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

My old SN was JruGGes. Page four is where I start the rant and people with no vision started to come at me like they knew Stafford would become better... They just knew it for sure. 

* The only person that even got a slight picture of what I was painting was Slim. Props to him for vision. 

19 hours ago, detroitroar said:

.....I would love an explanation for this question 

I explained my stance to IDOG and I'm assuming your wondering the same. Do I think anyone will be as great as Mahomes. Nah, not likely, do I think we can get a good starter. Yeah I do but unfortunately it's really looking like we'd have to move up for Haskins vs staying put which I'm not for. I don't wanna give up assets for Haskins. I'm trying to bring him in, shelter him for sometime, build the team up for a offseason or two, then let him start the following year or even mid season after we move on from Stafford if he fails.

If Stafford did really well... Then idk we'd cross that bridge then. It's a good problem to have two good QB's. 

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Jrugges wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Suhper Dooper wrote:
Jrugges wrote:
Top 5: 

Jared Goff, QB Cal. 
Joey Bosa, DE. Ohio State. 
Ronnie Stanley, OT. Notre Dame.

No.. just no.. we need to stop thinking let's just replace Stafford and that will fix the problems. Until we address the foundation of this team, I do not want to see another high pick QB. It is a waste of talent, and we will waste that QB here. Get a franchise LT and RT, and make sure Warford, Tomlinson and Swanson are the real deal. Once the line is fixed, then talk QB. Either that, or it is just another waste of a 1st round pick.

Strongly agree. Draft an elite LT prospect, move Reiff to RT and repair the defense. Starting over at QB is a complete waste of time, especially when we really have no clue how good Stafford can be.

So what has the last 6 years of Staffords career been? Constructive development?

Two playoff appearances despite a (largely) flawed team?

Oh so you think Stafford lead us to a playoff birth over a number 2 defense keeping us in games? Can't understand that perspective really when he played so poorly. 

2011 seems to be the anomaly vs the norm with Stafford and his career. Everyone including me wants this player to come back but he's gone I think. Long, long gone.

Yeah, IDK this is me arguing with one of my favorite antagonist ever on this site. 

He wasn't the only one feeling this way either. Just one of my favorite to engage. 

One thing most couldn't grasp was the assets we could of gotten with the addition of the rookie QB. They all kept comparing QB to QB like it was apples to apples when really it'd of been the Rookie QB plus anything you got from the Stafford trade which should of resulted in multiple picks or players. Slim was basically the only poster that could see that light, or rationalize the thought process. 

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

I explained my stance to IDOG and I'm assuming your wondering the same. Do I think anyone will be as great as Mahomes. Nah, not likely, do I think we can get a good starter. Yeah I do but unfortunately it's really looking like we'd have to move up for Haskins vs staying put which I'm not for. I don't wanna give up assets for Haskins. I'm trying to bring him in, shelter him for sometime, build the team up for a offseason or two, then let him start the following year or even mid season after we move on from Stafford if he fails.

If Stafford did really well... Then idk we'd cross that bridge then. It's a good problem to have two good QB's. 

What your not accounting for is where Mahomes ended up.....that matters.

@SimbaWho I'm just saying, in this draft I think you're looking at a lot of Paxton Lynch types. Haskins is legit, but he's going to be out of reach for the Lions. I really like Kyler Murray, but he may not even play football (I think he should, but we'll see what happens). Drew Lock isn't good. Daniel Jones seems like a backup, not a guy who could unseat Stafford. I like Jordan Ta'amu, Easton Stick, and Brett Rypien as developmental backups, but even then it's unlikely they surpass someone like Stafford.

20 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

@SimbaWho I'm just saying, in this draft I think you're looking at a lot of Paxton Lynch types. Haskins is legit, but he's going to be out of reach for the Lions. I really like Kyler Murray, but he may not even play football (I think he should, but we'll see what happens). Drew Lock isn't good. Daniel Jones seems like a backup, not a guy who could unseat Stafford. I like Jordan Ta'amu, Easton Stick, and Brett Rypien as developmental backups, but even then it's unlikely they surpass someone like Stafford.

Fair assessment. 

Yeah I agree. Haskins was my guy, Murray won't play cause of baseball, and everyone else is back up material. I had my eyebrow raised for awhile on Ryan Finley but, idk, he's not done a ton to really wow me. Just consistent numbers. He looked bad though vs good teams and feasted on lower quality opponents so idk what to make of him right now. 

What do you think about Finely? Just noticed you didn't even mention him. 

6 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Fair assessment. 

Yeah I agree. Haskins was my guy, Murray won't play cause of baseball, and everyone else is back up material. I had my eyebrow raised for awhile on Ryan Finley but, idk, he's not done a ton to really wow me. Just consistent numbers. He looked bad though vs good teams and feasted on lower quality opponents so idk what to make of him right now. 

What do you think about Finely? Just noticed you didn't even mention him. 

The best quarterback (at least in the recent era) that was 24 years old or older when drafted is David Garrard. So, until that ceiling is raised, guys like Finley and Grier aren't even worth evaluating for starter positions. They would have to be pretty significant outliers. If they are franchise-level quarterbacks they likely would've shown it when they were playing people their own age, not when they are multiple years older than most other players on the field.

Archived