Nearly ideal mock on fanspeak

Magnus-Viktor

Khalil Hodge Buffalo - early 3rd

Vosean Joseph Florida - early 3rd

Pratt is one of my favorites.  I will still push for Sutton Smith.

For OLB, I think Jachai Polite will be a beast.  Outside of Bosa and Josh Allen, he is the best pure pass rusher.

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Khalil Hodge Buffalo - early 3rd

Vosean Joseph Florida - early 3rd

Pratt is one of my favorites.  I will still push for Sutton Smith.

For OLB, I think Jachai Polite will be a beast.  Outside of Bosa and Josh Allen, he is the best pure pass rusher.

We'll end up taking Hodge in the 1st.  Don't worry.  #ColbertWay

Yea, I like J.Polite too. He and M.Sweat are 1st round possibilities if we don't go corner.
These mock simulators (while very fun) aren't realistic with J.Allen or D.White falling.
Byron Murphy could be very interesting at CB or D.Thompson at FS, although I can't see us going FS this year.
He's a great player though.

12 hours ago, jebrick said:

I am obsessed with taking Sutton smith as an ILB for the Steelers so most of my mocks have them taking him in the 2nd.

I don't know that he has a position.  I just watched this, and he looked like trash for most of the game, until the play at 6:40 or so.  What I disliked the most is on the option he went full speed ahead for the wrong guy multiple times like Dupree would.  I recognize you're projecting a switch to a 34 ILB instead of a 43 DE, but can he move in coverage and would he have the discipline to play his gaps right and everything required from the ILB position?  In watching the Steelers/Bengals game just now I was reminded of why I wanted Hubbard last year.  He would've been a great, smart, replacement for Dupree next year opposite Watt.  3rd rounder.  Same thing with Jessie Bates in 2.  But hey, had to get that 13, 153 and 1 from James Washington and crappy safety play out of a 4th round talent safety they took in 1 instead.  

The guy I want is #11 for Clemson.  6'2" 230 converted safety that runs a 4.3.  A redshirt sophomore.  If he comes out......I'm all over that!  Isaiah Simmons.  He's eligible, but I'm sure he isn't coming out unless he blows up the national championship game.  

I want Clemon's QB in the future as well!  I'm really digging their team.  Trayvon Mullen would work as well.  

I worry that they will reach for a CB.  After Greedy Williams and perhaps Byron Murphy the next best on ( to me ) is DeAndre Baker.  Because he is 5'10 they could trade down and still get him.

If Polite is there at 20 they should sprint to the podium to take him.

For Dupree and Smith, you do not know what they were told to do.  No one complained in the Carolina game when Watt did the exact same thing that Dupree did on the option ( which was go for the QB).  The difference was the Dlineman covering the gap vs not.  Point is you do not know what they were coached to do but both Watt and Dupree did the same thing.

I like Smith because he has a non stop motor.  what I do not know is how is is lateral move and how well can he diagnose a play.

9 minutes ago, jebrick said:

For Dupree and Smith, you do not know what they were told to do.  No one complained in the Carolina game when Watt did the exact same thing that Dupree did on the option ( which was go for the QB).  The difference was the Dlineman covering the gap vs not.  Point is you do not know what they were coached to do but both Watt and Dupree did the same thing.

I like Smith because he has a non stop motor.  what I do not know is how is is lateral move and how well can he diagnose a play.

That's kinda what I was getting at.  I know we don't know his assignment.  But it looks bad regardless.  But as you said, does he move well laterally?  Does he cover?  Can he diagnose?  I have no idea.  But I do know that he gets engulfed by OL far too often, and that'll be worse in the NFL.  I liked some things I saw, but he's not a 2nd rounder for me.  More of a 4th rounder.  5th.  I'm thinking he'd fit better as a pass rushing 43 OLB, like the Vikings use Anthony Barr.  I can't help but look back at last year's draft and wonder what-if?

Now obviously we never had a chance at drafting Leighton Vander Esch, who was my #1 target last year, but I would've gladly traded both that safety and wide receiver they drafted in 1-2 for just Vander Esch.  Hubbard was my #2 guy in the entire draft, and he went in 3.

This was my actual draft:

1.  Leighton Vander Esch ILB (gone at #19) - 140 tackles, 7 PDef, 2 INTs - perfect ILB prospect, so pissed the Cowboys got him
2.  Sam Hubbard OLB (could've had him in 2) - 6 sacks, 2 Pdef, 1 FF, 35 tackles, as a backup (Dupree had 5.5 sacks, 3 Pdef, 1 int, 1 FF, 39 tackles as a starter)
3.  Jessie Bates III S (would've had to take him in 1, or trade up in 2) - 108 tackles, 5 Pdef, 3 INTs & 1 TD - Edmunds got 73, 4 Pdef, 1 INT same age
5.  Dylan Cantrell WR 
5.  Justin Watson WR
7.  Zach Sieler, DE - looked good when I saw him play, and he was actually playing as a rookie 7th rounder
7.  Natrell Jamerson, FS 

UDFA:  Phillip Lindsay, RB (loved him in college) 1037 yards, 5.4 average, 9 TDs, 35 catches for 241 yards, 1 TD.  Stud.  ZERO fumbles
UDFA:  Greg Stroman, CB/KR - played 14 games, 2 starts, 33 tackles, 4 Pdef, 1 INT, 1 FF
UDFA:  Chris Warren III, RB 
UDFA:  Tarvarius Moore, FS - 15 games, 1 start, 21 tackles, 2 PDef, 1 FF

Instead, we get crap out of Edmunds.  Next to nothing out of Washington.  Nothing out of Rudolph.  About the only rookie that gave solid contributions this year was the 5th round RB, who wasn't nearly as good as Lindsay.  So we could've given up the 1 and 2 to move up and get Vander Esch, still gotten Hubbard in 3.  I said prior to the draft that I'd trade up to get Vander Esch as well.  Given who was actually available at picks, and with the trade up for Vander Esch that I absolutely would've done at the time, this is what the Steelers could've had:  

*Trade up*

1.  Vander Esch, ILB - the defense would've been light years better with him back there

3.  Hubbard, OLB - would've helped this year when guys were hurt, and been a better rotational guy than Chickillo, plus free to dump Dupree now

5.  Jamerson, FS (without taking a S earlier, would've taken him here) - he didn't do a whole lot, but I would've taken him for help at S earlier

5.  Watson, WR - didn't do a whole lot either, but I love his potential to be a Jordy Nelson type WR

7.  Lindsay, RB - would be a great compliment to Connor

Ran a 1st pick.com simulation. Came out like this:

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 25 (OAK): Murphy, Byron, CB, Washington (A-)
Round 2 Pick 19: Jennings, Anfernee, OLB, Alabama (B+)
Round 3 Pick 4 (OAK): Anderson, Rodney, RB, Oklahoma (A)
Round 3 Pick 24 (DAL): Hodge, Kalhil, ILB, Buffalo (A+)
Round 4 Pick 4 (OAK): Ximines, Oshane, DE, Old Dominion (A+)
Round 4 Pick 19: Ridley, Riley, WR, Georgia (A+)
Round 4 Pick 25 (DAL): Christmas, Demarcus, DT, Florida State (A+)
Round 6 Pick 4: Blankenship, Rodrigo, K, Georgia (A+)
Round 6 Pick 18: Bars, Alex, OG, Notre Dame (A+)
Round 7 Pick 6: Crum, Micky, TE, Louisville (A+)

Moved down for Murphy, picking up a few picks.  Anfernee Jennings isn't a great pass rusher but is a great edge setter.  Rodney Anderson is a good guy, more a switch-blade at RB.  I think it allows Samuels to be more a flex player than running back.  Kalhil Hodge in the 3rd as a Shazier replacement.  Oshane Ximines is someone I got to see play this year...and holy %&*@.  That dude can flat out rush the passer.  He'll be a liability at times in the run, but 6'4", 247 pounds with light posts for arms and bear paws for hands.  Riley Ridley is a guy that can be an inside and outside as a pass catcher.  Demarcus Christmas is a guy like Hargraves, a guy that isn't a traditional NT but can really get at the QB.  Rodrigo Blankenship....because I couldn't afford not to.  Bars and Crum are guys to come in and challenge as redshirt seniors.

14 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

That's kinda what I was getting at.  I know we don't know his assignment.  But it looks bad regardless.  But as you said, does he move well laterally?  Does he cover?  Can he diagnose?  I have no idea.  But I do know that he gets engulfed by OL far too often, and that'll be worse in the NFL.  I liked some things I saw, but he's not a 2nd rounder for me.  More of a 4th rounder.  5th.  I'm thinking he'd fit better as a pass rushing 43 OLB, like the Vikings use Anthony Barr.  I can't help but look back at last year's draft and wonder what-if?

Now obviously we never had a chance at drafting Leighton Vander Esch, who was my #1 target last year, but I would've gladly traded both that safety and wide receiver they drafted in 1-2 for just Vander Esch.  Hubbard was my #2 guy in the entire draft, and he went in 3.

This was my actual draft:

1.  Leighton Vander Esch ILB (gone at #19) - 140 tackles, 7 PDef, 2 INTs - perfect ILB prospect, so pissed the Cowboys got him
2.  Sam Hubbard OLB (could've had him in 2) - 6 sacks, 2 Pdef, 1 FF, 35 tackles, as a backup (Dupree had 5.5 sacks, 3 Pdef, 1 int, 1 FF, 39 tackles as a starter)
3.  Jessie Bates III S (would've had to take him in 1, or trade up in 2) - 108 tackles, 5 Pdef, 3 INTs & 1 TD - Edmunds got 73, 4 Pdef, 1 INT same age
5.  Dylan Cantrell WR 
5.  Justin Watson WR
7.  Zach Sieler, DE - looked good when I saw him play, and he was actually playing as a rookie 7th rounder
7.  Natrell Jamerson, FS 

UDFA:  Phillip Lindsay, RB (loved him in college) 1037 yards, 5.4 average, 9 TDs, 35 catches for 241 yards, 1 TD.  Stud.  ZERO fumbles
UDFA:  Greg Stroman, CB/KR - played 14 games, 2 starts, 33 tackles, 4 Pdef, 1 INT, 1 FF
UDFA:  Chris Warren III, RB 
UDFA:  Tarvarius Moore, FS - 15 games, 1 start, 21 tackles, 2 PDef, 1 FF

Instead, we get crap out of Edmunds.  Next to nothing out of Washington.  Nothing out of Rudolph.  About the only rookie that gave solid contributions this year was the 5th round RB, who wasn't nearly as good as Lindsay.  So we could've given up the 1 and 2 to move up and get Vander Esch, still gotten Hubbard in 3.  I said prior to the draft that I'd trade up to get Vander Esch as well.  Given who was actually available at picks, and with the trade up for Vander Esch that I absolutely would've done at the time, this is what the Steelers could've had:  

*Trade up*

1.  Vander Esch, ILB - the defense would've been light years better with him back there

3.  Hubbard, OLB - would've helped this year when guys were hurt, and been a better rotational guy than Chickillo, plus free to dump Dupree now

5.  Jamerson, FS (without taking a S earlier, would've taken him here) - he didn't do a whole lot, but I would've taken him for help at S earlier

5.  Watson, WR - didn't do a whole lot either, but I love his potential to be a Jordy Nelson type WR

7.  Lindsay, RB - would be a great compliment to Connor

Damn now you got me looking back at some things:

Here's our consensus draft:

Rashaan Evans

Jessie Bates

Shaquem Griffin

Kalen Ballad

Poona Ford

Marquez Valdes-Scantling

The most I personally did was a 3 round:

Rashaan Evans

Duke Ejiofor

Marcus Allen

Christian Kirk

50 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Damn now you got me looking back at some things:

Here's our consensus draft:

Rashaan Evans

Jessie Bates

Shaquem Griffin

Kalen Ballad

Poona Ford

Marquez Valdes-Scantling

The most I personally did was a 3 round:

Rashaan Evans

Duke Ejiofor

Marcus Allen

Christian Kirk

Rashaan Evans was like Vander Esch.  Gone before we got the chance.  I was hoping that Vander Esch would slide a bit, and he did to 19 (which was a lot later than he should've went) but not nearly far enough.  That's the problem with picking late.  Then again, they took a 4th round talent at 28, so it made no different this year anyway.  I sure hope that guy turns into something, instead of just an athlete as he is now.  I watched OK State with Rudolph and Washington a fair amount too.  I liked the Rudolph pick, but wasn't a fan of Washington.  He just isn't my cup of tea, and we had a hell of a lot bigger needs than a WR in 2.  There were a lot better players available too.  Like my boy Hubbard.  6 sacks vs 153 yards receiving (or whatever he had on the season).  Which would've helped us more this year?  We all know Washington got his chances, he just didn't produce much at all.  I guess he's up to 217 now after his one catch today.  woopteedoo.  

I hate to say it, but I knew this year would be a wasted year immediately after last year's draft.  Absolutely nothing to help win now, and fix all the glaring holes the team had last year after Shazier got hurt.  The entire middle of the defense was just wide open over and over, immediately after he got hurt.  That injury ended last season, where the O and D were both top 10, if not top 5, prior to his injury.  Nothing changed in the offseason, so I expected this year to be more of the same.  It was, except the O wasn't as good since 15-20% of our cap space was wasted on a scumbag who sat out all year, and Ben seems to have regressed some (and Brown too).  

My 2018 redraft (barring trades):

1.  Darius Leonard ILB - he was a guy I considered some, but he wasn't at the top of my wish list and not firmly on my radar back then

2.  Lorenzo Carter LB - I liked him a lot coming out, in 3 he was a steal for the Giants. Maybe could play ILB as well?

3.  Sam Hubbard OLB - my #2 guy in the draft, and a major steal in 3.  He's TJ Watt 2.0 if he is on the Steelers and dropped 15 lbs to play LB.

3.  Troy Apke FS - 4.3 speed out of a 6'1" safety would help tremendously. he has a great closing burst.

5.  Jaylen Samuels, RB - He looked pretty solid later in the year

5.  Equanimeous St. Brown, WR - I liked him at Notre Dame & he produced more than Washington did this year. Way better prospect

7.  Phillip Lindsay, RB - my favorite RB in the draft, except for the freak Saquon of course (who is by far the best RB prospect I've ever seen, if we're talking a workhorse type and not a RB/WR type like McCaffrey - they're tied if you talk about both types).  

Just now, Magnus-Viktor said:

My 2018 redraft (barring trades):

1.  Darius Leonard ILB - he was a guy I considered some, but he wasn't at the top of my wish list and not firmly on my radar back then

2.  Lorenzo Carter LB - I liked him a lot coming out, in 3 he was a steal for the Giants. Maybe could play ILB as well?

3.  Sam Hubbard OLB - my #2 guy in the draft, and a major steal in 3.  He's TJ Watt 2.0 if he is on the Steelers and dropped 15 lbs to play LB.

3.  Troy Apke FS - 4.3 speed out of a 6'1" safety would help tremendously. he has a great closing burst.

5.  Jaylen Samuels, RB - He looked pretty solid later in the year

5.  Equanimeous St. Brown, WR - I liked him at Notre Dame & he produced more than Washington did this year. Way better prospect

7.  Phillip Lindsay, RB - my favorite RB in the draft, except for the freak Saquon of course (who is by far the best RB prospect I've ever seen, if we're talking a workhorse type and not a RB/WR type like McCaffrey - they're tied if you talk about both types).  

oooh interesting practice.  I'm assuming all players much be picked between our picks.

1-28: Mike Hughes CB UCF  He tore his ACL but damn he was playing really good before that.

2-28: Justin Reid S Stanford. Texans used him as a CB/S and it took about half the season but he really stabilized the secondary at times with his versatility.

3-10: Mark Andrews TE Oklahoma.  He was a guy I liked leading up to the draft, and the Ravens got their long term TE answer with him.

3-27: Antonio Callaway WR Florida.  I did mock him to us a few times calling him AB2.0

5-10: Ogbonnia Okoronkwo LB Oklahoma.  Not a huge impact, but he gave the Rams quality snaps.

5-27: Jaylon Samuels Back NCState.  Sure.

7-28: Desmond Harrison OT West Georgia.  Has all the tools to be a long term starter at OT.

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

oooh interesting practice.  I'm assuming all players much be picked between our picks.

1-28: Mike Hughes CB UCF  He tore his ACL but damn he was playing really good before that.

2-28: Justin Reid S Stanford. Texans used him as a CB/S and it took about half the season but he really stabilized the secondary at times with his versatility.

3-10: Mark Andrews TE Oklahoma.  He was a guy I liked leading up to the draft, and the Ravens got their long term TE answer with him.

3-27: Antonio Callaway WR Florida.  I did mock him to us a few times calling him AB2.0

5-10: Ogbonnia Okoronkwo LB Oklahoma.  Not a huge impact, but he gave the Rams quality snaps.

5-27: Jaylon Samuels Back NCState.  Sure.

7-28: Desmond Harrison OT West Georgia.  Has all the tools to be a long term starter at OT.

I thought about taking Mike Hughes in 1, but he had character red flags prior to the draft, so even though he did look solid in limited playing time, I'd still not draft him due to that.  Plus it seems that in this draft, all the quality ILBs went before our pick, except Leonard, so I had to take him.  Reid was a solid player for Stanford.  Didn't watch him this year at all.  I took him off my draft board due to his brother, just like I took Nike off my options for shoes or anything else to buy (bought a couple pair of Adidas for the first time in my life this week.....lifelong Nike up till then, or at least the last 25+ years....when I was a kid I had a few things that weren't Nike, but no athletic shoes since then except Nike, until now).  

I see 2 of you put Antonio Callaway on there.  Didn't he have tons of character red flags too?  That's why I didn't ever consider him, if I remember correctly.  After the draft, I did hear bad things about Equanimeous St. Brown's character, but his was an attitude, not criminal behavior if I recall correctly.  I just checked, and yeah, Callaway is not a guy I'd ever draft.  Rape chargers, drugs, theft.  He hits the trifecta.....2 if you don't buy the rape allegation.  No thanks.

Archived