Nearly ideal mock on fanspeak

Magnus-Viktor

26 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I am one that has been a critic of tomlin, but in reality he won't get fired because that's rooney. Colbert, his kid and the drafting regime needs to be changed.   I agree the coaches have been a disappointment, but unless tomlin goes, they are here too. They can credit porter with how Watt is doing so good, but hope to forget that he was better than dupree from day 1 for some reason. 

If he is a legit starting CB that can cover, that's all good, but colbert always has other ideas than what we want.  Everyone talked about the loss of shazier and there was evans ready to be taken and colbert let evens go to the titans. Instead he drafts a player that many said was a RD3 pick 

very true!

1 hour ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I agree with those type of things being common, but SOMEONE has to fall, just as in real life on draft day.  Right now it's way too early in the process for those guys to be slotted even close to what they'll be in the end.  After the combine they should be much more accurate.

It would be interesting to know who these mocks simulated ahead of some of these guys. The one I go to is numerous GMs say that aside from HUGE shocks (Like Brice Irving and Terrell Edmunds and Tyson Alualu) they pretty much know the first round now. They pretty much know the second round barring trades. They all say about the third round is when the draft really starts. So to see a site rank some of these guys so low, when scouts confirm them as 1st rounders, I scratch my head. 

Like the one I go to right now (and I know he’s a bust so save that part); these sites had Artie as a 5th rounder, Conner as UDFA. Every scout said Artie was a high 2nd and Conner (if health checks out) was a mid 3rd. 

11 minutes ago, warfelg said:

And like I said MV - I’m not knocking you, it’s these sites and the way they draft/rank. FS adhears too much to team needs and let’s it overrun BPA and first-pick goes BPA over needs too often. 

Agreed.  Still fun to play with though.  

11 hours ago, warfelg said:

I’m gonna do a pair of mock drafts later but hot take alert: I have us taking Drew Lock in one of them. 

I've considered Drew Lock in a few of mine as well!  If he would've lasted 1 round longer, he'd have been wearing Black and Gold again.

If we take an ILB early, how do you guys thinking the position will play out? Do we cut Bostic? Vince? I’d assume Fort and Red are the easiest cuts. Maybe we cut Matakevich and play Williams a little more on ST?

I think EDGE and CB are the easiest positions to upgrade. We have no corners on the roster that are long term answers. And a team can never have too many pass rushers. I’d try to get a team friendly deal for Bud and if he doesn’t accept, give him his 5th year option and rotate him with the rookie. Maybe Ola or 43’s dude will show some improvement.

Just spitballing. I didn’t want to start a new thread.

7 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

If we take an ILB early, how do you guys thinking the position will play out? Do we cut Bostic? Vince? I’d assume Fort and Red are the easiest cuts. Maybe we cut Matakevich and play Williams a little more on ST?

As much as I love Red, I would cut him.

Ideally with this I would cut Red as he gives little more than his ST snaps.  Move VWill back to being a ST ace along with the top backup.  Fort is the ST guy with spot snaps.  Bostic and the Rookie as our top starting LBers.  Bostic is smarter than VWill, more solid against the run, a little better of a coverage guy.

One thing I hate is Tomlin and Butler just plugged VWill into doing the things that they had Shazier doing, and never adjusted the defense to address the deficiencies that VWill has. It goes to show with the two of them, there's a system and they don't have the right players to run it, rather than tailoring the defense what the players can do.

Did my own:

19: R1P19

QB DWAYNE HASKINS
OHIO STATE
51: R2P19

LB MACK WILSON
ALABAMA
82: R3P18

CB AMANI ORUWARIYE
PENN STATE
121: R4P19

TE ZACH GENTRY
MICHIGAN
179: R6P4

EDGE TERRELL LEWIS
ALABAMA
193: R6P18

OT TYLER ROEMER
SAN DIEGO STATE
224: R7P8

LB CAMERON SMITH
USC

May have jumped the gun on the OSU QB but he's better than Dobbs/Randolph.  LB heavy obviously.

Yea, ILB is thin. If Mack Wilson doesn't come out, after D.White you have...

D. Bush, Michigan (the kind of player we could look at) - perfect in round 2 for me
D.Allen, Texas Tech (also great is pass coverage) - might get him in 3,4
B.Okereke, Stanford (great athlete)
G.Pratt, NC State (he's a sleeper candidate for me - kind of D.White Lite)

There are of course others like T.Edwards, etc. but they're like what we have.

Agree CB or EDGE might be likely.
Speed/size profiles we normally look at include B.Murphy, T.Mullen and A.Oruwariye (less so D.Baker or J.Love).

I think OLB M.Sweat could be there and be a fit, at 20.

Archived