Steve Wilks will be fired at season's end

Elky

10 hours ago, mcmurtry86 said:

And the Patriots fired him after 3 very ineffective seasons

Some coaches need to grow and learn before they’re good. Carroll was a great DC who didn’t become a good coach until he went to USC.

All coaches need to grow and learn, some just do it better and quicker than others. Some also simply show signs of never having "it" granted they aren't always shown the door right away.

44 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Meh, you probably got me on that one.  Still, not like Wilks is being given as many chances as Hue was given in this situation 

Hue was just abnormally bad to the point where it couldn’t register in most people’s minds that a coach could be that bad.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Hue was just abnormally bad to the point where it couldn’t register in most people’s minds that a coach could be that bad.

He was so bad that he gave you Mayfield, the tank job has been completed, he should have been fired as soon as you guys were trying to win games.

I don’t get this. He needs at least 2 years, preferably 3 or 4 before he should get fired. They’ll have the 1st or 2nd pick on the draft and they can get a great defensive player with that pick.

Wilks inherited Bruce Arians players which, David Johnson wasn’t healthy to start the year and the most challenging thing he had to deal with was switching the 3-4 defense to a 4-3 defense. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t get this. He needs at least 2 years, preferably 3 or 4 before he should get fired. They’ll have the 1st or 2nd pick on the draft and they can get a great defensive player with that pick.

Wilks inherited Bruce Arians players which, David Johnson wasn’t healthy to start the year and the most challenging thing he had to deal with was switching the 3-4 defense to a 4-3 defense. 

But the question is did he do anything to give the franchise any indications they'd progress under him? The answer is no. He showed absolutely nothing.

A HC should never take the fall alone after year 1.   Either they should give him more time or he was the wrong call from the get go.  The latter isn’t usually apparent right away.   But if it’s a case where the HC is the wrong fit after year 1 then the GM who made that call needs to be held accountable too.  

With ARI they have a chance to get a HC who can overhaul the disaster that was the Mike McCoy O then it’s a no brainer.  Hiring McCoy is a fireable offense on its own.  

There aren’t many 1st year firings that make make sense but this seems like one of those rare cases.  In this case though GM Keim deserves to join Wilks on the chopping block. 

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

A HC should never take the fall alone after year 1.   Either they should give him more time or he was the wrong call from the get go. 

Ron Wolf dumped Ray Rhodes after one year at HC, it was the wrong call from the get go and Ron realized his mistake and sent Ray packing. In an article that talked about the firing, they noted that Ron Wolf was on the road all week scouting, then came back to GB on the weekends and witnessed the problems first hand

I had never given much thought to the idea that a scouting GM isn't around the team as much during the fall months...so he's a little bit removed from the daily team activities

21 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You'd have to figure that Cleveland is probably the preferred destination for Mac given that a good chunk of their FO consist of former Packers' FO personnel.  Plus, they've got the rookie QB who has shown the most so far.  Right now, they've got 4 picks in the first 96 selections where as the Jets have 3 and the Cardinals have 3 as well.  But I think it's the general talent level in Cleveland is more than Arizona.

Reported mutual interest between Cards and McCarthy.  Although I agree Cleveland is more attractive job.  

https://www.abc15.com/sports/report-mutual-interest-between-cardinals-mike-mccarthy-in-head-coaching-job

15 hours ago, DaCDiggity said:

All coaches need to grow and learn, some just do it better and quicker than others. Some also simply show signs of never having "it" granted they aren't always shown the door right away.

Jim Tomsula for us. Just looked completely overwhelmed. I think Chip Kelly got a raw deal though. 

This hiring always felt uninspired - almost like they drew a name out of a hat. 

There's a lot to fix in Arizona, but they have a top tier CB, a multi tool RB, an elite pass rusher, a QBOTF and the #1 pick - there's plenty to love as a potential HC/GM (I've got to think Keim is also responsible for a lot of this, he's the one who hired Wilks and "built" this roster) it's a rebuild... but it's also a spot with some upside.

If I'm the guy in charge, I'm also hoping Dwayne Haskins and/or Justin Herbert blows up during scouting season. If one of these guys looks the part in workouts, that #1 pick potentially turns into a future #1 next season along with multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Archived