Steelers vs. Saints GDT

MOSteelers56

10 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The issue is lack of talent and proper defensive scheming.

Aka the problem is Colbert, the scouting dept, and Butler.

Lack of talent limits and alters a DC's ability to scheme how they'd like.

The Rams have far more individual talent than we have on defense, and Id argue our defense as a whole is just as good, if not better.

Im not saying Butler doesnt deserve heat....he does, but I firmly believe that the biggest issue with our defense over the last several years is lack of talent, and to a lesser extent, lack of direction.   Im not sure the best DC in the league could do a whole lot more with our current defensive talent.    

To me, our failures are just as a team as a whole, both players and coaches, and whether it's fair or not, that largely falls on Tomlin.

25 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The issue is lack of talent and proper defensive scheming.

Aka the problem is Colbert, the scouting dept, and Butler.

colbert most of all, but I doubt anything happens.  It would take a few years in a row off missing the playoffs with a healthy roster before anything happens.

This seasons is defined by giving the ball away. The Steelers nixed themselves in the 4th quarter with stupid decisions and two bad fumbles. But at the same time, I just can't get over the fact that the Saints were gifted 14+ points in this one in the first quarter. I hate that I recognize ref crews and say to myself, "Oh, yea, we're getting screwed today."

The Saints should have left the first half with 3 points on the board. There's a whole lot I could criticize about the in-game decision making, but my focus is on that. Those were bogus calls that benefited NO. And it's just way too common at this point.

I agree that we had plenty of our own mistakes, but cant get over the gifted 14 pts in the 1st half. Im still having a hard time getting past the same in the charger game. In a season where these things tend to even themselves out with winning some and losing some, the ball has just not bounced our way at all this season. Honestly the only game where we were completely outplayed was the 1st ravens game. I cant believe how many games we have just given away this year.

2 hours ago, August4th said:

if they  knew how to close games, they would be the number 1 seed right now

If the knew how to coach and control the locker room the season would have been different. Way too many drives wasted and such a letdown overall. I'm no advocate for keeping butler, but Evans was taken 1 spot ahead of edmunds, colbert really failed there because we needed a LB more than a safety since they signed burnett. No hate on edmunds, it's about the need and the reach . That was one example, others have been brought up over the last few years. 

Todays loss ironically wasn't that much on the secondary or lack of pressure. The 4 man front with Heyward and Watt at Ends then Hargrave and Tuitt at DT really got some pressure.  This loss was a fail from tomlin more than anything. I don't want to read a single person here blame JuJu, it's a shame that the saint made a great play and the fumble occurred. Ridley though, needs to learn how to protect so there isn't such a fumble.

The refs were making some lame calls. This is why the league should have a penalty review crew to overturn some of these calls, just lousy to have these calls happen. It does happen both ways, but it shouldn't happen at all in this age.

The blame can be shared and it's getting to the point where I am losing interest .  That fake punt really did it for me, nice one tomlin. I would rather have lost  making hate opponent drive 80+ yards instead of 45 especially since our D was getting pressure and the secondary was actually decent.  We root for the team, then tomlin does that, I was shaking my head as this happened.

Watt played all out as usual, he was getting there. As was Heyward , Tuitt and Hargrave.  Dupree had a few decent moments, but for the 5th year option price, the team should be able to do better and do what they can to address areas of need on the D. Of course, it could all be for nothing anyways if the HC makes such decisions in the game as he did today. 

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Heh. Tuitt saying he knows he tipped the ball on the last DPI on Haden, and 3 places have shown video slowed down to show it happened. Refs said Tomlin couldn’t challenge and the Superdome wouldn’t show a replay. 

The league is lacking the use of tech to make the calls correct.  The fans can see the errors, the league allows this to continue.  Another fail by the nfl . Both sides have to deal with bad refs and missed calls, the refs can't see everything and fans realize that. The league does the lest to address these issues and it continues to fail

6 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

Hard to stomach that loss.  Take away the Ridley fumble and the idiotic fake punt and we win that game.  

Have to pray that the Browns take care of business next week.  And of course, knock off the Hue Jackson winless Bungles.  

The fake punt didn't bother me. "Knowing" the Saints were gonna score, I'd rather give them the short field and leave some time on the clock then punt it down field and allow them to bleed off all 4 minutes. I'm not saying that's why Tomlin made the decision but the result was the same. 1 and a 1/2 minutes to get at least a FG? I like those odds. 

8 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

Hard to stomach that loss.  Take away the Ridley fumble and the idiotic fake punt and we win that game.  

Have to pray that the Browns take care of business next week.  And of course, knock off the Hue Jackson winless Bungles.  

also the phantom penalties helped the saints. I would say once all that was removed, we win by 10 or more in the dome. And that is without our pro bowl RB, legit pro bowl RB . But as we all know, that isn't the nfl, the nfl is a league that is seriously flawed in how much the refs can influence a game and how bad in game coaching can turn a game around.

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

The fake punt didn't bother me. "Knowing" the Saints were gonna score, I'd rather give them the short field and leave some time on the clock then punt it down field and allow them to bleed off all 4 minutes. I'm not saying that's why Tomlin made the decision but the result was the same. 1 and a 1/2 minutes to get at least a FG? I like those odds. 

our D was actually holding their own at that stage in the game. But maybe tomlin sensed the failure of the D was inevitable as it was all season. 

Just rewatched the fake:

Anthony Chickilo tried to tackle the guy hanging on Rosie Nix rather than pushing the pile and likely caused Nix to come up short. 

Also:

ESPN, FS1, and CBSSports are all ripping the refs on the 2 DPI calls. 

2 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

It is almost January and we have one more win then the Browns.

How many probowlers  or HOF players do the Browns have? If they let Baker start day 1 and if they never got robbed by the refs in Oakland, they could be in the playoffs. Quite a turnaround they had , I expect them to make the playoffs next year . Our division could be competitive  again , but the bungles will still have Lewis and still be the usual

Archived