OROY

pnies20

1 minute ago, Acgott said:

@LETSGOBROWNIES I’m just responding to your question. You can nitpick if you really want.

He also set the record for most touches without a fumble.

Barkley also became the 3rd rookie to surpass 2000 yfs and first to do it when his team had a losing record.

He also led the league in 20+ and 40+ runs.

No nitpicking, just discussing. Appreciate you taking the time to lemme know, no BS, no sarcasm.

Just now, Acgott said:

Is this in reference to Baker vs Saquon? QB is of course the more important position. It will come down to if the voters view the award as an MVP award or a stat award.

It’s a bit of both though, right?  The difference being rookie QB’s don’t put up numbers comparable to vet QB’s.

Saquon was expected to compete for a rushing title day one.  Most QB’s aren’t expected to dmuch of anything year 1. Baker played at an elite level for much of the season at arguably the toughest position on the field.

Saquon did what he was expected to do, what any RB drafted top 5 should do.  Baker played well above almost all expectations of ANY rookie QB.

26 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No nitpicking, just discussing. Appreciate you taking the time to lemme know, no BS, no sarcasm.

It’s a bit of both though, right?  The difference being rookie QB’s don’t put up numbers comparable to vet QB’s.

Saquon was expected to compete for a rushing title day one.  Most QB’s aren’t expected to dmuch of anything year 1. Baker played at an elite level for much of the season at arguably the toughest position on the field.

Saquon did what he was expected to do, what any RB drafted top 5 should do.  Baker played well above almost all expectations of ANY rookie QB.

Meh, the learning curve for QBs has shrunken in recent years, but I understand your point. What Baker did this year was very impressive in a more important position.

2 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

He’s not putting up top shelf numbers. He’s 19th in Passer Rating and 17th in yards, in a league filled with backups, journeymen, guys playing through injuries, and other rookies. Ergo, his numbers are below average.

He’s also not winning games. He has a losing record on a team with good defense, offensive line, and running game. He’s still a loser.

Didn’t realize Collin cowherd posted on here.

8 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

If Lamar Jackson is in the conversation, why not bring in Josh Allen as well. I’m not suggesting that Allen is a legitimate OROY candidate...I’m just saying that Jackson is pretty bad and he is incredibly fortunate to be backed by an unbelievable defense. If he played on 90% of the teams in the league he would clearly look like a bottom 5 QB.

1. Lamar Jackson isn’t in the conversation for ROTY, I included his name as an example as to show over-relying on team improvements to compensate voting favoritism to Baker makes no sense. I used multiple examples for this measure.

2. That same defense led the team to only a 4-5 record before Lamar Jackson took over the offense.

3. Jackson wasn’t drafted on 90% of the other teams because not everyone is willing to commit to winning with his skillset. However if said team was committed and Jackson started the season, like the other rookie QBs he likely has some struggles early (I mean Baker, Rosen, Darnold, and Allen have all had multiple 3+ interception games).

That said, Jackson took over the 31st ranked rushing offense in the league with only 7 games left in the season and proceeded to convert it to the 2nd ranked rushing attack by season’s end. Had he played for the entire season he rushes for 1100 yards, 10 TDs and then passes for 2900 yards, 15 TDs. He also leads the Ravens into the playoffs. He then wins ROTY unanimously. (See how two can play the hypothetical game?)

1 hour ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Most of the quarterbacks on the list didn’t start the whole season. In YPG, he’s still 17th.

Lets really dive deep into Mayfields season.
  • 2018 stats
    • 3725 yards / 27 TDs / 14 INTS
  • 2018 projected stats
    • 4257 yards / 31 TDs / 16 INTs
  • 2018 projected Stats with Kitchens for a full 16 games
    • 4508 yards / 34 TDs / 16 INTS
      • 2254yards (8games under Kitchens) (281avg game) 4508 yards (16 game projection with Kitchens)
      • 17 TDs (8games under Kitchens) 34 TDs (16 game projection with Kitchens)
      • 8 INTs (8games under Kitchens) 16 INTs (16 game projection with Kitchens)

You dont hear about anyone ever giving him credit for dealing with Hue's trash coaching and Haley's inability to drop his ego and call a legit offense and use his players right. There is a lot of love from Browns fans who want Kitchens to potentially be the HC. Under Kitchen for a season, He would be top6 in yards and TDs. No other QB or player put up with that kind of trash he had to, to start off his NFL career. Heck, Hue made it a spectacle naming him the #2 QB in the preseason.  

It’s kind of funny how Mayfield gets half his season thrown out because of Hue but not other QBs.

Should we call Tyrod Taylor 2-0 with the Browns this year with wins over Pittsburgh and New Orleans because he almost won the first two games with Hue? Or is Mayfield the only person who gets his actual results erased?

30 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

1. Lamar Jackson isn’t in the conversation for ROTY, I included his name as an example as to show over-relying on team improvements to compensate voting favoritism to Baker makes no sense. I used multiple examples for this measure.

2. That same defense led the team to only a 4-5 record before Lamar Jackson took over the offense.

3. Jackson wasn’t drafted on 90% of the other teams because not everyone is willing to commit to winning with his skillset. However if said team was committed and Jackson started the season, like the other rookie QBs he likely has some struggles early (I mean Baker, Rosen, Darnold, and Allen have all had multiple 3+ interception games).

That said, Jackson took over the 31st ranked rushing offense in the league with only 7 games left in the season and proceeded to convert it to the 2nd ranked rushing attack by season’s end. Had he played for the entire season he rushes for 1100 yards, 10 TDs and then passes for 2900 yards, 15 TDs. He also leads the Ravens into the playoffs. He then wins ROTY unanimously. (See how two can play the hypothetical game?)

Enjoy it while it lasts

All in all, just because I believe Barkley should be the OROY does not mean I don’t believe Mayfield was a great player this season.

Whether Derwin James or Darius Leonard wins DROY does that make the other player any less a player.

Honestly I feel like some Browns fans (perhaps not all) almost seem to take it personal for a difference of opinion to take place. I’ve made my arguments known for why I believe Barkley SHOULD win the OROY. If he loses, so be it. If he wins, so he it. It does not make him any less of a talent.

I simply believe the award should be about total statistical relevance in comparison to peers as a rookie. Barkley has proven to be the best RB behind a below average OL (this isn’t the 16’ Cowboys). But hey, I don’t have a dog in this fight. Just calling it how I see it.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

The defenses you played in the 2nd half weren't as good as the first half but ignoring that based on yards per start he would have had under 2600 yards passing and 5 TD passes in 7 starts equals 11.5 TD passes so your math is wrong. Even with your inflated numbers he has less TDs than Baker in more games so.. whatever.I'm willing to let this play out and see how it goes for each team.

Archived