OROY

pnies20

25 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think statistically, for the entire year, Baker had an average year.  That’s not even a slight for a rookie imo.

However his play after ridding himself of Hue/Haley and their ineptitude was significantly better than average. The last half of the season there weren’t a lot of QB’s who outplayed him.

Yeah he was statistically average and if you don't watch Browns games you are going to go with that. I'll say he has a top 10 arm in strength and top 5 in accuracy already, and I'm being conservative.

Tyrod's sack percentage was 13.3. Kizer last year (with Joe Thomas for the beginning of the season) was almost 8. Mayfield was under 5, if anyone thinks the offensive line with Greg Robinson in there made the difference so be it, It was 90% Baker and 10% Kitchens.

Mayfield is special and will be appreciated in time. I'm willing to let everyone catch up to that.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think statistically, for the entire year, Baker had an average year.  That’s not even a slight for a rookie imo.

However his play after ridding himself of Hue/Haley and their ineptitude was significantly better than average. The last half of the season there weren’t a lot of QB’s who outplayed him.

I would agree with this and it's why I think Barkley deserves the award. He was phenomenal the entire year with a garbage OL for half of it and an average/below average one for the other half. 

9 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I would agree with this and it's why I think Barkley deserves the award. He was phenomenal the entire year with a garbage OL for half of it and an average/below average one for the other half. 

I’m pretty sure I understand your stance.

40 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

He did average less than 3 yards per carry in 4 games and less than 4 yards per in 7 games. It isn't like he dominated every time he stepped on the field. He had 7 100 yard rushing games and 7 under 50 yard games. You can blame it on his surroundings but it is all speculative because we don't have a comparision against how his sub would have done.

That said: Mayfield took over just before the half against the Jets so we know how Tyrod Taylor would do.

Cleveland Passing
  C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT SACKS QBR RTG
Baker Mayfield 17/23 201 8.7 0 0 1-8 94.9 100.1
Tyrod Taylor 4/14 19 1.4 0 0 3-22 5.6 39.6
TEAM 21/37 190 5.9 0 0 4-30 -- 74.2

:D

Honestly, don't think it's that hard. Just depends on what matters more to you:

Do you care more about Barkley having a great season and outperforming Mayfield when compared to his positional peers (not just rookies)

Do you care more about the fact that Mayfield plays the far harder, and far more important position despite not being as proficient compared to his positional peers. 

personally, I understand either stance, so I'm not going to be put off if it's either one

55 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, don't think it's that hard. Just depends on what matters more to you:

Do you care more about Barkley having a great season and outperforming Mayfield when compared to his positional peers (not just rookies)

Do you care more about the fact that Mayfield plays the far harder, and far more important position despite not being as proficient compared to his positional peers. 

personally, I understand either stance, so I'm not going to be put off if it's either one

I think the voters opinions will vary the same way. Should be close.

Now if you compared rookie RBs to Barkley and rookie QBs to Baker there is an obvious larger gap in the latter but I don't think the voters are going to go much beyond stats and highlights and I think Barkley edges him out there.

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think the voters opinions will vary the same way. Should be close.

Now if you compared rookie RBs to Barkley and rookie QBs to Baker there is an obvious larger gap in the latter but I don't think the voters are going to go much beyond stats and highlights and I think Barkley edges him out there.

If I was a Browns fan, this is what I'd hope for. Baker is the type of guy who lives off of negative energy, steps his game up after he feels slighted. 

Coming 2nd in OROY - even though there's a compelling reason to vote him - is only going to drive him. And that's a good thing for him.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If I was a Browns fan, this is what I'd hope for. Baker is the type of guy who lives off of negative energy, steps his game up after he feels slighted. 

Coming 2nd in OROY - even though there's a compelling reason to vote him - is only going to drive him. And that's a good thing for him.

Plus, we'll no doubt get the most epic crotch grab ever directed  at barkley for winning the award when these two teams play each other in 2020 and Baker throws the winning touchdown. 

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

Plus, we'll no doubt get the most epic crotch grab ever directed  at barkley for winning the award when these two teams play each other in 2020 and Baker throws the winning touchdown. 

I'm sure we'll get an epic slow clap at the NFL Honors award show when Saquan is named winner...

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm sure we'll get an epic slow clap at the NFL Honors award show when Saquan is named winner...

You know Baker's going to skip the show, and do a photo shoot with a Black Raven in his birthday suit instead (last year it was a Bengal tiger and topless, so he's got to up his game this offseason). 

When comparing Baker's season to other recent young QB seasons you have to take into account the major statistical shift in favor of QBs in general this season.

The Average passer rating around the league is something like 94.8 (I couldn't find the exact number) this season compared to 90.8 last season. What I'm saying is, the league rules or level of QB play in general is just higher than it used to be.

-My quick math was done using these numbers simply for a point, not for an exact science. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/index.htm 

10 minutes ago, Danger said:

When comparing Baker's season to other recent young QB seasons you have to take into account the major statistical shift in favor of QBs in general this season.

The Average passer rating around the league is something like 94.8 (I couldn't find the exact number) this season compared to 90.8 last season. What I'm saying is, the league rules or level of QB play in general is just higher than it used to be.

-My quick math was done using these numbers simply for a point, not for an exact science. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/index.htm 

I see the league rushing yards per attempt was the highest ever recorded for a season. Highest passing TD percentage ever. 2nd highest scoring season ever. I think what this really proves is that they need to raise the mound.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Yeah, I've heard that but I don't think it is really a negative and I would doubt he would either. I know a lot of people doubt that the Browns can win a Super Bowl. He can always find articles of people who doubt him if he needs it but right now I think it is too early to need it. Right now I think he has a job to do and that is motivation enough. Once he wins 4 or 5 rings, then he'll need inspiration.

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I see the league rushing yards per attempt was the highest ever recorded for a season. Highest passing TD percentage ever. 2nd highest scoring season ever. I think what this really proves is that they need to raise the mound.

Or perhaps alter the footballs....oh wait.

12 hours ago, Danger said:

Eli had 4300 yards on 66% completions this year and the general consensus seems to be that he sucks.

Mayfield had 3700 yards on 64% completions and Browns fans are already planning on building a statue in his honor and renaming Main Street. 

Archived