My off season wish list!

Golfman

9 hours ago, Norm said:

I think Alex or someone brought this up but cutting Graham next year is pretty poor as far as money goes isn't it?

I think it's about 5 million cap savings if you cut him in 2019.  In 2020 it's double that amount and more than likely is the time.   

18 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Whoever they hire for head coach must change how they use their tight ends.  We do not have tight ends who have the speed and quickness to get open on their own.  Utilize Graham's strengths ... possession type receiver as he is getting older.  

He's having trouble catching contested balls. The speed is fine for now. He just needs to be thrown to when he's open.

16 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

I think it's about 5 million cap savings if you cut him in 2019.  In 2020 it's double that amount and more than likely is the time.   

5 million in cap savings if a standard cut.

9 million in cap savings if a June 1st cut, but they you have 4 million in dead cap on next year's cap. 

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He's having trouble catching contested balls. The speed is fine for now. He just needs to be thrown to when he's open.

He sure looked slow yesterday.  Another year of aging isn't going to help.  I like him as our tight end but just not sure they are using him to his strengths.  Give him props for playing with a bad thumb which isn't helping but expecting more creative ways to use him next year.

7 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

He sure looked slow yesterday.  Another year of aging isn't going to help.  I like him as our tight end but just not sure they are using him to his strengths.  Give him props for playing with a bad thumb which isn't helping but expecting more creative ways to use him next year.

Agreed that he's not the star athlete he once was, but he can still run the seam and still be a big target. 

It'll come for Graham, none of the other TEs we've brought in were good through the first twelve weeks. That's a position that will take adjustment. 

11 hours ago, Jaire_Island said:

One of the worst decesion that TT has taken during his regime was to let Jared Cook go.

Packers offense looked soo good when we have him and confidence of NO12 is all time high.

We never looked that close after his departure. We should have brought him back, but we are niw tied with Jimmy. He looked real real slow...

At least Jimmy isn't the quitter that freaking Bennett was!  What happened with Cook?   Did his agent make a demand that TT balked to?  I can't recall...

4 minutes ago, Jaire_Island said:

Can we have both Jared Cook and Jimmy G by getting rid of Lance K and Lewis.

We can draft a TE and our TE group will be like -

Jared cook

Jimmy Graham

Tonyan

Rookie.

Is it going to cost too much for Packers..?

Will Cook be a FA after this season?

7 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think at this juncture, you would have to at least try to bring back Breeland.  The rest of the CBs should be dirt cheap, and a 1-2-3 of King-Alexander-Breeland would be a pretty formidable group.  Wilkerson should also be a value re-sign if Pettine is still around.

I also think it would be a mistake to cut Bulaga, and Graham (like Crosby) if there isn't a replacement in house already.  Graham is the only TE currently under contract for 2019.  Behind Bulaga you have Spriggs, Murphy, an assumed draft selection, and the UDFA types.  I would be more comfortable with Spriggs or a draft pick at RT next season, if I thought we had the starting RG on the roster right now, I hope that we do not.

Yes, Breeland was a miss by me when I put this together rather quickly. I would definitely like him back next year. I actually edited my original post to add keeping him. Thanks for pointing that out. 

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Yes, I agree so here is the over the cap for Green Bay in 2019. If you chose to drink or not is not my issue.

Jimmy Graham, if we keep him we pay him 12,666,666 for the year. If we cut him we have 7,333,334 in 'dead money', but we save 5,333,332 which is added to our cap money. You keep trying to equate what we save to what we could bring in and that is not apples to apples. 

Your thought is it is better to pay him 12.6 million than lose 7. 

My thought is it is better to add 5.3 to our already 50 million on cap space (added the carryover from 2018) than to pay this guy 12.6 and still have a position in disarray.  

The financially prudent move is to admit your mistakes, minimize your losses and move one. He's still on the books for 2020 so you whip out that as well. I know math is hard, but this is pretty basic business economics. 

$12,666,666  
$7,333,334
$5,333,332

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/

16 minutes ago, Jaire_Island said:

Yes Pugger. He will be Un Restricted FA coming offseason...

Falling in love with the Cook from what would be 3 years ago, was the same mistake we made with falling in love with the Graham from his Saints days. Guys don't age gracefully in this league. Cook will be 32, I'd pass. 

I'd rather go after a younger guy who can block too in free agency if we need one. Those guys are usually less expensive. 

Our offense can thrive without a world class TE. Using our money to solidify the offensive line and defense is a better use of resources. Getting Graham off the books is IMO, a much more prudent business move than hoping he 'rebounds' at the age of 34.

The saying is cut them a year too early rather than a year too late. We signed him a few years too late and people want to hold onto him another year. That is the formula for losing organizations. 

12 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Our offense can thrive without a world class TE. Using our money to solidify the offensive line and defense is a better use of resources. Getting Graham off the books is IMO, a much more prudent business move than hoping he 'rebounds' at the age of 34.

The saying is cut them a year too early rather than a year too late. We signed him a few years too late and people want to hold onto him another year. That is the formula for losing organizations. 

Isn't that the exact same logic that lead to cutting Cook and everyboady moaning about how he wasn't retained?

I just don't get how the math works out that:

Jimmy Graham for 12.666 million is somehow worse than no Jimmy Graham for 7.333 million.

Archived