GDT 2018: Week 17 - Cleveland @ Baltimore - FOR THE DIVISION TITLE!!

RavensTillIDie

19 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

My disdain for the Browns are noted. While I like 'Shake N Bake' Mayfield, he must lose because this is bigger than him.

We will win the division by our own might. By our own strong will. We will send, The Mighty Joe Flacco off in style! Another AFC North Crown!

A road to the Superbowl with 5 more wins to go. The Browns will be just another victim.

Ravens 30 - Browns 14

Browns fan here. Just checking out posts before the game. I’m just curious what your disdain for the Browns might be?  If it weren’t for the Browns you all wouldn’t even have a team. But that’s cool. 

As for the game, the fact is, one of you two have to make it. We can’t help that. As far as who goes versus who doesn’t, we don’t really care. As Herman said, you play to win the game, and that’s what we’re coming in to town to do. Win the game. 

I read you guys saying it’s going to be a routine win, etc. You all have confidence, and that’s cool, too. But you just might be selling us short. But that’s okay. If you take an unbiased look at your team, your QB is run only. His throwing leaves a little to be desired. Basically, your offense can’t score and you rely on your defense, that while good, can’t be counted on to bail you out the rest of the way as you hope. 

The key for us is don’t turn the ball over, contain Lamar, sell out to stop the run, and don’t let it come down to a FG at the end to win.  If it does, our special teams suck.

Your defense is good, but we’re going to score some points. I’m not saying we’re going to win the game, but you all might be surprised by that disdainful team from Cleveland. I mean, shoot, we already beat you once this year, and that was when Hue was coaching us.  Sunday will be a tremendous test for us. If you win, great. If not, it won’t be a total shock. At least not to the Browns and their fans. We’re on our way.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

Browns fan here. Just checking out posts before the game. I’m just curious what your disdain for the Browns might be?  If it weren’t for the Browns you all wouldn’t even have a team. But that’s cool. 

As for the game, the fact is, one of you two have to make it. We can’t help that. As far as who goes versus who doesn’t, we don’t really care. As Herman said, you play to win the game, and that’s what we’re coming in to town to do. Win the game. 

I read you guys saying it’s going to be a routine win, etc. You all have confidence, and that’s cool, too. But you just might be selling us short. But that’s okay. If you take an unbiased look at your team, your QB is run only. His throwing leaves a little to be desired. Basically, your offense can’t score and you rely on your defense, that while good, can’t be counted on to bail you out the rest of the way as you hope. 

The key for us is don’t turn the ball over, contain Lamar, sell out to stop the run, and don’t let it come down to a FG at the end to win.  If it does, our special teams suck.

Your defense is good, but we’re going to score some points. I’m not saying we’re going to win the game, but you all might be surprised by that disdainful team from Cleveland. I mean, shoot, we already beat you once this year, and that was when Hue was coaching us.  Sunday will be a tremendous test for us. If you win, great. If not, it won’t be a total shock. At least not to the Browns and their fans. We’re on our way.  Thanks!

1. Weak argument. Blame the Colts. If they hadn’t legitimately stolen our team (and it’s history) we never would’ve been in a position to inherent the Browns (without their history).

2. Debateable. From my personal check it looks like there is a 4-3 split in favor of people that are actually fearful of this game vs people that see it as a routine win.

3. Interesting. Perhaps you’re now the person underestimating the opposing squad. They scored 20 in a rain storm against the Bucs. 24 against both the Chiefs and Bengals respectively. They scored 19 on the Falcons and 34 on the Raiders. And in two of those games we took knees while inside the red zone to end the game vs adding points to the board.

4. How many points are you anticipating? Your statement is quite vague. I equally think the Ravens offense will put up some points against your defense.

Though I find it funny that this defense is only considered “good”. This defense held the Chargers offense to 10 points (scoring 7). They held the high powered Bucs to 12 points. Atlanta’s offense to 9 points (and scored 7 points themselves). Held the Chiefs to under 30 points in virtually 5 quarters.

I’m sure the Browns will put up points. Baker is a mobile pocket passer like Mahomes and Winston. But how many? If recent weeks are any indicator than I’d be willing to guess they hold the Browns offense to 17 points or less. Wouldn’t shock me if the Browns defense scored moving the total to 23 points, but it equally wouldn’t shock me if our defense scores.

As it stands the Browns are generally just a little better than the Bengals rush defense and is generally a good bit worse than the Chargers. We just ran for 159 yards vs a better run defense that has the ultimate personnel to stop our unit.

So if I had to guess, I would say you guys sell out to stop the run, like most teams have, and we rush for 215 yards against your D wearing them down as the game goes along. Our offense puts up 23 points.

Ravens win 23-16. The game ends with 3 kneel downs in the red zone where we had the opportunity to score more points, but just get out of there as healthy as possible. And Baker stares down Lamar creepily.

9 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

1. Weak argument. Blame the Colts. If they hadn’t legitimately stolen our team (and it’s history) we never would’ve been in a position to inherent the Browns (without their history).

2. Debateable. From my personal check it looks like there is a 4-3 split in favor of people that are actually fearful of this game vs people that see it as a routine win.

3. Interesting. Perhaps you’re now the person underestimating the opposing squad. They scored 20 in a rain storm against the Bucs. 24 against both the Chiefs and Bengals respectively. They scored 19 on the Falcons and 34 on the Raiders. And in two of those games we took knees while inside the red zone to end the game vs adding points to the board.

4. How many points are you anticipating? Your statement is quite vague. I equally think the Ravens offense will put up some points against your defense.

Though I find it funny that this defense is only considered “good”. This defense held the Chargers offense to 10 points (scoring 7). They held the high powered Bucs to 12 points. Atlanta’s offense to 9 points (and scored 7 points themselves). Held the Chiefs to under 30 points in virtually 5 quarters.

I’m sure the Browns will put up points. Baker is a mobile pocket passer like Mahomes and Winston. But how many? If recent weeks are any indicator than I’d be willing to guess they hold the Browns offense to 17 points or less. Wouldn’t shock me if the Browns defense scored moving the total to 23 points, but it equally wouldn’t shock me if our defense scores.

As it stands the Browns are generally just a little better than the Bengals rush defense and is generally a good bit worse than the Chargers. We just ran for 159 yards vs a better run defense that has the ultimate personnel to stop our unit.

So if I had to guess, I would say you guys sell out to stop the run, like most teams have, and we rush for 215 yards against your D wearing them down as the game goes along. Our offense puts up 23 points.

Ravens win 23-16. The game ends with 3 kneel downs in the red zone where we had the opportunity to score more points, but just get out of there as healthy as possible. And Baker stares down Lamar creepily.

Thanks for the civil response.  I appreciate it. I know how these threads can get sometimes.  

I can't respond to all points, but will just touch on some briefly.

For Browns fans, it's about Modell.  It always has been.  Always will be.  He sold us out.

I think your defense is quite good, actually.  In fact, it should be of major concern to the Browns and how to prepare to play against them.  Oh, they worry me, for sure.  But I don't think you can keep relying on them to score each game like they have.  Punt return and fumble TD against the Raiders.  TD against the Chargers.  TD against Atlanta.  Man, that's nice, but you can't count on it.  Your offense is lacking.  Offensively you put up 19 on a bad Falcons defense.  20 against the Raider powerhouse.  And 16 against the Chargers, which was okay, but ultimately may not have been enough.  You guys are winning, and I wish we were in your play-off situation.  But we are not.  All I'm saying is, this Browns team has a good shot against you guys.

Look, we are not going to the play-offs this year.  We could discuss the reasons for that, but we ain't going.  One of you remaining two are.  I don't care which one it is.  It makes no difference to me, although some Browns fans feel strongly one way or the other, I am not that way.  Our only goal is to come in there, play our best, leave with a win, and build on it for next year.  If that means you don't go to the play-offs, that's just how it goes.  If we lose and Pittsburgh misses out, I'm not losing any sleep over that one, either.

I think in order to beat the Ravens, you cannot turn the ball over, and you have to take your best offensive player, which right now is Lamar,  out of his game.  That's up to Gregg Williams to figure out.  I think they should shadow Jackson, sell out to stop the run, and make Jackson beat you with his arm.  And he might.  But, again, as an offense, we cannot turn the ball over.

How many will we score?  I have no idea.  But, this is not the same Browns team you are used to seeing.  Those days are over.  You can see we are playing much better than we were the first time we played you guys, and we are getting better.  The games we used to lose?  We're winning those games now.  We're 5-1 over our last six games.

Your defense has the edge.  Your special teams have the edge.  But we still have a very good chance of coming out of there with a win, in my opinion. 

We shall see.  Thanks again for the courteous response.  Appreciate it.  I'll stop back.  If you win, I'll say good job, see you next year.  If we win, I'll just say good game.  No need for harshness from either side.   Take care and enjoy the game|

2 hours ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

Thanks for the civil response.  I appreciate it. I know how these threads can get sometimes.  

I can't respond to all points, but will just touch on some briefly.

For Browns fans, it's about Modell.  It always has been.  Always will be.  He sold us out.

I think your defense is quite good, actually.  In fact, it should be of major concern to the Browns and how to prepare to play against them.  Oh, they worry me, for sure.  But I don't think you can keep relying on them to score each game like they have.  Punt return and fumble TD against the Raiders.  TD against the Chargers.  TD against Atlanta.  Man, that's nice, but you can't count on it.  Your offense is lacking.  Offensively you put up 19 on a bad Falcons defense.  20 against the Raider powerhouse.  And 16 against the Chargers, which was okay, but ultimately may not have been enough.  You guys are winning, and I wish we were in your play-off situation.  But we are not.  All I'm saying is, this Browns team has a good shot against you guys.

Look, we are not going to the play-offs this year.  We could discuss the reasons for that, but we ain't going.  One of you remaining two are.  I don't care which one it is.  It makes no difference to me, although some Browns fans feel strongly one way or the other, I am not that way.  Our only goal is to come in there, play our best, leave with a win, and build on it for next year.  If that means you don't go to the play-offs, that's just how it goes.  If we lose and Pittsburgh misses out, I'm not losing any sleep over that one, either.

I think in order to beat the Ravens, you cannot turn the ball over, and you have to take your best offensive player, which right now is Lamar,  out of his game.  That's up to Gregg Williams to figure out.  I think they should shadow Jackson, sell out to stop the run, and make Jackson beat you with his arm.  And he might.  But, again, as an offense, we cannot turn the ball over.

How many will we score?  I have no idea.  But, this is not the same Browns team you are used to seeing.  Those days are over.  You can see we are playing much better than we were the first time we played you guys, and we are getting better.  The games we used to lose?  We're winning those games now.  We're 5-1 over our last six games.

Your defense has the edge.  Your special teams have the edge.  But we still have a very good chance of coming out of there with a win, in my opinion. 

We shall see.  Thanks again for the courteous response.  Appreciate it.  I'll stop back.  If you win, I'll say good job, see you next year.  If we win, I'll just say good game.  No need for harshness from either side.   Take care and enjoy the game|

1. Absolutely. They’ve been pretty good at causing turnovers lately, but for most of this season they haven’t been creating turnovers. Even without the games where we created key turnovers and just straight up balled, we’ve been 3-1 under Lamar. And those turnovers were generally the icing on the cake vs the thing that created the cake itself. Those turnovers have largely been a factor of opposing offenses falling behind in the possession battle and being down by scores and started pressing. We then took advantage of that.

2. This is certainly fair, but the Chargers used Pro Bowl safety Derwin James to try and shadow Jackson. They actually had the optimal gameplan. Stuff the run up the gut with linebackers and DTs (they have good space eaters) and force Jackson to beat you as a runner. They had their ends practice contain and again had James shadowing Jackson. The goal was to force Jackson to have to beat your contain against arguably the most athletic/run stopping combo of DEs in the league (Bosa/Ingram), which he was able to do, but then also outrun the angle of one of the most athletic safety/spies in the game... which he could do but only for 3-4 yard gains, which produces risk/reward that isn’t optimal. So Jackson preceded to kill them with the passing attack across the middle, behind those LBers that were crashing in to stop Gus the Bus, leaving massive throwing lanes to fit the ball into. They then switched up and moved Derwin James as the cover for Hayden Hurst and Mark Andrews and used another one of their athletes to spy Jackson. That was the most effective they were at stopping our offense.

So if your defense sells out to stop Lamar on the outside, that will provide open pockets for Andrews, Boyle, and Hurst (as he’s been seeing more playing time and delivering) to slip behind. If the LBers don’t sell out to fill gaps upnfront than they risk Gus Edwards carving them up for 6-10 yards at a time. This has been the dilemma that each defensive unit has faced so far.

Occasionally we throw in trickery with WRs running jet sweeps. Which I actually believe we will see quite a bit of some jet sweep motion (pistol formation) turned read option where Chris Moore becomes the option man for Jackson. Forcing the defense to face a) Stop Gus by selling up the middle b) stop Jackson with both a contain and spy or c) if the spy crashes on Jackson we now have Moore as the option man to make a play along the outside with Crabtree blocking the corner. This will then force the defense to play offbalance and Jackson is too fast to contain when you’re not playing with complete confidence of what you’re doing. That’s the wrinkle I see used in this game.

3. That’s true. But we also are 5-1 in these past few games and is a completely different offense than the 30th ranked run offense we had under Flacco. A different offense where we passed the ball 40+ times a game- generally to receivers that are average to above average (at best), which actually plays into the strength of your 6th ranked DVOA pass defense. Our run first philosophy is a much better matchup, for us, versus your 21st ranked rush defense. Your interior options at DT and ILB have struggled and if that persists in this matchup that should mean plenty of yards up the middle for Gus Edwards and Kenneth Dixon to come by. There best bet will be to try and force a fumble off Dixon to deflate a drive or get lucky on one of the read exchanges for Jackson to Gus.

4. All in all I’m concerned about this game because this unit hasn’t always proven to be clutch and we’re playing rivals. It’s going to be the first Jackson vs Mayfield matchup (add Mark Andrews and Orlando Brown in there as well) and I’m hoping they just play their game and don’t press. Mayfield’s ability to move in the pocket and force longer coverage could also be a problem. That said he’s been getting the ball out quicker recently to compensate for the lukewarm play you guys have seen at the OT spots. So the key will be to keep Baker in the pocket but the coverage will need to force him to hold onto the ball a little longer.

This defense is significantly weaker with Tony Jefferson in the lineup as he’s a complete coverage liability. I’d expect the Browns to target him repeatedly if they’re smart. He’s also horrible at his tackle technique and so I’d expect a TE to get yards on him after the catch. By exposing Jefferson over the middle (and to a lesser degree Mosley), Baker could open the field up for himself as the defense starts to lose trust and overcompensate to help those guys. And like you said, don’t turn the ball over. Because this defense does an excellent job of disguising their coverages and their blitzes. So Baker will have to overcome that challenge and not force passes off too quickly off of what he believes is going on pre-snap, less the defense switches it up quickly and forces him into mistakes.

45 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

1. Absolutely. They’ve been pretty good at causing turnovers lately, but for most of this season they haven’t been creating turnovers. Even without the games where we created key turnovers and just straight up balled, we’ve been 3-1 under Lamar. And those turnovers were generally the icing on the cake vs the thing that created the cake itself. Those turnovers have largely been a factor of opposing offenses falling behind in the possession battle and being down by scores and started pressing. We then took advantage of that.

2. This is certainly fair, but the Chargers used Pro Bowl safety Derwin James to try and shadow Jackson. They actually had the optimal gameplan. Stuff the run up the gut with linebackers and DTs (they have good space eaters) and force Jackson to beat you as a runner. They had their ends practice contain and again had James shadowing Jackson. The goal was to force Jackson to have to beat your contain against arguably the most athletic/run stopping combo of DEs in the league (Bosa/Ingram), which he was able to do, but then also outrun the angle of one of the most athletic safety/spies in the game... which he could do but only for 3-4 yard gains, which produces risk/reward that isn’t optimal. So Jackson preceded to kill them with the passing attack across the middle, behind those LBers that were crashing in to stop Gus the Bus, leaving massive throwing lanes to fit the ball into. They then switched up and moved Derwin James as the cover for Hayden Hurst and Mark Andrews and used another one of their athletes to spy Jackson. That was the most effective they were at stopping our offense.

So if your defense sells out to stop Lamar on the outside, that will provide open pockets for Andrews, Boyle, and Hurst (as he’s been seeing more playing time and delivering) to slip behind. If the LBers don’t sell out to fill gaps upnfront than they risk Gus Edwards carving them up for 6-10 yards at a time. This has been the dilemma that each defensive unit has faced so far.

Occasionally we throw in trickery with WRs running jet sweeps. Which I actually believe we will see quite a bit of some jet sweep motion (pistol formation) turned read option where Chris Moore becomes the option man for Jackson. Forcing the defense to face a) Stop Gus by selling up the middle b) stop Jackson with both a contain and spy or c) if the spy crashes on Jackson we now have Moore as the option man to make a play along the outside with Crabtree blocking the corner. This will then force the defense to play offbalance and Jackson is too fast to contain when you’re not playing with complete confidence of what you’re doing. That’s the wrinkle I see used in this game.

3. That’s true. But we also are 5-1 in these past few games and is a completely different offense than the 30th ranked run offense we had under Flacco. A different offense where we passed the ball 40+ times a game- generally to receivers that are average to above average (at best), which actually plays into the strength of your 6th ranked DVOA pass defense. Our run first philosophy is a much better matchup, for us, versus your 21st ranked rush defense. Your interior options at DT and ILB have struggled and if that persists in this matchup that should mean plenty of yards up the middle for Gus Edwards and Kenneth Dixon to come by. There best bet will be to try and force a fumble off Dixon to deflate a drive or get lucky on one of the read exchanges for Jackson to Gus.

4. All in all I’m concerned about this game because this unit hasn’t always proven to be clutch and we’re playing rivals. It’s going to be the first Jackson vs Mayfield matchup (add Mark Andrews and Orlando Brown in there as well) and I’m hoping they just play their game and don’t press. Mayfield’s ability to move in the pocket and force longer coverage could also be a problem. That said he’s been getting the ball out quicker recently to compensate for the lukewarm play you guys have seen at the OT spots. So the key will be to keep Baker in the pocket but the coverage will need to force him to hold onto the ball a little longer.

This defense is significantly weaker with Tony Jefferson in the lineup as he’s a complete coverage liability. I’d expect the Browns to target him repeatedly if they’re smart. He’s also horrible at his tackle technique and so I’d expect a TE to get yards on him after the catch. By exposing Jefferson over the middle (and to a lesser degree Mosley), Baker could open the field up for himself as the defense starts to lose trust and overcompensate to help those guys. And like you said, don’t turn the ball over. Because this defense does an excellent job of disguising their coverages and their blitzes. So Baker will have to overcome that challenge and not force passes off too quickly off of what he believes is going on pre-snap, less the defense switches it up quickly and forces him into mistakes.

Thanks, again.  Hopefully it will be a good game.  This will be a really good test for the Browns, but I have been saying that for six weeks, now.  See how they play in a hostile environment in a very meaningful game at the end of the year against a division rival.  It will be interesting.

32 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

Thanks, again.  Hopefully it will be a good game.  This will be a really good test for the Browns, but I have been saying that for six weeks, now.  See how they play in a hostile environment in a very meaningful game at the end of the year against a division rival.  It will be interesting.

Indeed, this could be a playoff preview for next year. It will be interesting to see how each team handles this game. Both teams have been ascending as of late.

as the cathouse guy mentioned, the Brown could easily be in contention for either the WC or division spot if it were not for a bad kicker and a few unclutch plays. They lost what, 2-3 games early that could have been the swing between an <.0500 season and a playoff berth.

The same could be said about the Ravens (and other teams as well).

Basically, this is two teams which have close to the same level of players on the field, and we should expect a close game.

Browns have the better playmakers and top end players whereas the Ravens have a higher floor. If Gregg Williams sell out to stop the run and contain Jackson and he succeed, the Browns will win the game. As Diamondbull mentioned the Chargers tried that and Jackson had his best passing game of the season, so it will be interesting to see which tactic Williams choses.

Ravens will have to win the same way we have done so far, and while Jacksons offense hasn't been as productive points wise as some of Flaccos games, the Ravens have also left some (potential) points off the board as they have chosen to take a knee to seal a few games.

14 hours ago, Danand said:

as the cathouse guy mentioned, the Brown could easily be in contention for either the WC or division spot if it were not for a bad kicker and a few unclutch plays. They lost what, 2-3 games early that could have been the swing between an <.0500 season and a playoff berth.

The same could be said about the Ravens (and other teams as well).

Basically, this is two teams which have close to the same level of players on the field, and we should expect a close game.

Browns have the better playmakers and top end players whereas the Ravens have a higher floor. If Gregg Williams sell out to stop the run and contain Jackson and he succeed, the Browns will win the game. As Diamondbull mentioned the Chargers tried that and Jackson had his best passing game of the season, so it will be interesting to see which tactic Williams choses.

Ravens will have to win the same way we have done so far, and while Jacksons offense hasn't been as productive points wise as some of Flaccos games, the Ravens have also left some (potential) points off the board as they have chosen to take a knee to seal a few games.

Bear with me here.  I just want to point something out.  I went back and checked.  Jackson's line against the Chargers was  12/22 for 204 and 1 TD.  And the 1 TD covered 68 yards.  Again, bear with me.  If you take away that 1 long play I mentioned earlier, he was 11/21 (52%) for 136.  I know it all counts, and a win is a win, but if that's his best, then as Homer Simpson once said about getting a Krusty Burger that had been spit on, "I like those odds."  If we can sell out and stop your running game, I like those odds.  We'll see how it plays out Sunday.  But keep in mind, our defense scares me (in a bad way), so there's that.

32 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

Bear with me here.  I just want to point something out.  I went back and checked.  Jackson's line against the Chargers was  12/22 for 204 and 1 TD.  And the 1 TD covered 68 yards.  Again, bear with me.  If you take away that 1 long play I mentioned earlier, he was 11/21 (52%) for 136.  I know it all counts, and a win is a win, but if that's his best, then as Homer Simpson once said about getting a Krusty Burger that had been spit on, "I like those odds."  If we can sell out and stop your running game, I like those odds.  We'll see how it plays out Sunday.  But keep in mind, our defense scares me (in a bad way), so there's that.

You can read up on our whole game thread vs. the Chargers if you want, but I pointed to that part myself. Now the difference is, that if you look beyond the stats, he made key throws where he needed to.

So far Lamar Jacksons passing stats shouldn't scare anyone, but what he has done is what works and what have proven to be a winning formular so far.

6 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

LJ is doing just fine for what he is asked to do

tumblr_pkdxltGNWR1rsxc8jo1_400.png

Apparently he’s really low outside the pocket. I wonder if that’s because he’s running when he leaves the pocket and all of his throws are away (thus 0/1 for 0 yards). 

On 12/25/2018 at 8:30 PM, Kathouse Sticks said:

I wasn't alive yet when the Colts left in the middle of the night, so I can't speak on how Baltimore feels about Irsay. What I can speak on is how the Browns fans (Not all, but some, maybe even a lot) were happy when Art Modell passed away. This is a game, a freakin' game that doesn't have a bearing on anyone's life unless you gamble and take it that far. So after I've seen people get happy that I man died, even after you were able to keep your name, your championships and history, its been ---- the Browns ever since. I hope the misery of losing continues forever. Maybe I'll change my mind one day, but today isn't that day. That just didn't sit well with me.

Far as the game goes, I think the Ravens found their new identity and we're at home. In the first meeting, the Browns and the refs did everything in their power to give the Ravens the win but they didn't take it. But as you said, That was a Hue lead team. Just like this is now a Lamar lead team and they're responding to him. (#FlaccoForeverthou) I'm choosing to believe Weddle when he said this isn't the same Ravens. So I hope the defense doesn't betray Lamar as they've done Flacco in the last 3 years as I believe that will be what it comes down too. I would wish you good luck, but I'd be lying. I hope we blow y'all out and it isn't even close! I will say though, here's to a good clean game.

Archived