GDT 2018: Week 17 - Cleveland @ Baltimore - FOR THE DIVISION TITLE!!

RavensTillIDie

3 hours ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

Man, after reading this post, I don’t know. We better keep it close and just stay in the locker room. Or just cancel the flight to Baltimore altogether. I’m not sure how you guys lost to Kansas City and their #1 ranked defense. How is it you’re not 15-0 going into Sunday?  After reading that response they should just stop the season and hand you the Lombardi right now. What’s the use of playing?  Time will tell...

2 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Good question... everyone discuss 

The only logical answer is the Paleozoic era... or C. If C is the Paleozoic era than it’s definitely C.🤓

5 hours ago, Danand said:

Last time we played the Browns, they were very conservative with the pass rush, it was 3 and 4 man rushes all night, but our oline couldn't hold up and we had 2-3 receivers running routes against 5-6 players in coverage. Larry Ogunjobi killed us with his power from the inside, and unless we figure out how to rush consistently, I think Williams could apply another "conservative" defensive gameplan where Lamar has to throw into tight coverages.

If I were Williams, I wouldn't even play much zone coverage. Make Lamar throw into man coverage and tight windows over the middle. We don't throw much to the sidelines with Lamar, and if you roll out a standard 3-5 man rush with a cover 1 look behind it, Lamar will be forced to throw to the sidelines rather than over the middle.

The only dangerous part about that is you have to also employ a spy at all times, and for me that guy would be Peppers.

We'll see what he does, though. I don't understand why teams have been going heavy zone coverage against Lamar when our passing attack is primarily short passes over the middle.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If I were Williams, I wouldn't even play much zone coverage. Make Lamar throw into man coverage and tight windows over the middle. We don't throw much to the sidelines with Lamar, and if you roll out a standard 3-5 man rush with a cover 1 look behind it, Lamar will be forced to throw to the sidelines rather than over the middle.

The only dangerous part about that is you have to also employ a spy at all times, and for me that guy would be Peppers.

We'll see what he does, though. I don't understand why teams have been going heavy zone coverage against Lamar when our passing attack is primarily short passes over the middle.

Because it's much harder to break on a running QB from man, where you often have your back to the QB.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

We’ll leave that up to Williams to decide. That’s what they pay him for. The man’s a Super Bowl winning defensive coordinator, so he must know a little something. I’m sure he has somewhat of an idea how to plan for this type of offense  

Plus, this is it for him. His last shot at a live audition for the head coaching job for 2019.  They’re being pretty tight-lipped so far, so no idea if he’s even being considered, but he has this one last chance to show what he can do. A win on the road against the immortal, electric football triple threat quarterback that we have no chance against, might go a long way in showing he may be the right man for the job. 

I would expect the defense to be ready to go tomorrow with their best scheme to stop your offense. 

4 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Is that really a concern?

well with how we play now, ofc it is. Our defense plays great, but if the Browns plays the run like the Chargers did the most of the night, we will have to convert those red zone trips that we failed on against the Chargers. We still play a style where we keep games close and then run the clock in the 4th quarter, but  that is always a risky tactic.

5 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

The interesting thing about the OL is that since Lamar Jackson has taken over (knock on wood) at QB, Marshal Yanda and Ronnie Stanley have both not given up a pressure.

Now this could be due to increased confidence from being able to play more downhill and utilize more bully ball. It could have to do with less pass plays to expose them to defensive pressures. It could also have to do with Lamar Jackson’s play style/offense freezing pass rushers a bit more for fear of giving up the outside rush lane (Stanley) and forcing the interior players to maintain greater gap integrity (Yanda). And lastly running the ball so much likely tires down the defense, so when we do run more pass plays later in the game, the defense is playing less explosive than they would have been to start the game. Likely it’s due to some combination of all of these variables.

So my point in saying all of this is that, when Flacco played we passed the ball something like 55x and only rushed it about 25x. That played into the strength of the Browns defense, especially considering Denzel Ward was able to completely shut down John Brown for really the first time in our 2018 season. So now when you flip those numbers and we run the ball 50x and pass it only 20x, that should thus negate SOME of the affectiveness of their most dominant pass rushing options. Just like it was able to do the same for Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram. I believe it was against the Bucs where a pass rusher completely had a wide open lane to the QB (believe it was JPP) and he stopped his rush momentarily to read whether to contain or rush, that gave Jackson an extra 2 seconds to find an open receiver.

Now my biggest fear for this game comes down to turnovers. The Browns defense has proven to be very much good at being turnover generators. Which can be exploited when Kenneth Dixon tries to summon his inner Marshawn Lynch on runs as he looks to utilize leverage and physicality to pick up extra yards, often times leaving the ball exposed for the punch 🥊, which I’m sure the Browns defense has scouted and plan to exploit. We’ll also have to hope that Gus Edwards can get better at fielding his exchanges from Lamar. He seems to ALWAYS want the ball vs trusting Jackson to fit the ball in there and that has led to some of those botched exchange fumbles we’ve seen from Lamar (it has only happened with Gus exchanges). Throw in the inconsistent pistol formation snaps from Matt Skura and that could equate to a potential power keg moment for the opportunistic Browns defense, which thrive on turnover opportunities. That could easily lead to a score on their part.

As of now, with Ward out, I’ll predict 27-16. Baker has a pretty good passing day that forces us to play bend but don’t break defense. I’ll predict a line of 305 yards passing, 1 TD, 1 INT. We give up yards, but generally clamp down in the red zone. Holding the Browns to 3 field goals on four scoring drives. The touchdown results off a recovered fumble in their territory.

On the other side, I think Jackson goes for 85 yards rushing, 1 fumble, 210 passing yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT. Gus Edwards gets a touchdown up the gut. We control the clock with the run game and thus limit the amount of drives Baker has to provide damage to the scoreboard.

I don't necessarily agree with the above, and the Lamar/Gus exchange is puzzling. I don't know if Lamar is holding the ball too long or it is Edwards wanting to grab it too soon. When I played we had a specific rule on offense on those exchanges, something along the lines that if the runningback would have to slow down, the runningback should not grab the ball.

If Denzel Ward is out it would help as he was phenomenal in that game. After the game I legitimately felt we played well, but the Browns played equally well and shut us down. A couple of calls went against us late, and the Crabtree throw was a missed opportunity which just was the top of the iceberg in a game with 2 turnovers in the redzone (fumble by Collins and the Flacco interception).

That game was the one we should have won to prevent a week 17 like we are facing.

If anything, I would go after Tony Jefferson constantly if I were the Browns.

Just watched the Chargers game again, and he missed his assignment as the deep safety at least 4 times, should have also been flagged for at least 1 huge pass interference. After the game he apparently wondered about his bad PFF grade. If I had made the mistakes as a deep safety he made in the Chargers game, I would have gotten an *** whopping in film session.

We need a back end safety bad, cause Weddle is too slow to be that guy and Jefferson lacks the vision and discipline.

4 hours ago, Danand said:

well with how we play now, ofc it is. Our defense plays great, but if the Browns plays the run like the Chargers did the most of the night, we will have to convert those red zone trips that we failed on against the Chargers. We still play a style where we keep games close and then run the clock in the 4th quarter, but  that is always a risky tactic.

Well in that case, what makes you confident in the defense playing great? The way we currently play relies on the defense to make a big impact (because they’ve been doing it all season courtesy of their #1 rank across the league).

Against the Chargers we still rushed for 159 yards... and they’re nearly a top 5 rushing defense (DVOA) with stronger DTs up front and faster athletes overall from sideline to sideline. The Browns are just above being a bottom 10 rushing defense this season (in DVOA), definitely bottom 10 otherwise.

So what provides one more confidence that our elite defense will stop Baker (who has arguably played at an MVP level the past few weeks), while our our elite rushing attack will somehow be bottled up because they didn’t run for 185% of the league average, but only 130%. Because they only rushed for 5 yards more than what the worst rushing defense (Cardinals) give up defensively on the season (153.1). Clearly their must be a reason for your great faith in the defense but so little faith in the offense?

10 hours ago, Danand said:

What I'm getting at is even in the last game against the Chargers, where they "contained" the running game... it was still pretty effective. I'm not particularly concerned about that facet. Just the growing pains with Lamar throwing and/or bad passing offensive playcalls.

Archived