It's time to commit to Nick / What to do with Foles?

Art_Vandalay

This debate has to be tough because Foles won you your first Super Bowl.  In your hearts, there has to be a desire to repeat that with Foles.  As an outsider, though, my head says that it's a pretty easy decision - go with the better and younger player.  It's tough to find a true franchise QB in this league, and you have one in Wentz.  He just needs to stay healthy, but the potential upside is worth the risk in my opinion.

30 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

This debate has to be tough because Foles won you your first Super Bowl.  In your hearts, there has to be a desire to repeat that with Foles.  As an outsider, though, my head says that it's a pretty easy decision - go with the better and younger player.  It's tough to find a true franchise QB in this league, and you have one in Wentz.  He just needs to stay healthy, but the potential upside is worth the risk in my opinion.

I think if Nick played really well these two playoff games, it starts to build into a conversation.
He's proven to be a solid starting QB, that when executing a gameplan and has momentum.... can look great.
But beside the ending drive last week and the 1st quarter this week, he hasn't been great these playoffs.

When he's going, Wentz can make any play special. He can do it all. He's not perfect, but he's clearly the best option.

We'll always have 2017, and this little run was fun.
But it's not a question, Nick is older and by all accounts isn't gonna play when he's nearing 40 (opposite to what Wentz' mentality seems to be)
So it's like Nick for a couple years, or Carson for a decade+.

Trade Nick, get whatcha can get, thanks for the memories.

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

This. Foles will always have a special place in every Eagle fans heart. However he isn't the FQBOTF for the Eagles. That is Carson Wentz, period.

Had he suffered another ACL injury to the same knee,  then I could  possibly understand the reasoning  behind this discussion. I truly dont think people have looked at his numbers, the past two seasons  combined. You don't trade that until his arm or leg falls off, sorry. 

Blow the whole darn thing up...how many SB has A-Aron won? 1. How many NFC championships has he been in? 2 

trade em both get Carr/4 1st round picks from Oakland for Wentz 

trade foles for 2 twos to Jacksonville 

carr will stink we get another High 1st in 2020 

28 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

Blow the whole darn thing up...how many SB has A-Aron won? 1. How many NFC championships has he been in? 2 

trade em both get Carr/4 1st round picks from Oakland for Wentz 

trade foles for 2 twos to Jacksonville 

carr will stink we get another High 1st in 2020 

Well, how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? That’s right! Trade the wood for 5 1sts, Chuck for a few 3rds and a bowl of spaghetti. The entire woodchuck for at least a whole draft and then do The hokey pokey and turn yourself a round and........BAM Super Bowl!!!

Wentz is the future.  Nick Foles can be a starter somewhere else, but this has been a classic example of QB's getting too much credit, and too much of the blame.

The biggest difference I saw near the end of the year was the defense playing better.  Rasul Douglas and Avonte Maddox deserve to start next year.  They improved majorly over the end of the season.

The thing that needs to improve the most next year is the run game which had a huge dropoff during Wentz's MVP caliber season.

23 minutes ago, JayWood2010 said:

Wentz is the future.  Nick Foles can be a starter somewhere else, but this has been a classic example of QB's getting too much credit, and too much of the blame.

The biggest difference I saw near the end of the year was the defense playing better.  Rasul Douglas and Avonte Maddox deserve to start next year.  They improved majorly over the end of the season.

The thing that needs to improve the most next year is a commitment to the run game which had a huge dropoff during Wentz's MVP caliber season.

FIFY. RPOs and PA doesn't work if you don't run it...

To be fair, we had significant depth and personnel issues at RB. I think our run game looks a lot better with healthy Ajayi and Clement. Sproles just doesn't have "it" anymore on a consistent basis, and Smallwood and Adams are meh type players.

17 minutes ago, Phire said:

To be fair, we had significant depth and personnel issues at RB. I think our run game looks a lot better with healthy Ajayi and Clement. Sproles just doesn't have "it" anymore on a consistent basis, and Smallwood and Adams are meh type players.

Also add we started Seumalo instead of the Wiz (good/bad?). Peters and Johnson were dinged. I still think Adams could be good. Clement eh he didn't show me anything when called upon to tote it...Smallwood is a 3rd stringer for sure

I'm still at war with the fact that DougieP was quick to abandon the run when things got tight...

1 hour ago, nlesthought said:

FIFY. RPOs and PA doesn't work if you don't run it...

Doug Pederson made more of a commitment to the run game at the end of the year regardless of production(one reason the offense looked a bit better).  It helped because it kept the defense off balance, but it can only do so much with little to no production.  Im not convinced Josh Adams or Ajayi is the answer.  The run game was good last year in large part because of Blount.  Remember how many times he broke off for big runs?  Now try and think to this year on how many big runs there was; Not many.

Eagles need to invest in a running back at some point.  

6 minutes ago, JayWood2010 said:

Doug Pederson made more of a commitment to the run game at the end of the year regardless of production(one reason the offense looked a bit better).  It helped because it kept the defense off balance, but it can only do so much with little to no production.  Im not convinced Josh Adams or Ajayi is the answer.  The run game was good last year in large part because of Blount.  Remember how many times he broke off for big runs?  Now try and think to this year on how many big runs there was; Not many.

I'll agree to an extent...I know most teams are lean towards the pass but the only game down the stretch that was truly balanced iyam was the 2nd Washington game. 

Dallas - no 

Rams pretty even overall but most of those carries came after we've built a lead (15 carries in the 2nd half). The lead came from LA being LA on the backend. 

Houston 25 rush attempts, 50 passes...

Washington 34/34 

2 hours ago, JayWood2010 said:

Wish Doug would  have remembered that in the most important  game of the season.

Eagles would  be playing this week had he not went full DTM.

2 minutes ago, jonu62882 said:

Honestly, even if we had won last night, I don't think we make it past the Rams.  The injuries were piling up too much for any team to bear.

It would've been hella tough...your post is pretty much what I said to my brother late last night...

Archived