Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Art_Vandalay

It's time to commit to Nick / What to do with Foles?

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

We can pick up his option and cut him if need be, I’m pretty sure. But that was the whole deal this offseason. Instead of trading him to a team he didn’t want to go to, out of respect, we kept him here. What would be different this off season? I doubt Howie or Lurie let that happen. They would just outright release him before we trade him to some team he’d rather not join. 

While I agree, why wouldn't  they do exactly that and at least try to trade him the team who wants him, even for peanuts?

My problem  is if we pick up the option there has to be a major cap hit and "that" could  be the determining  factor as to why we don't.  Otherwise  you try to sign and trade.

Then again maybe that hurts Nick with a long term contract to, so they won't?? Who knows. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

While I agree, why wouldn't  they do exactly that and at least try to trade him the team who wants him, even for peanuts?

My problem  is if we pick up the option there has to be a major cap hit and "that" could  be the determining  factor as to why we don't.  Otherwise  you try to sign and trade.

Then again maybe that hurts Nick with a long term contract to, so they won't?? Who knows. 

The problem with the first question is that the FO respects Nick too much to ship him off to any old team just for “peanuts.” Hell, even for a haul I’m not sure they’d have the stones to trade him to a team they know he doesn’t want to go to. 

If we pick up the option it would be just to keep him on the roster to trade him. No way we pick up a $20M, 1 year contract and sit the guy. There would be no cap penalty for trading him however. So, we’d use the option in order to retain and use him for a trade. And also, it is a MUTUAL option. So, he’d have to want to come back as well which I’m not sure if that’s what he’d want to sign up for knowing he’d just likely be traded. Knowing all that he’d just decline the option and hit FA and choose his destination. But also as well, in order for us to stop that, we could decline the option, tag him and then trade him. Taking the control out of his hands. And if there are no suitors or no team that fits, he can just be released before he signs the tag.  So, we’re going to have the option to doing what we want with him.

Im sure any team trading any decent assets for him will want, at the very least, a three year contract. 

There’s a decent article explaining some of it. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn.com/blog/philadelphia-eagles/post/_/id/26717/nick-foles-future-the-contract-potential-suitors-and-more%3fplatform=amp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

The problem with the first question is that the FO respects Nick too much to ship him off to any old team just for “peanuts.” Hell, even for a haul I’m not sure they’d have the stones to trade him to a team they know he doesn’t want to go to. 

When I say peanuts its actually Howie taking less so Nick Can Choose his team, basically as a FA but technically being under contract as a Eagle.

Wants to go to Jax , we get a 4th or 6th rather then shipping him to NYJ because they offered a 2nd.

In the end this is a business regardless of any admiration. 

 

Edited by Nabbs4u

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

giving up on wentz would be the greatest mistake ever made by a franchise eveeerrrrr.

On 25.12.2018 at 3:07 AM, Nabbs4u said:

Nope, because  neither matters right now. He's  not the QBOTF for the Philadelphia  Eagles. 

However what he is doing is writing a ticket to whatever  team wants to pay the piper.

I'm curious IF/HOW we can get anything via trade? Do we dare pick up his option? Isn't it 20M? Or something  crazy like that?

if we dont pick up his option, does count for the comp pick formula?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

When I say peanuts its actually Howie taking less so Nick Can Choose his team, basically as a FA but technically being under contract as a Eagle.

Wants to go to Jax , we get a 4th or 6th rather then shipping him to NYJ because they offered a 2nd.

In the end this is a business regardless of any admiration. 

 

While I’d agree 99 times out of 100, this is Nick Foles here. SBMVP here. First QB in franchise history to bring it home. Jeff is way too sentimental and emotional to ship Foles off to a franchise they know he doesn’t want to go. It’s the reason he wasn’t traded this previous offseason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

While I’d agree 99 times out of 100, this is Nick Foles here. SBMVP here. First QB in franchise history to bring it home. Jeff is way too sentimental and emotional to ship Foles off to a franchise they know he doesn’t want to go. It’s the reason he wasn’t traded this previous offseason. 

Think something  getting  lost in translation?. I'm in no way suggesting  we ship Nick to the highest bidder  but we can get something,  anything via trade to a team of his choosing. 4th, 5th, 6th, whatever.

That's all I'm saying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

While I’d agree 99 times out of 100, this is Nick Foles here. SBMVP here. First QB in franchise history to bring it home. Jeff is way too sentimental and emotional to ship Foles off to a franchise they know he doesn’t want to go. It’s the reason he wasn’t traded this previous offseason. 

No, he wasn't traded this season because they knew wentz wouldn't be back for week one, which he wasnt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, N4L said:

No, he wasn't traded this season because they knew wentz wouldn't be back for week one, which he wasnt

Not entirely. Sure, they held him out of two games because they were being overly cautious, for good reason. But they had an offer on the table and left it up to Nick to determine whether they pulled the trigger. If the Eagles were trying to move him, without regard to his feelings or wants, something they did out of extreme respect for his talents and previous accomplishment, they wouldn’t have even mentioned it. When does that happen in sports? Maybe when they guy delivers a holy grail type feat to a championship starved city, owner and fan base. 

According to an NFL.com report, the Cleveland Browns offered the 35th overall pick in this year's draft to the Eagles for Foles. But when they asked the Super Bowl LII MVP about it, he told them he'd rather stay in Philadelphia and back up starter Carson Wentz.”

It wasn’t all about Wentz. Since Chip Kelly, Lurie has been more in touch with the players as people and humans rather than just assets. It’s been highly documented. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Think something  getting  lost in translation?. I'm in no way suggesting  we ship Nick to the highest bidder  but we can get something,  anything via trade to a team of his choosing. 4th, 5th, 6th, whatever.

That's all I'm saying. 

You mention it being a business at the end of the day. And I agree. But also, this is the rare exception. Lurie respects Nick too much for what he’s done to pimp him out. What I’m saying is, that even if it comes down to the midnight hour and the deal doesn’t make sense for Nick, Jeff would rather let him walk for nothing and let him have his own choice. I don’t see a way that a potential team, knowing that Nick would only move to a team he’s interested in, would offer a market deal for him. What dumbass GM would give up a 1st, 2nd, whatever for a guy they know would likely come there when he’s released anyway? 

Basically, if a suitor comes knocking and if the Eagles are negotiating, that means Nick is interested. Which also means the Eagles lose bargaining power. The trading team will come in as low as possible and the Eagles would only have to take whatever is offered most likely. Going through the league, there’s only so many options that Nick would go to. It would have to be some kind of a perfect scenario for us to get max value that would please the FO and also please Nick. Just don’t see it happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happen to Howie the Great...isn't he able to finagle decent compensation from teams? Or has the Tate trade soured our expectations? 

If the Pats were exploited first round and the Pats came calling. I'm sure he'd be interested. Nick wants whats best for his family and himself as a player. He was smart saying no to Cleveland. He knew he'd be a place setter for a crummy org. I personally don't think there were any other real offers. Teams aren't giving up assets when they can sign a player in FA or draft and mold. 

I'm happy Nicky is still here. I agree with Art though in the sense that Carson has shown he isn't the most durable whether through style of play or just misfortune. We can't keep resigning Nicky for an absurd amount to be a back up. I will say Foles has a certain vibe running this offense more so than Carson. I'm still seeing the RPOs and the PA from under center. The key difference is Nick plays as if he's playing with house money. Carson plays as if he better be in the green going back home. Carson's security blanket has balled out but teams will start to bracket him. He's got to trust his WRs downfield and he's got to be willing to throw it. Don't forget he's got to throw it better as well. Passes beyond 20yds seem to be inaccurate   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in every year I knew carson wentz has been alive he has broken a wrist, broken his ribs, tore two ligaments and broken his back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:30 AM, Jroc04 said:

We can pick up his option and cut him if need be, I’m pretty sure. But that was the whole deal this offseason. Instead of trading him to a team he didn’t want to go to, out of respect, we kept him here. What would be different this off season? I doubt Howie or Lurie let that happen. They would just outright release him before we trade him to some team he’d rather not join. 

The after sex glow isn't there this off season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2018 at 3:22 PM, jonu62882 said:

Cmon, Art!  Be better than this! 

Be better than NFL Gen!  Be better than NFL Gen!

I guess I'm blinded by all the winning and bling Foles brought to the city. Also, his ability to not shatter when getting hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

The after sex glow isn't there this off season.

But the BDN marathon hasn’t ended yet. Who knows if his magic continues again and we’re left strewn across the bed ravaged with pleasure again. If that’s the case, Jeff may as well just put him in the will. 

But seriously, I doubt very much Jeff will forget so soon. Any deal will be run passed Nick first. It would take some ridiculous deal for the FO to ignore Nick’s wishes. And even then, the guy can just retire if he’s that unhappy. What else does he need? And honestly, I think Nick would be just as happy signing a good backup deal to stick around. Whether the Eagles or Carson would want that is another story. But, IMO, the prospect of the Eagles trading Nick for anything is slim. It would really take the perfect scenario. Tampa maybe? Nick has a college coach there. Not sure anything else fits him the way he needs it to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×