Leonard Williams

jetsfan4life51

This guy needs to go.  He has not lived up to expectations and he's an undisciplined player.  He grew up under Mo and Sheldon, not the best role models.  At least they put up numbers or would have games they dominate.  I can't think of too many times in Leo's career he has taken over a game.  I would love to grab a 2nd round pick back for him, or even a high 3rd.  Between needing picks and his potential attitude/discipline, we need to fully change the locker room.  Plus he loves Bowles and anyone who backs Bowles is an idiot.

I'll agree that he hasn't played as well as we'd hoped, but by no means is he an undisciplined player. Yesterday was extremely out of character for him, let's not forget he was the one who kept Darron Lee out of trouble, at a party a while back. Every report that has come out about him has said he's a great locker room guy and a great role model. 

I would still trade him for the right return but I'd also like to see how he performs in a different system, and a legit edge rusher playing with him.

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

This guy needs to go.  He has not lived up to expectations and he's an undisciplined player.  He grew up under Mo and Sheldon, not the best role models.  At least they put up numbers or would have games they dominate.  I can't think of too many times in Leo's career he has taken over a game.  I would love to grab a 2nd round pick back for him, or even a high 3rd.  Between needing picks and his potential attitude/discipline, we need to fully change the locker room.  Plus he loves Bowles and anyone who backs Bowles is an idiot.

Im spur on him too. I’m for trading him, but nothing less than a high 2nd. If we can’t get that... then keep him. My bigger issue is ya not paying him like a top DLineman after next season. He isn’t worth a franchise tag or a big contract as of now.

Sometimes the takes on here are mind-boggling. The guy supports his HC and is one of the best leaders on the team, but makes an uncharacteristic mistake and he's trash? 

Leonard Williams is one of the best every down defensive lineman in football and is 24 years old. If it weren't for yesterday's ejection, he'd be just behind Aaron Donald in total snaps. He gets criticized because he's not Donald or Watt, which is totally unreasonable, but he's a great player. Improve the scheme and add some edge talent and as he improves, you'll see increased production on the stat sheet. 

If the Jets were to trade him, your not doing so anything short a 1st round pick in return. Otherwise totally dumb decision. 

I have said enough about Williams all season. The man is a defensive tackle playing defensive end. If they put him at DT he will be a all pro player. He doesn't have the moves to be a DE. The guy is so freaking powerful and a bull rusher he will bring tremendous pressure up the middle, also he will be a great run stopper. The man has talent but our brain dead coaching is not using him right. I say keep him, just change his position.

25 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

He’s a solid player to me. I’d look to re sign him for that kind of value. If he wants to be paid like a superstar then he can walk.

But again, there's plenty of time for that. People are acting like we need to make a decision now. For all intents and purposes can have him under team control for another 3 seasons without signing him to an extension while maintaining strong cap flexibility. 

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

I have said enough about Williams all season. The man is a defensive tackle playing defensive end. If they put him at DT he will be a all pro player. He doesn't have the moves to be a DE. The guy is so freaking powerful and a bull rusher he will bring tremendous pressure up the middle, also he will be a great run stopper. The man has talent but our brain dead coaching is not using him right. I say keep him, just change his position.

He tossed a strong guard like Quenton Nelson on his back. 

I agree, if we switch to a 4-3, he will be much more disruptive. 

15 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

He tossed a strong guard like Quenton Nelson on his back. 

I agree, if we switch to a 4-3, he will be much more disruptive. 

It's not even the way he's used. I just think the  Jets fail to consistently put their best players in a position to succeed. They always have had a tendency to use their best defenders (Sheldon and Leo) in a way to open up plays for others... not saying that Leo necessarily demands double teams, but our defense is predictable and offenses are able to scheme plays away from him. It's exactly why you've seen a dip of TFL from him, because teams no longer run his way.

If you want to get the most out of your players, you need to keep them engaged. Otherwise, it's inevitable production will dip. Imo, the Jets simply lost their creativity on defense and that is the main reason why there has been less stellar play. I don't know the reason for it... we were one of the most creative defenses in the league back in 2015 and have simply lost it. Likely ties back to Kacy Rogers taking over play-calling, but it's alarming. We're good down-to-down but somewhat complacent and lack aggression as a defensive unit. That falls on Bowles. 

... Dk where this Leo hate comes from our defense was clearly worse after he was pulled from the game ... his loss clearly showed. 

For all the people who want us to draft and grow talent can't fathom why they wouldn't want to keep Leo around

13 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

But again, there's plenty of time for that. People are acting like we need to make a decision now. For all intents and purposes can have him under team control for another 3 seasons without signing him to an extension while maintaining strong cap flexibility. 

He’s technically getting paid like a star starting next year though. And if we kept him with tags after that... he’s really getting paid like a star.

You want to trade him for a high 2nd or low 1st, then I can understand. Williams is still a highly productive player, and if you think it isn't going to leave a void on that D-line, then he is clearly being undervalued. Also he is way more high character than being stated. In no way is he anything like Mo. Not against trading him, but letting him walk is a major step backwards. 

Archived