Please Stop the Jimmy Graham Disgruntlement Thread

MacReady

2 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Jimmy Graham:
52 rec / 615 yards / 11.8 avg / 2 TD / 54 Long

Eric Ebron:
62 rec / 690 yards  / 11.1 avg / 12 TD / 53 Long

Only one real difference

That's a heck of a difference my friend. Jimmy had 10 TDs last year, that's where he's got to be making his impact. Dude is 6'7 270 lbs, he should be DOMINATING in the RZ. Again, think his thumb is holding him back in that department more than we know but he's gotta catch more than 2 TDs and dominate more 1-on-1 matchups at that size.

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

You mean the one that wins or losses game? Oh, there is also the one small detail that Ebron makes about half what Graham is being paid. 

That's a misrepresentation.  Ebron averages $8M and Jimmy is $10M.

Just now, Golfman said:

You mean the one that wins or losses game? Oh, there is also the one small detail that Ebron makes about half what Graham is being paid. 

You can be mad about Jimmy disappearing in the RZ all you want. It's a legit gripe, I guess. 

Just saying there's a bigger difference between TY Hilton and Davante in the RZ than Jimmy Graham and Ebron.
Have to think Ebron is the #1 option close to the end zone for Indy. That's not really the case for Green Bay. 

1 minute ago, Fl0nkerton said:

You can be mad about Jimmy disappearing in the RZ all you want. It's a legit gripe, I guess. 

Just saying there's a bigger difference between TY Hilton and Davante in the RZ than Jimmy Graham and Ebron.
Have to think Ebron is the #1 option close to the end zone for Indy. That's not really the case for Green Bay. 

Fair point! 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

Ebron got a 2 year deal with a max payout of 13.5, or 6.75 per year. 

No.  I was off by $1M over two years:

Colts Sign Former Lions First-Round Pick Eric Ebron. The deal is reportedly for two years and $15 million. The Colts have signed former Lions tight end Eric Ebron, the team announced Monday. The deal is for two years and up to $15 million, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports.Mar 19, 2018

1 minute ago, Cpdaly23 said:

In Graham’s defense, Rodgers hasn’t thrown him a good ball on any of his 1v1 box out chances all season.  

Gotta roll with him next year- draft a TE early, and groom the rookie for 2020.

Not wrong, Rodgers hasn't been sharp in that department. Agreed on 2nd part, especially considering how strong this rookie TE class looks on paper.

1 minute ago, Dubz41 said:

No.  I was off by $1M over two years:

Colts Sign Former Lions First-Round Pick Eric Ebron. The deal is reportedly for two years and $15 million. The Colts have signed former Lions tight end Eric Ebron, the team announced Monday. The deal is for two years and up to $15 million, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports.Mar 19, 2018

According to 'over the cap', he's making 6.75 in 2018 and 2019. Not sure what source is correct. Ebron is what, 27 now? I'm not trying to go hindsight as I wouldn't have touched him in the off season. I didn't want Graham in the off season either. 

I want the position addressed in the draft. If that means Graham comes back for another year, so be it. I think his productivity will go down next year being a year older with our WR's a year more experienced. 

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Cost in free agency is a supply and demand thing.  It's why pass rushers get overpaid every single time.  There aren't a lot of pass rushers available in this league, so the demand is through the roof, which brings up the price. 

Jimmy Graham, on paper, was the best tight end available.  Burton was a 4 year pro without much production at all.  Ebron had a bust label.  Jimmy Graham had a Hall of Fame resume and came off a 10 TD season.

The price we paid for Graham falls perfectly in line with the supply and demand of tight ends in last year's free agency. 

As far as going forward, we have to stick to what we did. 

Therefore, releasing Graham and losing his production to save 5 million dollars is not worth it because:

A. Graham's value compared to 5 million in savings is worth keeping.
B. We aren't getting better production at TE for 5 million dollars. 

Ebron was voted into the Pro Bowl, right?  I understand your explanation, thanks.  

14 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

In Graham’s defense, Rodgers hasn’t thrown him a good ball on any of his 1v1 box out chances all season.  

Gotta roll with him next year- draft a TE early, and groom the rookie for 2020.

Agreed, but I would add a young TE free agent like Jesse James of the Steelers as well.

Archived