Please Stop the Jimmy Graham Disgruntlement Thread

MacReady

5 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

By this logic we should trade Aaron Rodgers for Nate Mullens.  If you factor in cost, Nate Mullens is at least twice the QB Rodgers is. 

When will people stop using cost as some sort of way to suggest skill?

It doesn't make sense. 

We could have probably had the same record with Mullens and whatever free agents we get to pick with hindsight though lol so yes?

Anyone with 2 eyes knows Grahm is an overpaid shell of his former self.

The point is it doesn’t matter that he’s top whatever in yards for a TE. He is being paid to be a wide out (he’s even argued he’s one in the past). He was brought in to make an impact in the passing game. He’s been inconsistent, and 58th in yards, making 10m doing so. You could argue that the passing game would have gotten to a similar net spot rehashing Jordy and Richard Rodgers another year.

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

By this logic we should trade Aaron Rodgers for Nate Mullens.  If you factor in cost, Nate Mullens is at least twice the QB Rodgers is. 

When will people stop using cost as some sort of way to suggest skill?

It doesn't make sense. 

Using Mullens vs Rodgers doesn't help your argument. 

For me it isn't his salary that is against him.  Graham just isn't the player he once was.  However, I'd keep him around in 2019 unless we can find a better replacement.

19 hours ago, packfanfb said:

It's also the same reason I wouldnt pay Jimmy Graham that same money in 2019. I'd move on

Sunk cost vs opportunity cost - we shouldn't keep him on the roster just because he's on the roster; however, what's out there to replace him? He's OK, an upgrade on Rodgers or Kendricks (probably not on Cook but Cook probably isn't going anywhere*)....where can you look at TEs and say "THAT guy is obviously an upgrade!"? College TEs generally take a year or two to develop. If Graham's salary isn't standing in the way of GB improving the roster anywhere, I say hang onto him. If he is, cut bait. 

* one is never sure what's coming next with Gruden

33 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Sunk cost vs opportunity cost - we shouldn't keep him on the roster just because he's on the roster; however, what's out there to replace him? He's OK, an upgrade on Rodgers or Kendricks (probably not on Cook but Cook probably isn't going anywhere*)....where can you look at TEs and say "THAT guy is obviously an upgrade!"? College TEs generally take a year or two to develop. If Graham's salary isn't standing in the way of GB improving the roster anywhere, I say hang onto him. If he is, cut bait. 

* one is never sure what's coming next with Gruden

Yes,  unless we find a better one in FA Graham should be back.  I hope we draft a TE in the middle rounds this year and groom him behind Jimmy in 2019.

15 hours ago, Acrid Josher said:

If you're the kinda person that bangs the table for free agency and you also think the Jimmy Graham signing was a bust you have a wildly unrealistic idea of free agency.

Being that I"m not the kind of guy who bangs the table for free agency what does that mean? 

I believe in this league you have to earn your keep. He's the top paid TE, and didn't live up to his paycheck. Before you go talking about Rodgers, I was one of a few posters on another sight who was down for trading him last year and robbing Cleveland blind before the draft. It could have happened, no question about it.

Now, I'm perfectly fine with Rodgers contract (sort of) and believe he's going to bounce back because his position is dependent upon his arm, not his legs as much. His arm is fine, Graham's legs are not. Being another year older is not going to help his legs. 

Archived