Tom Savage formally named starting QB

ET80

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000833319/article/obrien-reaffirms-tom-savage-is-texans-starting-qb

I know we have a few threads going over this, but this seems like a topic worthy to start up a new thread. Straight from the dimple in that chin, O'Brien states that Tom Savage is the starting QB.

Your thoughts? Was it even a competition to begin with? How are your expectations following this? Does Deshaun Watson see the field this season? What happens if Savage comes out and plays like a franchise QB?

I said from the start I expected Savage to be our starter. The 1st pre season game made it a closer call, but this always seemed the best option to me.

If Savage plays like a franchise QB we win the Super Bowl. We probably tag him and if he plays well again we are in a situation the Chargers found themselves in several years ago with Brees and Rivers. Definitely worse problems to have than that.

I never expected anything less than for BOB to screw our QB situation up. I mean he's done it 3 straight years now. 

And naming savage is a huge screw up. Whether he fails or succeeds it's a screw up. Either we burned draft picks to get Watson when Savage was the guy all along or BOB, as he has proven, doesn't know what he's doing at QB and Watson has to come in and misses valuable experience. 

I cant wait for BOB to be gone. Every year is the same garbage. What a joke. 

Does this team make the AFCCG every year with prime-Schaub? Can Savage be as good as a Matt Schaub was? 

Also random question, would you trade Clowney for a Garrapolo? Obviously too late this season and doesn't seem the Pats are willing to listen to many offers but that would surely have to make them stop and wonder.

5 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Does this team make the AFCCG every year with prime-Schaub? Can Savage be as good as a Matt Schaub was? 

Also random question, would you trade Clowney for a Garrapolo? Obviously too late this season and doesn't seem the Pats are willing to listen to many offers but that would surely have to make them stop and wonder.

After watching Jimmy G in the preseason game last Saturday, no chance in hell do I trade anything for him. Maybe a 7th in 2019. He was clearly overmatched against our 2nd team defense.

I get it with the 2-1 record during the Brady suspension, but given a few looks at him in the joint practices, we were able to figure him out. No thanks.

Savage can be as good as prime Schaub (or close to it) but the same concern with injuries is present. I think the Savage era comes to a quick end, and it's got nothing to do with Watson - Savage gets hurt a lot.

16 hours ago, amazingandre said:

Savage did nothing to lose the job, therefore he earned it.

Pretty much my thoughts. 

I see Savage as a low ceiling, high floor type of guy. He won't win us games but he shouldn't lose us any either. 

Watson is obviously our QB of the future.

Hope BOB knows what he's doing, he can't afford another sub-par year. 

3 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

After watching Jimmy G in the preseason game last Saturday, no chance in hell do I trade anything for him. Maybe a 7th in 2019. He was clearly overmatched against our 2nd team defense.

I get it with the 2-1 record during the Brady suspension, but given a few looks at him in the joint practices, we were able to figure him out. No thanks.

Savage can be as good as prime Schaub (or close to it) but the same concern with injuries is present. I think the Savage era comes to a quick end, and it's got nothing to do with Watson - Savage gets hurt a lot.

Schaub was the product of being a good fit and having a great QB coach who could mold him into the system. BOB is not that QB coach who can take an average guy like a Schaub or Savage and create a system that allows them to play at a pro bowl level. 

fun fact, The top 5 Texans all time leading passers

Matt Schaub - 22,221

David Carr - 13,391

Sage Rosenfels 3,380

Brock Osweiler 2,957

Brian Hoyer 2,606

so basically if we could just have an average QB for 16 games they would become the texans 3rd all time leading passer in one season

58 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Schaub was the product of being a good fit and having a great QB coach who could mold him into the system. BOB is not that QB coach who can take an average guy like a Schaub or Savage and create a system that allows them to play at a pro bowl level

That's some revisionist history if I've ever seen it.

Kubiak a great QB coach? His system was overly static, with zero opportunity to make changes at the line. He had a top 5 RB to lean on as well as the best WR in the game during his tenure here. He was also playing from behind up until 2011 (when we finally got a non-Frank Bush or non-Richard Smith led defense) so the gaudy fantasy numbers we like to use in debates are tainted a bit.

I get it that BOB isn't really liked here (never mind he has yet to have a losing season as the HC of this team) and he hasn't taken an "average" guy and turned him loose - but he HAS taken a slew of below average guys and turned out winning seasons, while getting some average production out of them.

I think the W/L argument of why O'Brien is a good coach is overstated too much. Being 9-7 3 straight years in the worst division in the league is nothing to brag about. I'm pretty sure we could hire Jeff Fisher during those 3 years and we would be 9-7. I think the reason people don't like O'Brien is that his offense is boring and it has gotten worse all 3 years he has been here. (I know Brock was the QB last year). As much as we rag on Kubiak, he at least made the offense entertaining to watch despite his conservatism.

2 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I think the W/L argument of why O'Brien is a good coach is overstated too much. Being 9-7 3 straight years in the worst division in the league is nothing to brag about.

You can only play the teams that are in front of you. 11-1 in the division is exactly what you want out of a coach, regardless of the level of competition. Don't over think it is my thought on it.

4 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I think the reason people don't like O'Brien is that his offense is boring and it has gotten worse all 3 years he has been here. (I know Brock was the QB last year). As much as we rag on Kubiak, he at least made the offense entertaining to watch despite his conservatism.

Chalk me up in th minority then; An "exciting" offense doesn't exist for me because I'm interested in winning football games. I'm more interested in the end result vs the entertainment. Peyton Manning ran an exciting offense. Tom Brady ran an efficient offense. Which would you rather have?

Also - I'd say that Hopkins with 115 grabs and 1,500 plus yards two years ago qualifies as "exciting". The three 100 yard performances from the Will Fuller debut was very "exciting". 

It's there, IMO. Not as frequent as Schaub putting up tons of yards in the 4th quarter against prevent defenses, but it's there.

8 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Meanwhile Kiser just beat out Oswiler who our front office annointed a franchise QB and whom out coaching staff thought was better than Savage......What a joke. 

Let's not pretend that we know what we have in Tom Savage. He's played exactly 8 quarters worth of Regular Season football, and looked fairly underwhelming in that time.

It's possible he IS worse than Osweiler.

Archived