Tom Savage formally named starting QB

ET80

without going back into the endless cycle of debate on what we should be doing, what are the odds if Savage Struggles week 1 and week 2 that we make the change when get the 10 days off between week 2 and week 3? Or is that going to be too small a sample size for Savage? would we need to lose both games or just have Savage play terribly? 

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

without going back into the endless cycle of debate on what we should be doing, what are the odds if Savage Struggles week 1 and week 2 that we make the change when get the 10 days off between week 2 and week 3? Or is that going to be too small a sample size for Savage? would we need to lose both games or just have Savage play terribly? 

I'd say week three would be the "make or break" week. If Savage struggles in W1, W2, he'll get a few extra days to regroup, but he has to show significant improvement to keep the starting job. If he doesn't, he's subject to be benched at half for Watson, and the offense will go into a very conservative "run first" approach.

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

if we start 0-3 I hope O'Brien makes the change. Fans definitely will be clamoring for Watson to get in the game when we play the Titans at home. 

I cant say I see us losing to the Jags or the Bengals (maybe) even if we honestly think Savage is "Brock but a little bit better". Brock sucked, but we still won games last year

Savage would have to start being Bortles level before OB to can him. Even then, I dont think he's gonna put watson on the field if he isn't ready to be a starter.

5 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

The bengals game is a road prime time game. We are gonna lose. The question is can we beat the Jags to avoid the 0-2 start

It IS against the Bengals. Last primetime game we won was against them (Christmas Eve last season) on the road, no less. They're more or less exempt from the primetime rule.

9 hours ago, tab said:

I cant say I see us losing to the Jags or the Bengals (maybe) even if we honestly think Savage is "Brock but a little bit better". Brock sucked, but we still won games last year

Savage would have to start being Bortles level before OB to can him. Even then, I dont think he's gonna put watson on the field if he isn't ready to be a starter.

I can see us losing to the Bengals. I know we have their number, but I think the Bengals will be much improved. This is the most talent they have had on offense since we have played them during that span.

50 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I can see us losing to the Bengals. I know we have their number, but I think the Bengals will be much improved. This is the most talent they have had on offense since we have played them during that span.

The Bengals lost a lot of their OL - I get it they've improved at spots, but the one thing we can exploit is still there. Andy Dalton should be running for his life.

I don't think our win loss record will play a role in Savage getting benched. I do think he has a high risk of being injured by the Pats game, but if he stays healthy, he won't make it to the bye week. I am just not sold on his ability to lead our team. He has never been the guy anywhere he has gone. He is just meh at everything. I think we start out strong by the Jags, but could see us losing the next two weeks and p[potentially seeing Watson come in week 4. 

4 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Overall, the Texans are 3-7 on Sunday Night Football, 2-6 on Thursday/Saturday Night Football and 4-7 on Monday Night Football.

The curse is real

Legit question though because I haven't looked. How many games were we favored? How many did we go in saying there is at least say a 45% chance of winning.

Like I feel a lot of our prime time games are because of the other team, not us. We were kind of along for the ride.

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

Legit question though because I haven't looked. How many games were we favored? How many did we go in saying there is at least say a 45% chance of winning.

Like I feel a lot of our prime time games are because of the other team, not us. We were kind of along for the ride.

I don't have the numbers but it seems like we've had high hopes for the game a lot. The pats were down to the 3rd strung QB and smoked us

I feel like if we had Duane Brown and Derek Newton out there at the Tackles, Savage would make us legitimate Superbowl contenders, but being as our starting tackles are Kendall Lamm and Chris Clark, I think sooner or later Savage's tendency to hold on to the ball will lead to his benching in favor of Watson, the superior improviser. 

Archived