Tom Savage formally named starting QB

ET80

6 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I'm sorry but 3 straight years of being 9-7 screams mediocre to me.  I like to build on success, not maintain the same results. 

We gave Kubiak more rope with less results - a 6-10 season, followed up by three straight 8-8 seasons, then ANOTHER 6-10 season before two winning seasons. Not a single playoff berth in that timeframe.

O'Brien has done just as much in three years as Kubiak did in eight. It hasn't been pretty, but the job has been done, no?

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Russell Wilson

RG3

Andrew Luck

Andy Dalton

Mark Sanchez

Joe Flacco

Matt Ryan

Big Ben

Dak Prescot

8 rookies in the last 8 years have led thier team to the playoffs, that's a pretty good list 

And we don't know what we got in Watson. We don't know if he's a Wilson or an RG3.

Why rush it if we have a team that can get there with Savage? I'm not a great fan of Savage, but it's not the worst thing in the world.

8 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

We gave Kubiak more rope with less results - a 6-10 season, followed up by three straight 8-8 seasons, then ANOTHER 6-10 season before two winning seasons. Not a single playoff berth in that timeframe.

O'Brien has done just as much in three years as Kubiak did in eight. It hasn't been pretty, but the job has been done, no?

We gave Kubiak the same flack as well that made him and Rick Smith make changes. The season after 6-10 we forced them to upgrade the defense and hire a guy like Wade Phillips. You cant really compare the 2-14 seasons each HC inherited either. When Kubiak went 6-10 year 1 our team was in way worse shape the previous season compare to the team O'Brien inherited.

It wasn't 3 straight 8-8 seasons, it was 2, then he went 9-7, and the AFC South was much better back then than it is currently.

1 minute ago, Texansfan713 said:

We gave Kubiak the same flack as well that made him and Rick Smith make changes. The season after 6-10 we forced them to upgrade the defense and hire a guy like Wade Phillips. You cant really compare the 2-14 seasons each inherit either. When Kubiak went 6-10 year 1 our team was in way worse shape the previous season compare to the team O'Brien inherited.

It wasn't 3 straight 8-8 seasons, it was 2, then he went 9-7.

To make changes - not to fire him. Subtle difference.

Just now, EliteTexan80 said:

To make changes - not to fire him. Subtle difference.

True, but O'Brien hasn't made changes to his staff other than letting Godsey go.  I said it from the get go, O'Brien's best decision he has made as hc is hiring RAC. Without RAC O'Brien would be exposed. 

10 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

You cant really compare the 2-14 seasons each inherit either

As I told @Pastor Dillon, I think we really underestimate how bad that 2-14 season was. One of only three teams to lose 14 games in a row this century, needed a walk off FG from Randy Bullock to beat San Diego, needed a walk off TD from Hopkins to beat Tennessee. 

Two plays is what separated that team from an 0-16 season.

1 minute ago, Texansfan713 said:

True, but O'Brien hasn't made changes to his staff other than letting Godsey go.  I said it from the get go, O'Brien's best decision he has made as hc is hiring RAC. Without RAC O'Brien would be exposed. 

Probably the biggest job a coach has is to hire and delegate to his staff - RAC was widely considered to be a failure after his KC and Cleveland stints, and was out of coaching for two years. Vrabel was an unknown commodity to that point.

What BOB did is the defensive equivalent of what Kubiak did - bring in experts for one side of the ball (Shanahan/Gibbs for Kubiak, RAC/Vrabel for BOB) and hired his golfing buddies on the other side of the ball (Richard Smith/Frank Bush for Kubiak, Godsey for BOB).

On 24/08/2017 at 4:17 PM, EliteTexan80 said:

As I told @Pastor Dillon, I think we really underestimate how bad that 2-14 season was. One of only three teams to lose 14 games in a row this century, needed a walk off FG from Randy Bullock to beat San Diego, needed a walk off TD from Hopkins to beat Tennessee. 

The season was dreadful agreed, but the team was better than the one Kubiak inherited. It was still essentially the 12-4 side from 2012 just with infinitely poorer QB play and injuries all over. Oh and Ed Reed. 

On 8/24/2017 at 10:17 AM, EliteTexan80 said:

And like 8 plays separated us from 10-6

heres the difference between savage and Watson. Savage won't lose us game. Watson will win us games. Big difference. 

5 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

And like 8 plays separated us from 10-6

That's mathmatically impossible. I know you're trying to make a point, but I'm being literal - it was two plays.

5 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

heres the difference between savage and Watson. Savage won't lose us game. Watson will win us games. Big difference. 

And how do we know Watson will "win us" games? His most impressive game as a pro is a game we lost. 

I still remember that Seahawks game during that season. I don't think I've ever seen a game gifted on a silver platter like that.

That said, I definitely think O'Brien is underrated. And while I don't expect Savage to do much, I'm not exactly surprised at the result that he's the starter. All told, O'Brien's shown a generally quick hand at being willing to yank someone for underperforming, which, you might argue, might not be the best if it shakes player's confidence, but I prefer that to Kubiak keeping Schaub in that season when something clearly had gone wrong with him.

15 hours ago, texans_uk said:

The season was dreadful agreed, but the team was better than the one Kubiak inherited. It was still essentially the 12-4 side from 2012 just with infinitely poorer QB play and injuries all over. Oh and Ed Reed. 

I'm going to stress - 14 consecutive losses. I don't think people grasp how hard that is to do.

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Watson is much better suited for poor oline play

It's not about who is suited for what - we've seen athlete QBs thrown behind bad OLs several times, and each time, they got murdered and usually never recovered. 

Can you stop just looking at this season and see this as a 5-10 year investment? Today proved he's nowhere near ready. He made some bad decisions and looked every part the rookie back there. Why rush him in? Did we not learn the first time with Carr?

Mind you - I am pro Watson, but you start him now, you're letting him walk in four years.

Archived