Tom Savage formally named starting QB

ET80

14 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Apples to oranges. We never got the chance to see what Watson would do with the starters. A true competition would have given Watson a start in week 2

We saw him complete 50% against backups. That's pretty telling in itself.

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

If you go back and watch, especially the 1st game, guys were dropping passes like crazy. 

the WR corp for week 1 could be really thin. We might be without Fuller, Strong and Miller week 1. It will be Nuk and whoever our 5th WR ends up being. Ervin will probably have to play the slot. 

Bogus. I broke down his film and those first two games were a mix of drops and poor routes run. He did have 1-2 poor passes each week, but he isn't going to improve sitting on the bench. He needs to be playing.

Too much to quote from @amazingandre, @Pastor Dillon and @texans_uk so I'll sum it up like this:

In that same timeframe, Tom Savage was completing close to 85% of his passes (85.5% going into the Saints game, where he posted a 62% completion percentage). That was one game with Hopkins, but working with the same targets that Watson worked with (heavy doses of Strong, Anderson, Ellington, etc).

I want Watson to start as well, but my question remains - what has Savage done to lose the job? 

31 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Too much to quote from @amazingandre, @Pastor Dillon and @texans_uk so I'll sum it up like this:

In that same timeframe, Tom Savage was completing close to 85% of his passes (85.5% going into the Saints game, where he posted a 62% completion percentage). That was one game with Hopkins, but working with the same targets that Watson worked with (heavy doses of Strong, Anderson, Ellington, etc).

I want Watson to start as well, but my question remains - what has Savage done to lose the job? 

your question sums it all up, he was given the job and what has he done to lose the job? The answer might be nothing, but the truth is he hasnt done anything to win the job. Can we all agree that there was never a competition at QB?

85% would be impressive if they werent all check downs to wide open receivers. 

40 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

your question sums it all up, he was given the job and what has he done to lose the job? The answer might be nothing, but the truth is he hasnt done anything to win the job. Can we all agree that there was never a competition at QB?

85% would be impressive if they werent all check downs to wide open receivers. 

Never doubted there wasn't. Said it a few times, it would have taken a massive collapse from Savage and an incredible performance from Watson to even alter the balance. If the entire preseason was the first two drives in the Carolina game for Savage and the rest of the Carolina game for Watson, THEN maybe there's an argument.

Call em check downs to open guys, he made the plays needed. He converted on 3rd down, led scoring drives, threw a nice TD to Strong while being covered by one of the best cover guys in the league in Malcom Butler. I think he only had about tow bad drives in the entire preseason - the two opening Carolina drives, and the Saints game. He made some pretty big throws on his last drive in Carolina (converted a 3rd and long after a penalty, then another 3rd and medium which led to the Blue TD) and he looked very sharp in the Patriots game (that throw to Anderson while rolling out was exactly what you want in this league).

That level of improvement from the offense is enough to "win" the job. When was the last time we could claim to convert 3rd and long in any season - pre, regular or post?

I don't disagree with Savage starting, because I agree he has done nothing to lose his job. That doesn't negate the fact that Watson will not improve sitting on the bench.

And the difference in their stats could easily be pointed to the OL. The starting 5 are halfway decent, but the backups are pathetic. The guys Watson played with mostly will be cut today. Especially the interior, where most of the pressure came from.

11 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

I don't disagree with Savage starting, because I agree he has done nothing to lose his job. That doesn't negate the fact that Watson will not improve sitting on the bench.

And the difference in their stats could easily be pointed to the OL. The starting 5 are halfway decent, but the backups are pathetic. The guys Watson played with mostly will be cut today. Especially the interior, where most of the pressure came from.

I can concede some of the OL stuff - I won't go as far as saying the starters are halfway decent (they are with Brown in the lineup) but they're better than our 2nd unit. 

The improvement factor is something that can be improved upon - his accuracy was just all over the place. Some plays he put the ball on point, some plays he let the ball drift, and his deep ball was just off. That can be improved with his mechanics and footwork - they slip at times. Very correctable, but probably best corrected when actual bullets aren't flying. 

I'm not trying to draw a direct correlation - because not many like him - but this is like Aaron Rodgers in years 1-4. He had every conceivable tool you'd want. This being said, Rodgers hammered in these aspect of his game while sitting and we now have probably the best QB in the NFL because of it. Footwork was refined, mechanics were worked on tirelessly. 

Watson won't have four years (might not even get four games, actually) but if he drills down on his drop back, footwork, arm angles and release points, he'll improve exponentially.

Archived