Tom Savage formally named starting QB

ET80

19 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Savage is not the long term answer. All this does is ruin Watsons rookie stats 

Not really. Rick Smith and O'Brien know Watson is the future. Brady didn't start his rookie year either. Watson will get his shot this season. Good things happen to those who wait.

All this O'Brien dislike time and again.

Yeah, the offenses have been far from high octane, and some of the play calls make you pull your hair out. I lean towards chalking that up to what he has had available. I wouldn't take many chances with Hoyer/Fitz/Mallett/Os/Savage either if they were my QB, and the play calling would reflect. With an above average to great D, paired with a horrific special teams and an offense led by someone you just hope doesn't do something insanely stupid, you call it conservative to stagnant and hope your D puts you in position to do something to win the game.

I'm fine with 9-7 for 3 years with 2 playoff appearances and 1 win. (YES, I know that it came against the AFC South and the Raiders didn't have Carr...fact remains that it happened) It takes time to rebuild a team, and that's exactly what has happened since the 2-14 year. Unless O'Brien's team completely implodes, I'd rather have the coach that the team was "designed" for around rather than have a new guy come in and dismantle it over 3 years because it doesn't fit HIS system. In my opinion, every new football coach...high school, college, pros needs 4-5 years before he's gone unless something  disastrous happens. This is year 4, if something doesn't start to change, yeah, it should be looked at, but I'm still inclined to give him year 5.

2 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I just can't stand Savage and his check down, check down, sack style 

I'm on board with this...not a fan of Savage and haven't been since before he was drafted. I always thought he was a bad pick. Holds the ball too long, indecisive and can't move effectively.

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Savage is not the long term answer. All this does is ruin Watsons rookie stats 

Rookie stats? I can't tell if you're being serious or not. Who cares about his stats?

16 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Come on Pastor, you're killing me. 

Give me a list of rookies who have started from Day 1 that have lead their teams to the playoffs?

There's a long list. Dak Prescot comes to mind. Heck even mark Sanchez went to the AFC championship as a rookie. 

5 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

There's a long list. Dak Prescot comes to mind. Heck even mark Sanchez went to the AFC championship as a rookie. 

So, that's two. Not exactly a long list.

I'll spot you a 3rd. Ben Roethlensberger. So, continue.

5 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

So, that's two. Not exactly a long list.

I'll spot you a 3rd. Ben Roethlensberger. So, continue.

One is a sophomore and one hasn't been his teams starter since what 2012? Not exactly a great list either. 

16 hours ago, shep0507 said:

All this O'Brien dislike time and again.

Yeah, the offenses have been far from high octane, and some of the play calls make you pull your hair out. I lean towards chalking that up to what he has had available. I wouldn't take many chances with Hoyer/Fitz/Mallett/Os/Savage either if they were my QB, and the play calling would reflect. With an above average to great D, paired with a horrific special teams and an offense led by someone you just hope doesn't do something insanely stupid, you call it conservative to stagnant and hope your D puts you in position to do something to win the game.

I'm fine with 9-7 for 3 years with 2 playoff appearances and 1 win. (YES, I know that it came against the AFC South and the Raiders didn't have Carr...fact remains that it happened) It takes time to rebuild a team, and that's exactly what has happened since the 2-14 year. Unless O'Brien's team completely implodes, I'd rather have the coach that the team was "designed" for around rather than have a new guy come in and dismantle it over 3 years because it doesn't fit HIS system. In my opinion, every new football coach...high school, college, pros needs 4-5 years before he's gone unless something  disastrous happens. This is year 4, if something doesn't start to change, yeah, it should be looked at, but I'm still inclined to give him year 5.

I'm sorry but 3 straight years of being 9-7 screams mediocre to me.  I like to build on success, not maintain the same results. 

Archived