What can NFL do reduce costly errors from refs?

SotanKing

Referees have been big point of discussion in NFL this season. We keep seeing so many people saying refs suck etc etc but realistically how do you think NFL can help in reducing these costly errors from refs? 

One thing which I wish NFL could do is giving each team an additional challenge just for challenging DPI calls. Among all the penalties refs call, DPI might probably be the most controversial and also tough to judge in real time. Also, a single DPI call can probably change the outcome of a tight game. So, I feel like giving teams an additional challenge just for challenging DPI calls will help in reducing a lot of these costly errors. It might probably increase the match time by may be 5-10 mins on an average but it will also definitely help in reducing situations where a bad decision might influence the match.

I think giving you like 2 challenges per game just for penalties would be the smartest thing and you don't need a timeout/risk losing one.

Challenges would still be the same just with the extra 2 for only penalties, this also applies to within the 2 minute warning because b.s penalties always seem to happen there.

32 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

I think giving you like 2 challenges per game just for penalties would be the smartest thing and you don't need a timeout/risk losing one.

Challenges would still be the same just with the extra 2 for only penalties, this also applies to within the 2 minute warning because b.s penalties always seem to happen there.

I would be glad if league gives 2 challenges just for challenging penalties...there will definitely be some people might complain that it would increase match duration....but yeah I really wish teams get atleast 1 challenge. There are plenty of bad DPI calls and decent number of missed holding calls that could impact the matches

I’d make spot penalties, like DPI automatically reviewable by the booth.

Eliminate the commercial break between scoring plays and the kickoff to make back the time. 

More accurate decisions, less of the infamous score, commercial, kickoff, commercial sequence.

Summary execution.

Seriously though, grade all refs and adjust their pay to correct calls made. End year tally determined by outside source not working for the refs, nor the NFL. 

Once your numbers of incorrect calls drops below a certain percentage, you're let go. 

14 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Instead of reviewable. I think when they all get together on the field to consult with one another, they can use the junbo tron that plays the replays to quickly determine right there and then with one another that they need to pick up the flag. 

That would mean requiring stadiums to replay the questionable call from all angles quickly. Which they don’t do now. 

I think the best thing to do it live grading, replacements at the game, effect pay, allow penalty challenges, and frankly: call them out then they are wrong. NFL protects these guys by editing out the questionable parts of a play or they explain why it wasn’t bad or sometimes flat out ignore it happened. That crap needs to stop. Time to put bad refs on blast by saying they are bad.  

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I think the best thing to do it live grading, replacements at the game, effect pay, allow penalty challenges, and frankly: call them out then they are wrong. NFL protects these guys by editing out the questionable parts of a play or they explain why it wasn’t bad or sometimes flat out ignore it happened. That crap needs to stop. Time to put bad refs on blast by saying they are bad.  

Will never happen. The refs will never agree to that. They will strike. No ref worth a goddamn thing in the NCAA will cross the picket line. You'll go back to getting replacement ref quality. Fans will go balistic like they did last time. Quality will dramatically drop. The NFL will cave again. 

It's already a hard job and the "bad refs" to you are still among the cream of the crop in that talent pool. They have far more leverage than the players in negotiating. 

You want to make it easier on them. That means having refs in the booths or at HQ initiating automatic reviews on everything questionable and allowing for more discretion in what coaches can challenge.

2 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Will never happen. The refs will never agree to that. They will strike. No ref worth a goddamn thing in the NCAA will cross the picket line. You'll go back to getting replacement ref quality. Fans will go balistic like they did last time. Quality will dramatically drop. The NFL will cave again. 

It's already a hard job and the "bad refs" to you are still among the cream of the crop in that talent pool. They have far more leverage than the players in negotiating. 

You want to make it easier on them. That means having refs in the booths or at HQ initiating automatic reviews on everything questionable and allowing for more discretion in what coaches can challenge.

I agree.  They are too strong of a union.  I mean they have been able to resist going full time as opposed to part time.  The things that would make reffing so much better are some of the things they seem to be so strangely against.  NFL needs to come up with a way to just be able to say when things are bad and point it out.  I was reading something on Dean Blandino, and part of what forced him to leave the NFL and that position the apparently created just for him, was that they wouldn't allow him to be critical when a play was missed (whether called or not called) that altered a game.

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I agree.  They are too strong of a union.  I mean they have been able to resist going full time as opposed to part time.  The things that would make reffing so much better are some of the things they seem to be so strangely against.  NFL needs to come up with a way to just be able to say when things are bad and point it out.  I was reading something on Dean Blandino, and part of what forced him to leave the NFL and that position the apparently created just for him, was that they wouldn't allow him to be critical when a play was missed (whether called or not called) that altered a game.

It's 20 Sundays a year plus some meetings you have to fly out for in the offeason. Why would you want to make that your full time job? No ref in the country makes it there full time job. It's always been a side gig from the Pop Warner level up to the NFL. It doesn't need to be and it's not going to help. The primary issues are

1. The speed of the game makes it impossible to always get it right. 

2. The rules are complicated and have more exceptions than actual rules. 

3. The NFL passes down initiatives for the refs to place extra emphasis on based on league goals. 

That's not a good mix. 

Just now, lancerman said:

It's 20 Sundays a year plus some meetings you have to fly out for in the offeason. Why would you want to make that your full time job? No ref in the country makes it there full time job. It's always been a side gig from the Pop Warner level up to the NFL. It doesn't need to be and it's not going to help. The primary issues are

1. The speed of the game makes it impossible to always get it right. 

2. The rules are complicated and have more exceptions than actual rules. 

3. The NFL passes down initiatives for the refs to place extra emphasis on based on league goals. 

That's not a good mix. 

2 and 3 are reasons why they should be full time.  

Take Ed Hochulli for example.  Was a lawyer along with his reffing duties.  Somethings going to fall by the wayside.

And it's easy to make it a full time job:

Weekends for travel and game days.  Mondays (Tuesday if you got MNF) are a day off.  Tuesdays are film review from the last game.  Self critique and a peer review.  Talk about missed plays, good calls, no calls, positioning, ect.  Wednesdays are points of emphasis days.  Talk about problematic calls as a group, go through what they need to make sure to focus on, regular quizzing on the rules.  Thursdays are prep days.  You get your next assignment, review tapes of their games.  Talk about what you are on the look for (like teams that use extra linemen often, different alignments, subbing patterns, etc).  Fridays off.  Saturday's travel to the city, meet with coaches from both teams, go over points of emphasis.

In the offseason there's plenty that can still be done.  Regular conditioning, testing, rules evaluations, competition committee meetings.  Yes there would likely be enough time for a 5-7 week break.

Continuing to push the narrative that there doesn't need to be full time refs and it wouldn't help is a false one IMO.  When you already work a full time job, your part time job is always the one to suffer.

In fact they are up to 24 full time refs:

https://operations.nfl.com/updates/the-officials/nfl-hires-new-full-time-game-officials/

I wish we had access to the grades because it would be interesting to see grading trends of full time refs vs part time.

Archived