Week 17 - The GRINCH who stole Christmas

N4L

6 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I feel bad for saying this, but I'm a little disappointed. Had he been injured long term, we would have been forced to address the LG situation and hopefully upgrade. Laken is a good but not great type of G. If he's there, you don't necessary focus on upgrading. If he's not, you're not looking to just bring in someone just as good. You try to bring in someone who can hopefully be better. But now that we know he'll be fine, we definitely won't upgrade his spot. We could do worse, obviously. And we can focus more attention to our other needs. But now it's the status quo. And we gave up a lot of inside pressure right between Laken and Weston. We'd need an extra blocker right in that A gap.

So I guess we look at bringing in competition for Person. I think we should re-sign him, even if we don't already pencil him in as a starter. Last year, we didn't hesitate to re-sign Kilgore, and ended up trading him on the 2nd or 3rd day of free agency after signing Richburg. So I could see a similar scenario. We re-sign him before free agency, then explore the market, and if we sign someone, maybe Person asks for a chance to start elsewhere and we give it to him. If not, he'll have a shot at keeping his job. He's versatility is very valuable. 

I would love to have an impact blocker on the inside. Someone who just knocks people around on a pull block. It doesn't have to be a first rounder, à la Iupati. But good guards are found throughout the draft.

I think RG, C, and RT (when McGlinchey switches sides) are far more concerning than LG. Upgrading from Laken Tomlinsons are things that already great teams can worry about. Definitely not teams with the #2 overall pick.

To put this in perspective, if we used only his 873 yards after the catch, Kittle still would have had more receiving yards than every other tight end in the league with the exception of Ertz, Kelce, and weirdly, Jared Cook. 

The official stat shows him at 784, which was second most in the league (behind CMC). That still would have been more receiving yards than any one but the three mentioned above (Ebron was fifth in receiving yards from tight ends with 750) 

Richburg did miss time this year, so it is possible that his poor play could be attributed to a lingering injury.

I'd like to believe that, except I heard that he had trouble with strong DTs who had good leverage before the season started and then I saw him get manhandled in several games. 

Hes still better than Kilgore lol 

7 minutes ago, N4L said:

Richburg did miss time this year, so it is possible that his poor play could be attributed to a lingering injury.

I'd like to believe that, except I heard that he had trouble with strong DTs who had good leverage before the season started and then I saw him get manhandled in several games. 

Hes still better than Kilgore lol 

Shanny even said he's been playing through injury in one of his pressers so it's not hearsay. He definitely hasn't been 100% since he got hurt. But it's the run game where he has made the most difference. He and McG are the reason those outside zone runs looked so much better this year.

10 hours ago, Forge said:

To put this in perspective, if we used only his 873 yards after the catch, Kittle still would have had more receiving yards than every other tight end in the league with the exception of Ertz, Kelce, and weirdly, Jared Cook. 

The official stat shows him at 784, which was second most in the league (behind CMC). That still would have been more receiving yards than any one but the three mentioned above (Ebron was fifth in receiving yards from tight ends with 750) 

Could have had 50+ more YAC if he didn't drop that pass against Minnesota! 

Amazing stat though. Next step for him is to become a legitimate RZ threat. He still doesn't quite come up with the catches in that area that Kelce or Prime Gronk would. 

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Shanny even said he's been playing through injury in one of his pressers so it's not hearsay. He definitely hasn't been 100% since he got hurt. But it's the run game where he has made the most difference. He and McG are the reason those outside zone runs looked so much better this year.

If I signed a free agent to a pretty big deal and he didn't deliver, you can be sure I'd say he's working through some injuries.

2 hours ago, rudyZ said:

If I signed a free agent to a pretty big deal and he didn't deliver, you can be sure I'd say he's working through some injuries.

But he did have a injury though so I don't see the angle there. Pretty difficult injury to play though too. He was always going to struggle in pass pro because that really isn't his strong-suit. He's a finesse type of Center who excells mainly at getting to those second level reach blocks which is required in this zone scheme. He's always going to get over-powered by big, strong DTs...always will. He was really signed for what he does in the run game, particularly those stretch, outside zone runs. He's light years better than Kilgore in that regard. Always viewed him as a placeholder until they found someone through the draft they could develop. He was one of the top centers on the market and the only one who really seemed like a scheme fit. They paid him like a top free agent at his position. I don't view it as an overpaid or a bad signing because his deal is essentially a 2 year deal the way it's structured. The numbers in the run game speak for themselves. A healthy Breida and Morstert for 16 games probably puts us in the top 2-3 rushing attacks in the league.....without McK. He played decent overall, but really helped us in the run game. I can live with his shortcomings in pass-pro for the time being. 

Archived