What''s the best/worst draft position we can get?

coachbuns

Right now we have the 14th pick.  There are 4 teams with 6-9 records right now. The Broncos looked dreadful last night and they are playing the Chargers this week so they probably will lose even at home.   The Panthers are going to New Orleans.  The only way they win is if the Saints sit a bunch of starters seeing they have wrapped up the top seed.  The Bengals have to visit the Steelers who are fighting for their playoff lives so I don't see them winning on the road.  Atlanta will probably beat Tampa this week and finish 7-9 so we have a chance to get a better spot than them if we finish 6-9-1.  My question is does that tie make our winning percentage higher than Atlanta (and Carolina if the Saints sit several starters) if we lose and those 2 teams win?

The real problem is I don't see Detroit coming into Lambeau and winning unless we have starters sit (and I don't think Philbin is gonna do that).  It appears the Lions are mailing it in.  So I have a feeling we'll stay at #14 unless Gute decides to bundle this pick and the one we'll get from New Orleans and try to move up.  Personally I hope we stay put and take 2 players in that first round.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-draft-order-lions-move-into-top-five-with-jaguars-win-49ers-jets-move-up-a-spot-after-raiders-win/

54 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Right now we have the 14th pick.  There are 4 teams with 6-9 records right now. The Broncos looked dreadful last night and they are playing the Chargers this week so they probably will lose even at home.   The Panthers are going to New Orleans.  The only way they win is if the Saints sit a bunch of starters seeing they have wrapped up the top seed.  The Bengals have to visit the Steelers who are fighting for their playoff lives so I don't see them winning on the road.  Atlanta will probably beat Tampa this week and finish 7-9 so we have a chance to get a better spot than them if we finish 6-9-1.  My question is does that tie make our winning percentage higher than Atlanta (and Carolina if the Saints sit several starters) if we lose and those 2 teams win?

The real problem is I don't see Detroit coming into Lambeau and winning unless we have starters sit (and I don't think Philbin is gonna do that).  It appears the Lions are mailing it in.  So I have a feeling we'll stay at #14 unless Gute decides to bundle this pick and the one we'll get from New Orleans and try to move up.  Personally I hope we stay put and take 2 players in that first round.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-draft-order-lions-move-into-top-five-with-jaguars-win-49ers-jets-move-up-a-spot-after-raiders-win/

Thanks for the update.  Totally agree that we should stay put and use the two 1st round draft choices instead of moving up.  I'd maybe trade a lower/ mid round pick and move up in the 2nd or even into the 2nd from 3rd for a player or two we like.  We need high end talent in this draft ... period.  

1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

Thanks for the update.  Totally agree that we should stay put and use the two 1st round draft choices instead of moving up.  I'd maybe trade a lower/ mid round pick and move up in the 2nd or even into the 2nd from 3rd for a player or two we like.  We need high end talent in this draft ... period.  

Pugger --- I see you are an old guy like me!  :)   

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

Mathematically 10 is the best position, 17 is the worst position. Realistically we're probably going to be 16 or 17. 

I dont know where we'll draft - but I dont see DET coming to Lambeau and winning. I dont know - did we lose more players in the NYJ game? Perhaps I shouldnt have spoken too soon - but didnt we have some outrageous winning streak against DET in our home games?

IMO DET (more than us.....) will have its bags packed.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

I dont know where we'll draft - but I dont see DET coming to Lambeau and winning. I dont know - did we lose more players in the NYJ game? Perhaps I shouldnt have spoken too soon - but didnt we have some outrageous winning streak against DET in our home games?

IMO DET (more than us.....) will have its bags packed.

Based on my post I had us beating Detroit. We are currently 14, the only way we can drop to 16 or 17 is by winning against Detroit. 

For what it's worth, the Lions ace more to play for than we do.  Their draft position can't be hurt by winning as much as it can for us since they're guaranteed to pick lower than us, and they've got players playing for jobs since Patricia is coming back for them next year whereas Philbin isn't for us.  If Jaire doesn't play, the Lions could very easily putscore us.

Not that I want that to happen because I want us to continue our Lambeau dominance over them, but it could happen.

5 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Pugger --- I see you are an old guy like me!  :)   

I'm glad you consider me one of the guys!   :D  I'm actually a retired lady from GB now living in FL.  You older GB guys might remember the Academy?  I'm one of those too.  lol   Folks down here find it kinda neat that I talk football like a guy.  B|

Archived