Week 17: Jaguars @ Texans - Is this nightmare over yet?

.Buzz

1 hour ago, DuvalsKing said:

You could very well be right, with this front office you have to think about the unimaginable which would be to stick with this front office. Because they have had so many obvious egregious errors in how to run a franchise and yet still be able to say they are employed is astonishing to me.

Trust me. I rather not have Blake here, but the ideal exit point was last draft by taking his successor. Adding Flacco or Taylor just further compounds the issue. Neither player will sign without some kind of guaranteed money, since they will know that we can draft a QB a month later, basically putting them in the same spot they were in with their previous teams (which Joe was already not a fan of).

And for us, it just compounds the problem by adding even more money to the QB pool that we're going to wash away in a few months as neither player are good options anyway.

I could be wrong, I hope I'm wrong (hoping they finally wake up and give Teddy a chance). But in observing and listening to these guys over the years, this is how I see this playing out based on what I have seen from this regime.

3 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

You could very well be right, with this front office you have to think about the unimaginable which would be to stick with this front office. Because they have had so many obvious egregious errors in how to run a franchise and yet still be able to say they are employed is astonishing to me.

He's not coming back.

5 hours ago, Speedyg said:

Trust me. I rather not have Blake here, but the ideal exit point was last draft by taking his successor. Adding Flacco or Taylor just further compounds the issue. Neither player will sign without some kind of guaranteed money, since they will know that we can draft a QB a month later, basically putting them in the same spot they were in with their previous teams (which Joe was already not a fan of).

And for us, it just compounds the problem by adding even more money to the QB pool that we're going to wash away in a few months as neither player are good options anyway.

I could be wrong, I hope I'm wrong (hoping they finally wake up and give Teddy a chance). But in observing and listening to these guys over the years, this is how I see this playing out based on what I have seen from this regime.

I still don't see any way they can bring Bortles back at this point.  You just can't do that.  The fans won't stand for that, and more importantly...the team won't stand for that.  If you bring Bortles back and expect him out there as the starter Week1 again, the team is going to close up and mail in the entire season on you.  You can't have that when your jobs are on the line and this is a make or break season for the staff pretty much top to bottom.  Especially can't bring Bortles back while somehow also bringing in another FA QB.  That would be utter nonsense, and financially impossible anyway.

But you're almost certainly right on anyone from the FA market at QB who comes here, likely wanting to have some guarantees in place.  Both money in their contract, and in the conversations about their role for the next couple years as well.  If you're doing the "vet FA QB" thing, you're gonna have to jump in with both feet.  Spend your other picks and whatever cap space you have left on making this team better today to try to get something done in the next couple years.  Maybe you're still investing a later Day2 or mid-round pick on a QB project to get an iron in the fire...but your 1st, and high 2nd are probably pretty much off the table for QB at that point i'd say.

We just don't have the resources in draft capital or cap space to try to do two things at once with the QB position.  Either find a veteran who can be a "serviceable" starter and build around them, or draft a QB high and build around that for the future.  Can't afford to do both, even if for some reason, they wanted to.

On 1/4/2019 at 4:26 PM, Tugboat said:

I still don't see any way they can bring Bortles back at this point.  You just can't do that.  The fans won't stand for that, and more importantly...the team won't stand for that.  If you bring Bortles back and expect him out there as the starter Week1 again, the team is going to close up and mail in the entire season on you.  You can't have that when your jobs are on the line and this is a make or break season for the staff pretty much top to bottom.  Especially can't bring Bortles back while somehow also bringing in another FA QB.  That would be utter nonsense, and financially impossible anyway.

I think the fans have obviously turned on Blake, but I don't think that locker room has. Sure, there's got to be players in there who want an upgrade (cough Jalen cough). Both Malik and Calais have talked up Blake, and not just in a press-con kind of way. We're talking about in-game moments caught by mics/camera. Telvin and Gipson too. Those four vets are essentially the "leadership" of that defense, so they are not phoning it in anytime soon. Linder is a captain of the offense, Lee when he returns is our #1 WR next season. ASJ should be back. Those three players are the leaders of their respective positional groups on offense, and all of them are fans of Blake.

I'd be more concerned about the backlash on the Fournette stuff. He's well liked in the locker room, and players don't usually like when one of theirs loses money, and we just took a big chunk out of Leonard's.

Archived