Gimme Recommendations

MacReady

I'm about to get heavily back into video games.  I'm looking for recommendations with some explanations on the gameplay/etc.  I'd really appreciate explanations/gameplay descriptions and positives/negatives about some games I may have missed. 

I have:

N64
Original Xbox
PS4
Wii U

For the right exclusive games, I am willing to get:

Switch
Xbox One

What I don't like:

I don't like anything I have to play online. 
I don't want any download only games (need a physical copy).
I don't like artsy games (Shadow of the Colossus seemed pointless to me).
I don't like overly challenging games (I tried Bloodborne for 20 minutes and hated it).
Linear games (A couple exceptions here like the Uncharted games).
Overly complicated strategy/simulation games (Avon Colony felt too much like school/work to learn).

What I like:
RPG games. 
Strategy games.
Tower defense games.
Simple Simulation games (The newest Jurassic Park game I really enjoyed). 

I will probably start this mega video game binge by replaying Mass Effect: Andromeda, then I'll play Horizon: Zero Dawn (I started, then got distracted by TV/Movies and I enjoyed it).

I'll probably buy Red Dead Redemption 2 and the Spider-Man game. 

*I don't mind older games.  I really liked all the Fable games, but I was never able to finish any of them, so I'd definitely be willing to go back and get some games I wasn't able to finish from previous generations.

*I'm also interested in upcoming games to keep an eye on. 

*I've played Witcher 3, I enjoyed Mass Effect: Andromeda, haven't played any RPGs from before Xbox Original (KOTOR I still have). 

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I will probably start this mega video game binge by replaying Mass Effect: Andromeda,

Don't bother with this game, flashy graphics but no substance and boring plot.  

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

N64

Its hard to recommend without knowing what you've already played.  For this one, can't go wrong with Mario 64 or Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.  Both are two of the best video games ever made IMO.  

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Original Xbox

Knights of the Old Republic, and KOTOR2.  If you've already played those, Jade Empire.  If you've already played all of those, Morrowind would be a great pickup.  

12 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Xbox One

The Witcher 3 is probably one of the best RPGs I've ever played in my life.  I would highly recommend it if you haven't played it.  Also the stand alone Gwent card game based on the Witcher just launched, its pretty fun.  Defense Grid 2 is a pretty cool strategy/defense game.  XCOM 2 is probably one of the best strategy games I've ever played and its on xbox one.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Don't bother with this game, flashy graphics but no substance and boring plot.  

I liked it.  I love that type of RPG with loads to do and character interaction/multiple directions character interaction can take you in. 

Its hard to recommend without knowing what you've already played.  For this one, can't go wrong with Mario 64 or Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.  Both are two of the best video games ever made IMO.  

I've tried the Zelda games a couple times and I'm very meh on them.  I'm not sure why.  I think it's the lack of conversation with other characters that gets me.  I'm contemplating whether or not to try Breath of the Wild.

Knights of the Old Republic, and KOTOR2.  If you've already played those, Jade Empire.  If you've already played all of those, Morrowind would be a great pickup.  

Jade Empire is one I've had my eye on for a while.  The reason I'm iffy on it is I'm not crazy about martial arts type games and I don't really know what to expect. 

The Witcher 3 is probably one of the best RPGs I've ever played in my life.  I would highly recommend it if you haven't played it.  Also the stand alone Gwent card game based on the Witcher just launched, its pretty fun.  Defense Grid 2 is a pretty cool strategy/defense game.  XCOM 2 is probably one of the best strategy games I've ever played and its on xbox one.  

I hated XCOM 2 for some reason.  I'll look into Defense Grid 2. 

11 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Jade Empire is one I've had my eye on for a while.  The reason I'm iffy on it is I'm not crazy about martial arts type games and I don't really know what to expect. 

Its the same combat and narrative style as KOTOR, just martial arts instead.  

There's honestly no reason to get an Xbox One at this point.  Since you have a PS4, I'm assuming you've already played Spider-Man, God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2? 

EDIT:  I just saw you said you would probably buy those.  Well, go ahead and do that and your problems will be solved.

Since everyone is going to recommend the obvious ones I'll throw out some indies and ones you need to play.

Oxenfree (PS4) - Go in as blind as possible (Watch the trailer if need be) 

Undertale (Ps4) - I'm gonna guess you've heard of this one, it's worth it.

Hollow Knight (Ps4) - About as good of a platformer as it gets. 

Persona 5 (PS4) - It's just one of those games you need to play once.

As for the WiiU, wait for the Switch port before you get the game (though check the pricing beforehand because some of them are like 15$ compared to a full price port) WiiU games aren't the best but there's some gems, specifically Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE.

As for the Switch, it's 100% worth buying but you might wanna see if there's a specific couple of games you'd want, If you like RPGs Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will keep you bust for 200+ hours.

Xbox One- Don't buy a single game if you have a gaming PC/don't buy one period. Not worth it.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Since he doesn't seem to mind older games, I'd recommend New Vegas over 4.  Just my opinion.

I was never a fan of NV. Better story and stuff like that but the gameplay in 4 is just so much better. I also love the settlement building but that probably isn't for everyone

Archived