Gimme Recommendations

MacReady

38 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

So I just played Red Dead Redemption 2 for about 4 hours yesterday and I'm just not feeling it at all.  I think it's the Western setting, but I'm just not digging it at all.  I'm going to be taking it back to Gamestop.  Hopefully I'll like Spider-Man more since I bought it new.  I think the only RPGs for me are going to be the Fallout/Witcher type RPGs anymore. 

I think Spider-Man should last me until Days Gone, which is definitely my type of game. 

Red Dead's 'tutorial' is like 2+ hours long haha.  It picks up, but man it's a grind.  For me, it's something that I play at a very slow pace and then the online portion is a fun addition if you have friends to play with.

I would still suggest buying it and playing it when it's discounted maybe on Black Friday.  The game was just $35 at Gamestop, so for that price it might be good.

Read Dead definitely feels like it moves slow because of all the horse riding, but each "main" quest is really interesting and the story moves along nicely. 

I like the laid back feel of it though. You can roam whenever you want and pick when you want to move forward.

I've put in probably around 50 hours and I'm on Chapter 5. Probably about 50% through?

21 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

So I just played Red Dead Redemption 2 for about 4 hours yesterday and I'm just not feeling it at all.  I think it's the Western setting, but I'm just not digging it at all.  I'm going to be taking it back to Gamestop.  Hopefully I'll like Spider-Man more since I bought it new.  I think the only RPGs for me are going to be the Fallout/Witcher type RPGs anymore. 

I think Spider-Man should last me until Days Gone, which is definitely my type of game. 

i agree on RDR2.

the game just isnt interesting for me

53 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

i agree on RDR2.

the game just isnt interesting for me

It's a slow burner that you gotta get used to. Think of it as like watching The Wire vs most games being Law and Order. The people who said they are taking their time and not trying to rush through it are doing it right. I struggled with parts of the game myself at first, but after a while you just get lost in the best open world ever. The way the game makes you behave and think is unlike anything else out there.

Just now, Mossburg said:

It's a slow burner that you gotta get used to. Think of it as like watching The Wire vs most games being Law and Order. The people who said they are taking their time and not trying to rush through it are doing it right. I struggled with parts of the game myself at first, but after a while you just get lost in the best open world ever. The way the game makes you behave and think is unlike anything else out there.

i didnt like the Wire either.

Dont like law and order either which makes sense because i dont like most games.

I hold out for the Breaking Bad of games.

I'm slowly playing through RDR2. I like the story but the game play just isn't fun for me. There's nothing enjoyable about having to make sure I get at least 8 hours of sleep, eat a balanced breakfast, and wearing a jacket when it's a chilly out in a damn video game. 

2 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

I'm slowly playing through RDR2. I like the story but the game play just isn't fun for me. There's nothing enjoyable about having to make sure I get at least 8 hours of sleep, eat a balanced breakfast, and wearing a jacket when it's a chilly out in a damn video game. 

I found it annoying at first, but then it made me treat the game more like real life. Instead of doing a mission, I was low on food, so I took a day off to go hunting to have enough cooked meals in my satchel. If I took a bounty job, I made sure I planned a long trip based on time to stop at a town on the way there to make sure I was rested. I've never played a game with that mindset before, it became a really cool experience I've never had playing a game and I really embraced it.

I think I'll eventually do a playthrough as a complete scumbag, basically robbing everyone I see. It's going to make doing daily things a lot harder since you can't just stroll into town to sleep and eat. You'll feel like an actual outlaw who has to sleep in the woods and all that.

19 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I am halfway through RDR2 and have never once slept/rested unless it was required to end a mission or start the next scene. I also have never worn a jacket since the opening scene, and almost never eat. No issues.

Yeah I only had to be concerned with clothing when I went way up North, which was only once in awhile. And I'd usually only eat when I was in camp or had low health. Once I found gold I didn't even have to worry about hunting or fishing all that often as I could afford pretty much anything I wanted. Sometimes I would do those things just for fun, but they could become a bit tedious after awhile.

The game can definitely be a bit slow at times, but overall I had a lot of fun playing it. I'll probably do the same thing as @Mossburg one of these days and act like a total prick for the entire story. That'll probably make the game more challenging.

Archived