Android Thread

BobbyPhil1781

4 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I'm pretty sure I did that, plus I used their online tool to disable iMessage on my number and I'm still not receiving text messages from iPhone users. 

They may have made it more difficult recently, I'm not sure. Anything they can do to deter people from switching aside from actually making better phones.

1 hour ago, skywlker32 said:

They may have made it more difficult recently, I'm not sure. Anything they can do to deter people from switching aside from actually making better phones.

Apparently to get messages from old contacts, I have to ask contacts to delete our existing message thread in their phone.

On 8/14/2018 at 6:12 PM, JTagg7754 said:

I've never had a problem getting phones from Best Buy. I used to take advantage of their Black Friday deals. I think the only problem is if you change your contract language there's a penalty. I cannot be certain though. You can get the phone via a Google pricing plan also in case you didn't know

Cell phone providers and places like Best Buy used to amortize the cost of the phone into the plan as a flat rate from the day you buy it to the end of time.  Do they still do that?  I had stopped buying phones on contracts years ago because i realized i was paying the cost of the phone 3x over by the time i replaced it.

4 hours ago, theJ said:

Cell phone providers and places like Best Buy used to amortize the cost of the phone into the plan as a flat rate from the day you buy it to the end of time.  Do they still do that?  I had stopped buying phones on contracts years ago because i realized i was paying the cost of the phone 3x over by the time i replaced it.

They now so them the same way as your provider's store. You pay X amount until the phone is paid off. You can put Y amount down as well to keep payments lower. My wife got her S8 from Best Buy and this is how they do it.

14 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

They now so them the same way as your provider's store. You pay X amount until the phone is paid off. You can put Y amount down as well to keep payments lower. My wife got her S8 from Best Buy and this is how they do it.

Good.  Used to be the biggest ripoff in the industry.  Glad this has been reversed.

2 hours ago, theJ said:

Good.  Used to be the biggest ripoff in the industry.  Glad this has been reversed.

Yea, I think the competition from smaller carries and the flat $40 or so unlimited plans put an end to that. I remember someone I know on a flip phone had a $96 phone bill almost a full year after their contract was over. Carriers had it really good back then haha.

Edited by Mossburg

Thinking of returning my phone. Didn't think I was that deeply rooted in the iPhone ecosystem yet here I am. I keep finding new things I like on the Pixel 2 but also missing a lot of key features in my primary apps, like the placement of buttons. I haven't gotten used to the holding the phone either and playing with the iPhone 8 yesterday, it felt comfortable and familiar. My biggest motivator for getting a new phone was a better camera seems a lot better overall but now I'm not sure if it's enough to hold me over. I also can't help but being worried I'll be burned by an Android device crapping out on me again. 

This is quite an agonizing decision.

4 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Thinking of returning my phone. Didn't think I was that deeply rooted in the iPhone ecosystem yet here I am. I keep finding new things I like on the Pixel 2 but also missing a lot of key features in my primary apps, like the placement of buttons. I haven't gotten used to the holding the phone either and playing with the iPhone 8 yesterday, it felt comfortable and familiar. My biggest motivator for getting a new phone was a better camera seems a lot better overall but now I'm not sure if it's enough to hold me over. I also can't help but being worried I'll be burned by an Android device crapping out on me again. 

This is quite an agonizing decision.

I'm still getting used to them moving the clock over to the other side once I installed Android 9 lol. I definitely get it though. Transition periods are difficult once you're so used to something. Good luck the rest of the way if you stick w/ it!

On 8/21/2018 at 8:48 AM, JTagg7754 said:

I'm still getting used to them moving the clock over to the other side once I installed Android 9 lol. I definitely get it though. Transition periods are difficult once you're so used to something. Good luck the rest of the way if you stick w/ it!

Decided to keep it. Everything in this phone just feels right right now. Maybe in a couple years I'll feel differently and want to go back to an iPhone but we'll see. I'll live the life of shame as a green bubble to my friends but maybe in the mean time, USA will catch up with the rest of the world.

7 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Decided to keep it. Everything in this phone just feels right right now. Maybe in a couple years I'll feel differently and want to go back to an iPhone but we'll see. I'll live the life of shame as a green bubble to my friends but maybe in the mean time, USA will catch up with the rest of the world.

Right on. I have the OG Pixel XL and am a huge fan. If you have concerns, I'm nerdy about this ish and wouldn't mind helping out. One thing I love about the Android OS is the ability to use launchers. I highly suggest looking into those if you haven't already

39 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Right on. I have the OG Pixel XL and am a huge fan. If you have concerns, I'm nerdy about this ish and wouldn't mind helping out. One thing I love about the Android OS is the ability to use launchers. I highly suggest looking into those if you haven't already

How necessary are screen protectors? I've had one on my phone for the last few years because it just felt obligatory. I have a cheap one on now but I don't love it. Doesn't bubbles around the edge, but holds in place and its just a hair too narrow on both sides so it doesn't completely cover the screen so at the right angle, there's a weird rainbow effect. 

Any recommendations for a case that isn't super bulky?

Anyone heard of the Oppo Find X?

https://m.gsmarena.com/oppo_find_x-7885.php

Beautiful phone. First company to have basically all screen display. I think S10 had this up their sleeves but they were beat to the punch. It's also faster than any android on the market. Only the iPhone X does better on speed tests. 

Edited by BayRaider

12 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

How necessary are screen protectors? I've had one on my phone for the last few years because it just felt obligatory. I have a cheap one on now but I don't love it. Doesn't bubbles around the edge, but holds in place and its just a hair too narrow on both sides so it doesn't completely cover the screen so at the right angle, there's a weird rainbow effect. 

Any recommendations for a case that isn't super bulky?

I have never once used a screen protector. It has never bitten me once but I take very good care of these things. Like I said, I'm a nerd about this ish lol. However, I do wish I used them now. Unbeknownst to me, when you start using glass that can bend, it makes it more susceptible to scratches. I had my phone next to me on the couch and my dog heard another dog walking by the house and bolted up to check the scene out. Her hind leg stepped on my phone. Not usually a big deal. Happened in other phones I've had. Well, this time, she left 3 very faint scratches on the surface. You have to look for them but they are there. This is a winded version of "I've never used one but I might now" lol. 

As for cases, I love Spigen cases. I am very brand loyal to them just for the criteria you stated; they're not bulky. They still do a good job w/ protection though. I have dropped my phone w/ them and nothing has ever happened. To give an example of what I've working w/, here is the case I was using:

https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Rugged-Google-Resilient-Absorption/dp/B01M1EEXWJ

I switched it though b/c I was able to use a phone w/ a ring on the back of it and it opened up my world. I have average hand size so reaching the corners of the phone w/ one hand is a problem. Once I used this phone w/ the ring on the back of it, the problem no longer existed. The case I purchased has a ring built into it so the Spigen case just sits there. I honestly cannot give you any recommendations for cases b/c the last 4 phones I've had have all been in Spigen.