Android Thread

BobbyPhil1781

On 10/9/2018 at 2:34 PM, showtime said:

Pixel 3 announced today.  Really disappointment the XL version is rocking only 4GB of RAM.  Really would have liked to see 6GB at minimum. 

All reviews I've seen have stated there's no issue with performance. Maybe they utilize memory much like Apple does so the specs are misleading.

I'm going to Verizon tomorrow to check these out. One of them will be my best device. Just need to see if the XL is too big bc it's a massive screen. Heard there's a setting in developer mode that will cut the screen at the notch so if it bothers me, bye bye.

48 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

All reviews I've seen have stated there's no issue with performance. Maybe they utilize memory much like Apple does so the specs are misleading.

I'm going to Verizon tomorrow to check these out. One of them will be my best device. Just need to see if the XL is too big bc it's a massive screen. Heard there's a setting in developer mode that will cut the screen at the notch so if it bothers me, bye bye.

The device just came out, so I'm expecting there to be no issues with performance.  When the Pixel 2 was released, everyone raved about how the phone was absolutely flawless.  MKBHD made a video recently saying that his Pixel 2 is lagging and he doesn't use it anymore - and this is someone who is a HUGE Pixel supporter and has touted that as the best Android phone on the market.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

The device just came out, so I'm expecting there to be no issues with performance.  When the Pixel 2 was released, everyone raved about how the phone was absolutely flawless.  MKBHD made a video recently saying that his Pixel 2 is lagging and he doesn't use it anymore - and this is someone who is a HUGE Pixel supporter and has touted that as the best Android phone on the market.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. I do like him as a reviewer also so I trust his word. If this phone was having those problems and so frequently, I can't fathom why Google wouldn't do anything about it. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit but I feel this would be something that shouldn't be overlooked. I'll handle a small amount of lag for the best camera on the market though. Hell, I had Sammy phones for a while and that described them perfectly.

6 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. I do like him as a reviewer also so I trust his word. If this phone was having those problems and so frequently, I can't fathom why Google wouldn't do anything about it. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit but I feel this would be something that shouldn't be overlooked. I'll handle a small amount of lag for the best camera on the market though. Hell, I had Sammy phones for a while and that described them perfectly.

Maybe they optimized the software on the Pixel 3 to help the issues.  4GB just isn't a lot for phones today, though.  Especially when people open tons of apps and don't fully 100% close them all.  On my Note 8, sometimes I'll look through the app drawer and still see the apps operating in the background even though I closed them out.

19 hours ago, showtime said:

Maybe they optimized the software on the Pixel 3 to help the issues.  4GB just isn't a lot for phones today, though.  Especially when people open tons of apps and don't fully 100% close them all.  On my Note 8, sometimes I'll look through the app drawer and still see the apps operating in the background even though I closed them out.

I read the S9 only has 4 GB so I find that interesting. I'll be anxious to see how it holds up but I'll get it before it gets too late.

I just got back from holding the 3 XL and it absolutely will be my next phone. Odd thing is, the notch didn't bother me the 15 minutes I played around with it. The portrait mode was excellent though. 

On 10/17/2018 at 10:04 PM, showtime said:

Most apps should be optimized to take up minimal space when you exit them (meaning  press the home button or go to another app, not swipe them out). I'm assuming when you say "even though I closed them out" you mean you swipe them out from the recently used apps screen, in which case developers have been saying for years not only does that not do anything, but it actually hurts your performance.

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/closing-apps-save-battery-makes-things-worse/

On both Android and iOS, algorithms run memory management. They'll close apps that need to be closed, typically ones that have been dormant for a while or are using more power or memory than they should. And they're very good at knowing when you're going to need data, or want a refresh, or open an app again. Apps that are already in memory open quickly, rather than having to fully start again; it's like waking your computer from sleep rather than rebooting it completely. You're far, far better off letting the system work for you rather than forcing it to re-open and re-start everything every time. Battery questions aside, it makes your phone slower and less coherent.

Basically it comes down to how well the OS manages resources than RAM. I'd bet on Google phones to be better than any others because they're the ones who actually built the OS and they know what they're doing.

Edited by Mossburg

23 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Most apps should be optimized to take up minimal space when you exit them (meaning  press the home button or go to another app, not swipe them out). I'm assuming when you say "even though I closed them out" you mean you swipe them out from the recently used apps screen, in which case developers have been saying for years not only does that not do anything, but it actually hurts your performance.

Basically it comes down to how well the OS manages resources than RAM. I'd bet on Google phones to be better than any others because they're the ones who actually built the OS and they know what they're doing.

I would think that as well, but the Pixel 2 changed my outlook on things a decent amount.  On my Note 8, I always have about 2.3GB of free RAM.  Just imagine if this phone only had 4GB, it would be slow as heck.  I know this is a Samsung, but these newer phones (Note 8 and Note 9) have found the formula for success.  At least 6GB of RAM and the phone will run smoothly.  When the Pixel 2 came out and only had 4GB, all Pixel enthusiast said over and over again how the phone won't lag because the OS is optimized for their phone.... 8 months later the phone is lagging it could have been prevented with 6GB of RAM.

The Pixel is kind of like the iPhone of Android.  They skimp on features and this time it actually hurt the phone.

13 minutes ago, showtime said:

I would think that as well, but the Pixel 2 changed my outlook on things a decent amount.  On my Note 8, I always have about 2.3GB of free RAM.  Just imagine if this phone only had 4GB, it would be slow as heck.  I know this is a Samsung, but these newer phones (Note 8 and Note 9) have found the formula for success.  At least 6GB of RAM and the phone will run smoothly.  When the Pixel 2 came out and only had 4GB, all Pixel enthusiast said over and over again how the phone won't lag because the OS is optimized for their phone.... 8 months later the phone is lagging it could have been prevented with 6GB of RAM.

The Pixel is kind of like the iPhone of Android.  They skimp on features and this time it actually hurt the phone.

https://bgr.com/2018/10/22/pixel-3-xl-vs-iphone-xs-max-speed-test-and-benchmark-comparison/

I stand corrected according to this apparently. Sounds like it's more of a budget phone with an outdated chip that asks a premium price. Sounds like this could be a really good device for $500. This is basically one of the reasons why I moved on from Android. At least with iPhone you know you're getting well functioning devices in terms of basic performance despite  whatever flaws it may have.

Google isn’t doing itself any favors by launching new phones in late October, as long as these phones are still running on off-the-shelf processors like Qualcomm’s Snapdragon series. The 10nm 845 chip inside the Pixel 3 is already “old” considering 7nm chips are available, powering all three 2018 iPhones as well as four new Huawei Mate 20 versions. Moreover, the Snapdragon 855 (8150) is just around the corner, and it’s also a 7nm chip.

But hardware doesn’t seem to be the Pixel 3’s main problem right now. As one of the following speed tests shows, the phone isn’t doing a great job at keeping apps in memory, which means you’ll waste time waiting for apps to be reloaded again. Even if it’s running the purest form of Android available, the Pixel 3 isn’t the fastest phone out there, as the software doesn’t seem to be optimized

The XL can’t beat other 2018 flagships either, including the Galaxy S9 or the OnePlus 6, which is the fastest Android in town.

Edited by Mossburg

23 hours ago, Mossburg said:

Wait, you're not supposed to manually kill apps? I never knew that........

20 hours ago, BayRaider said:

New Pixel 3 looks nice. XL looks super ugly though. 

I thought the same thing then I went to go see it in person. After playing around w/ it for 10-15, I didn't even notice why I felt it was ugly. I've been bitching about the looks of that phone since leaks started happening. After 15 minutes of playing w/ it, I can safely say it'll be my next phone. I always wait for a few batches to get out before getting phones though so I'll wait until Xmas of BF if they have some sort of deal.