Android Thread

BobbyPhil1781

15 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Dude my Nexus is total'd.  I keep forgetting to ask for a replacement.  I have Nexus protect so I should just call.

Yeah, you should. I see some people on AC who have Nexus Protect and they got brand new Pixel XL for calling. I know you've brought it up before about getting a new one so that's why I made you aware of this. I'll be getting mine tomorrow. Looking forward to it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Anyone have much experience with custom launchers? I always find them a little daunting. 

I use Apex. Setting it up takes a while but it's worth it in the long run IMO. One I used to LOVE but was a little buggy was Themer. It takes one of the best things about the Android experience and just throws it in your face. Hours and hours and hours of work done by pressing "Apply" lol. I stopped using it once I got my 6P though. Maybe it was my Note 4 that made it buggy. I might have to give it another shot

49 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I use Apex. Setting it up takes a while but it's worth it in the long run IMO. One I used to LOVE but was a little buggy was Themer. It takes one of the best things about the Android experience and just throws it in your face. Hours and hours and hours of work done by pressing "Apply" lol. I stopped using it once I got my 6P though. Maybe it was my Note 4 that made it buggy. I might have to give it another shot

It's just so much effort. And isn't it a lump on the OS?

19 hours ago, texans_uk said:

It's just so much effort. And isn't it a lump on the OS?

I've never looked into how much a custom launcher effects the OS. I should look into that. When I get my XL today, I might run the base OS to be able to use the new features Oreo has to offer. If you know of anything off the top of your head as far as material about launchers effects on phones, post it. No need to put in work though. Last time I checked, everyone has the same Google so I should be able to find it.

12 hours ago, showtime said:

Anyone here excited for the Pixel XL 2?  I am!  All the rumors so far are very promising and exciting.

I was until I got this upgrade lol. I'm glad it happened though b/c I'm very hesitant to purchase a device that does not have dual cameras for now. I feel that's where we're headed and I think it's not moving forward if the device does not have them. Looks like it'll be a solid phone though.

7 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

I was until I got this upgrade lol. I'm glad it happened though b/c I'm very hesitant to purchase a device that does not have dual cameras for now. I feel that's where we're headed and I think it's not moving forward if the device does not have them. Looks like it'll be a solid phone though.

Roughly how much do you think the phone will cost?  I've seen some rumors say it will be around $700-$800, but I was reading something earlier that said it may be cheaper than that.  I think around $700 is roughly around the lowest they will price the XL 2.

15 hours ago, showtime said:

Roughly how much do you think the phone will cost?  I've seen some rumors say it will be around $700-$800, but I was reading something earlier that said it may be cheaper than that.  I think around $700 is roughly around the lowest they will price the XL 2.

The 64GB model will cost $849, while the 128GB model will jump to $949.

15 months into my LG V10 and it's not aging well.  A 3 foot drop put little cracks in 2 spots on my screen, it's starting to get buggy and take forever to load any app of substance.  The battery life has gone completely to **** as well, i'll likely need to replace it before I upgrade next.  My twins are using my old Samsung Galaxy S5 with an extended life battery, and honestly, other than camera quality, their phone works better than mine.  And I didn't particularly like the S5 when I had it (S3 may have been the best phone I've ever owned though).

41 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I've heard some good things about the new Motorola Droid phones, I might give those a try next, albeit I won't be upgrading until May/June 2018

I've always been curious about how well the "shatterproof" technology would hold up. Luckily for Moto, their cameras have improved dramatically from when I had my last. The OG Moto X was still one of my favorite phones even though the camera was from a phone 8 years prior lol

32 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I've always been curious about how well the "shatterproof" technology would hold up. Luckily for Moto, their cameras have improved dramatically from when I had my last. The OG Moto X was still one of my favorite phones even though the camera was from a phone 8 years prior lol

My last Motorola was the Droid 2 Global, which was a solid if unspectacular phone, but that was over 5 years ago now.  Or maybe it was 7, not sure.

Here are some post I made in the TAST thread and think they might be better served here:

I haven't had a smart phone in a very long time.  I have mainly used a generic flip phone over the past two years.  Since I haven't been too much into phones, I am really lost on what the best phones are.  I know the iPhone 8 recently released and I know the Google Pixel 2 is getting ready to be unveiled in a few days.  Honestly, I would say the Pixel is sadly not an option because I don't believe there's a way to get the phone on a payment play through my cell phone carrier - it appears I have to buy the phone through Google.  

According to my carriers website, I can get the iPhone 8 Plus for $26.67 a month.  I am strongly considering going that route, but before I do, I just wanted to know if there are any other phones out there I should consider?  Or, if anyone here has the iPhone 8, do you think it is a worthy phone?  I will more than likely keep whatever phone I purchase for at least two years, so I would really like to get a phone that is more current now so it ages better in the future; I also want a phone that will continue to get software updates over the next two years as well.

If you like Android, the Note 8 really is an incredible phone. Ive had a love hate relationship with Android/Samsung for like 5+ years. Ive had a Note 7, Axon 7 and now the note 8 in the last year. This phone is leaps and bounds better than any other Android device out there. Incredible screen, camera, water proof. And the pen is such an x factor. I use it every day. Hell, just earlier I used it to translate Portuguese to English.

I've never owned a Samsung phone, but I always hear critics saying that the phone has a lot of bloatware and that's a bad thing.  I actually was looking at the Note 8 and it seems great.  I am interested to hear your opinion on why someone would get a Galaxy S8 over a Note 8 - as in, what advantages does the Galaxy have over the Note.  I've never owned a phone with a pen or stylus, so is that something I would actually use or is it more of a gimmick?