Oregon QB Justin Herbert to return to school for senior season

TheKillerNacho

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25618480/justin-herbert-oregon-ducks-announces-return-senior-season

I know he's not currently an NFL player, but I thought it was NFL-relevant enough to share here. He was the concensus #1 QB that would've been available in this year's draft. This hurts the teams near the front of the draft's chances of trading down for a king's bounty. Moreover, it's a blow to the Giants and Jags since him not being there thins the QB pool significantly.

The top QBs available in the draft are now probably Dwayne Haskins and Drew Lock, both of which have some issues that would make them otherwise 2nd-day picks.

As for Herbert, this is a really questionable move to me. If you have the opportunity to come out as the consensus #1 signal caller, you do it. This is a major risk as injury or poor play during his senior season could significantly hurt his draft stock.

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Hope Herbert comes from an independently wealthy family, otherwise I've seen this movie before.

My understanding is that they are well enough off and not hurting for cash. His little brother is also an incoming freshman to Oregon, and supposedly, he really wanted to play with him for at least one year. The family is also from Eugene, and supposedly he loves it there. 

Just now, Forge said:

My understanding is that they are well enough off and not hurting for cash. His little brother is also an incoming freshman to Oregon, and supposedly, he really wanted to play with him for at least one year. The family is also from Eugene, and supposedly he loves it there. 

Ask Jake Locker, Matt Barkley, Matt Leinart, Brian Brohm and many others how this decision works out

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

Ask Jake Locker, Matt Barkley, Matt Leinart, Brian Brohm and many others how this decision works out

His priorities are his priorities, I guess. And if they don't need the money, then it's pretty much whatever.

Locker and Leinart still went in the top 10 though. And sometimes it doesn't hurt players at all (See Luck & Bradford). Time will tell. Sometimes it will hurt, and sometimes he's going to have his cake and eat it too. 

Going from #1 to #10 is a pretty big deal.  If you have the opportunity to come out as almost the surefire #1, you should take it, your stock will never be higher.  Luck was the rare exception, and even so, he still came out early and still found himself in a competition for that #1. Bradford was not a guaranteed #1 a year earlier, bc Stafford was always going to go #1. And truthfully, the Rams were fools for taking Bradford #1 over Suh and McCoy.  And that's not just results speaking.  I said it back then and the player grades for those 2 were so far ahead of everybody else you have to think only an idiot doesnt take one of the 2.  And that was proven right.

25 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

As for Herbert, this is a really questionable move to me. If you have the opportunity to come out as the consensus #1 signal caller, you do it. This is a major risk as injury or poor play during his senior season could significantly hurt his draft stock

He knows Sean Payton won’t be able to snag him in 2019 B| better hold off a year.

2 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Going from #1 to #10 is a pretty big deal.  If you have the opportunity to come out as almost the surefire #1, you should take it, your stock will never be higher.  Luck was the rare exception, and even so, he still came out early and still found himself in a competition for that #1. Bradford was not a guaranteed #1 a year earlier, bc Stafford was always going to go #1. And truthfully, the Rams were fools for taking Bradford #1 over Suh and McCoy.  And that's not just results speaking.  I said it back then and the player grades for those 2 were so far ahead of everybody else you have to think only an idiot doesnt take one of the 2.  And that was proven right.

He's not a surefire number one, so that's faulty logic....and I certainly would argue that out of the guys you named, only Leinart would have likely been the #1 overall pick if you're going to pick at Bradford not being the #1 as well (Especially given that you're blasting the rams for taking bradford first overall that year when he was a cleaner prospect than Locker, so it stands to reason that they shouldn't have taken Locker #1 either). Right now, it's entirely possible that Herbert wouldn't have gone until #7/#8. Personally, I think Barkley would have been picked apart regardless of whether he went back or not. He simply didn't have the physical skill set. 

49 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25618480/justin-herbert-oregon-ducks-announces-return-senior-season

I know he's not currently an NFL player, but I thought it was NFL-relevant enough to share here. He was the concensus #1 QB that would've been available in this year's draft. This hurts the teams near the front of the draft's chances of trading down for a king's bounty. Moreover, it's a blow to the Giants and Jags since him not being there thins the QB pool significantly.

The top QBs available in the draft are now probably Dwayne Haskins and Drew Lock, both of which have some issues that would make them otherwise 2nd-day picks.

As for Herbert, this is a really questionable move to me. If you have the opportunity to come out as the consensus #1 signal caller, you do it. This is a major risk as injury or poor play during his senior season could significantly hurt his draft stock.

Yeah this sucks, we are in a franchise league and I have the 3rd pick was thinking of actually drafting a rookie qb this year getting old at that position. I got Newton but he is hurt and I really wanted to add talent at that spot. Usually best 2 rookie running backs go 1st and 2nd in every year getting the best qb or wr is the option. With Haskins left only might look elsewhere I like to have options.

Archived