Jump to content
MikeT14

Redskins front office shakeup: COO, CMO fired

Recommended Posts

This is shameful.  This might be the straw that broke the camel's back for me.  I loved what Lafemina did to try and reinvigorate interest and sales around the team, but you can only do so much if the team isn't winning.  But apparently he's out because Bruce didn't like the hire (it was Snyder's decision) and amongst other things, the fans viewed him as a savior a la Scot McCloughan.  Also a turning point in the relationship between the two was the Reuben Foster waiver claim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

This is shameful.  This might be the straw that broke the camel's back for me.  I loved what Lafemina did to try and reinvigorate interest and sales around the team, but you can only do so much if the team isn't winning.  But apparently he's out because Bruce didn't like the hire (it was Snyder's decision) and amongst other things, the fans viewed him as a savior a la Scot McCloughan.  Also a turning point in the relationship between the two was the Reuben Foster waiver claim. 

It is really shameful that Allen has so much control. I liked what Lafemina was doing as well and the other guy who was hired under them. 

The reason why Dan keeps Bruce around though is bc w/ Bruce there, Dan doesn’t have to face  the media and deal with this stuff. That’s what Dan wants. It seems to me Bruce has free reign to do whatever and Dan enables him, kind of like Ted with Ernie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It is really shameful that Allen has so much control. I liked what Lafemina was doing as well and the other guy who was hired under them. 

The reason why Dan keeps Bruce around though is bc w/ Bruce there, Dan doesn’t have to face  the media and deal with this stuff. That’s what Dan wants. It seems to me Bruce has free reign to do whatever and Dan enables him, kind of like Ted with Ernie.

And Bruce won't face the media either, he'll just trot out Doug Williams (who then has to apologize for saying something he was forced to say) or have Chris Cooley leak information related to team personnel.  

Again, it's shameful all around.  A legitimate organization would fire Bruce Allen, the sham of a leader that he is, and put someone infinitely more competant in charge (which isn't hard to do.) . We're the Redskins, so when we think we hit rock bottom, we go further down the hole. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excerpts from Liz Clarke in her article from the Washington Post:

Quote

In introducing Lafemina as his latest executive hire on May 16, Snyder hailed Lafemina’s “fresh thinking, “big ideas” and “genuine belief that fans must be at the center of every decision we make.” Snyder had spent nearly a full year recruiting Lafemina from the NFL’s New York headquarters, envisioning him as the linchpin for reversing a revenue slide that was years in the making in his $3.1 billion NFL franchise and laying the groundwork for a new stadium to replace FedEx Field in 2027.

But on Wednesday — just 225 days into the job — Lafemina was let go from what was believed to be a multiyear contract.

So what happened?  Snyder spent over a year courting this guy to leave a cushy job in the league office, gives him total control, and he doesn't even last a full football season, much less a calendar year.  And let go from a multiyear contract it seems, which Snyder will have to pay in it's entirety.  

Quote

The initiatives were based on Lafemina’s eight years in the NFL office, where he served as liaison to the league’s 32 teams, helping develop and disseminate best business practices.

In some ways, Wednesday’s parting could have been anticipated from the moment Snyder pared back team President Bruce Allen’s duties to carve out a role for Lafemina. Like a monarch with two sons, Snyder in May gave Allen and Lafemina each half of the Redskins fiefdom to rule, announcing that Allen would supervise the football side of the operation and Lafemina would supervise the business side. Each reported directly to Snyder. In the restructuring, Lafemina inherited some of Allen’s former terrain.

Patience has not been a hallmark of Snyder’s 19-year ownership. Nor has collegiality been a hallmark of Allen’s tenure, particularly when he perceives fellow executives as smart, self-directed and a threat to his authority. Heading into Sunday’s season finale against Philadelphia, the Redskins have compiled a 59-82-1 record during Allen’s nine seasons in Washington.

So Bruce wasn't happy that someone got part of his authority with his "reassignment" (read: demotion) and seems to have somehow gotten this group fired, despite how Snyder has wanted them to come on board for a long time.  

We just can't seem to get things right 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I hate to defend Snyder but you put me in this positon bc of how off base your post is.

Those minority owners have no say, only the majority owner does. If they don’t like it, they can get out and sell their stake in the team but most likely they’re making money so they’re fine with their stake in the team.

The NFL has no business in stepping in and taking over a team or operating their private business unless it’s like a Jerry Richardson situation or something where the team is being sold or something or moved.

I mean after all, the owners own the league, not the other way around. They pay Goddell’s salary and others at the NFL offices and Dan Snyder’s owned Redskins are one of the most wealthy franchises in the entire NFL.

Unless I’m mistaken, the owners do not “own” the league. They own the teams, which can be forced out of the NFL. The NFL itself operates as a non-profit organization and the teams themselves are operated as businesses with their revenue taxed. They’re two separate entities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Unless I’m mistaken, the owners do not “own” the league. They own the teams, which can be forced out of the NFL. The NFL itself operates as a non-profit organization and the teams themselves are operated as businesses with their revenue taxed. They’re two separate entities. 

The owners make up the league. I thought they made the decisions on aniut everything and they determine what Goddell and other make. Now I could be wrong to, but I thought the only way the league can force an owner out of their ownership is if the other owners agree to it as well.

And again, Dan has upset this fan base since he’s been the owner of the Redskins, but he’s not done anything to hurt the league or the other owners. If anything they like him because he’s helped make them money.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

To defend Craig, he did say the business office, and firing your COO and CMO is major. 

While true, it is also completely meaningless. The problems afflicting the Redskins aren't really from a marketing perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Woz said:

While true, it is also completely meaningless. The problems afflicting the Redskins aren't really from a marketing perspective.

Disagree, it’s everything from Marketing to running the team. It’s pretty much everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Disagree, it’s everything from Marketing to running the team. It’s pretty much everything.

They did a fantastic job with the #togetherwehail program, and their marketing and strategy with season ticket holders this year is a complete 180 turn from the past.  The problem is that the team's lack of success on the field, which has been sustained and filled with all kinds of drama and mistreatment of people, has drastically cut into the people they are marketing to, shrinking their market.  If the team was winning like the other teams who surround us- the Ravens, Steelers and Eagles- then they would have the huge waiting list again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×