Strength & Conditioning - Injury Analysis for 2018

Packer_ESP

That was very eyebrow raising and informative.  Thank you very much for putting that work together.  Provides valuable correlation and causation on an assessment that many have made around here, and this further re-enforces it.  There is a big problem with our medical staff and trainers that has plagued us for nearly a decade now.  

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

My initial gut reaction is I suspect GBs medical staff is a big reason for this, too.

That is, being perhaps the most conservative medical staff in the league will likely result in more guys being held out here than they might be anywhere else.

Been my thinking for a good number of years.  Feels like GB will have many players have an "injury" during a game and often not return where other teams the player may make it back to that game.

Took snap counts and cross-checked them with injuries - it was tricky since Football Outsiders and NFL.com don't share the same naming convention for players and some of them don't even have the same first name (for example Stafford is John in NFL.com) but after some manual correcting, I finished.

I took each player's total snaps and divided by the number of games played to obtain the average snaps per game for that particular player. I then multiplied that by 1 for Out, 0,75 for Doubtful and 0.50 for Questionable to obtain a weighted total of snaps missed. This is the result:

7EZUuZR.jpg

I have people coming home so I can't analyze right now, will check later to see what you all think about this.

27 minutes ago, IBleedGreen&Gold said:

Send this information to the Packer's front office. Maybe it will open their eyes. I doubt it, worth the attempt though. Heck, may even get you a job with them. :D

I bet Murphy and Gute are aware of it .. or at least they should be.  I think they want a whole new culture, and the training and medical staff could be a part of the purge.   I hope we go for a clean sweep.  

I'd like to add Injured Reserve information to my snap counts chart but I have two issues that maybe you guys could help me with:

• Anyone know of a good site that contains all the IR information for the year? The best I've found is a current IR list with the number of weeks the player has been there, which I could use to generate a week by week list that I can add to my data. However, I haven't been able to find any list that contains the IR-returned guys with the info of when they went to IR and when they came back. I'd really like to avoid checking this manually through news for each and every team if possible.
  • When it comes to weight (remember: Out is 1, Questionable is 0.5, Doubtful is 0.75), what would you assign to IR? In a way it should be 1 because the player is definitely out, but IR allows you to replace the spot so maybe it should be lower. I also have some concerns that it can artificially inflate the number for tanking teams that have been IRing toenails to end the season like us.

Thanks everyone

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I bet Murphy and Gute are aware of it .. or at least they should be.  I think they want a whole new culture, and the training and medical staff could be a part of the purge.   I hope we go for a clean sweep.  

............wheras I hope we keep the competent and only release the 'less than competent'. No need to gash the Packers coaches deeper than necessary, as solid coaches are hard to gather together. It's all about getting as good a coaching crew as you can, so no need to arbitrarily exclude the coaches currently on the Packers books.

28 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

I'd like to add Injured Reserve information to my snap counts chart but I have two issues that maybe you guys could help me with:

• Anyone know of a good site that contains all the IR information for the year? The best I've found is a current IR list with the number of weeks the player has been there, which I could use to generate a week by week list that I can add to my data. However, I haven't been able to find any list that contains the IR-returned guys with the info of when they went to IR and when they came back. I'd really like to avoid checking this manually through news for each and every team if possible.
  • When it comes to weight (remember: Out is 1, Questionable is 0.5, Doubtful is 0.75), what would you assign to IR? In a way it should be 1 because the player is definitely out, but IR allows you to replace the spot so maybe it should be lower. I also have some concerns that it can artificially inflate the number for tanking teams that have been IRing toenails to end the season like us.

Thanks everyone

Try PFR for IR data: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2018_injuries.htm you'd have to do each team manually though, unless you (or someone else here) can write up some code to scrape the data

18 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Try PFR for IR data: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2018_injuries.htm you'd have to do each team manually though, unless you (or someone else here) can write up some code to scrape the data

That's great, the week by week graph can be easily pasted in Excel and then processed to extract a list. It's good enough that I can copy the info for all 32 teams one by one and then process it - the only downside is that I don't have the specific injury, but that doesn't affect the snap count data so it's good enough.

I have to pay some attention to the SO now, will post it tomorrow.

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

They are aware of this data and much more. The Packers have been on the wrong side of this issue for many years now and the response, primarily led by McCarthy, was misguided and only worsened the problem . It's a fractional aspect of his dismissal though far from insignificant. The league's rule changes on practices shielded McCarthy from blame by management, just as he was shielded from blame by many here in this realm. I'd love to be able to share the data I have but it's proprietary. It's nice to see Packer_ESP compiling and illustrating some injury data on his own. This is an area where the right head coach, training staff, and new training practices could provide the Packers with a huge boost beginning next year. Any coach brought in for an interview better be well prepared to discuss strength and conditioning - who they're going to bring along to head things up, how they're going to get the players on board with the program, and how they're going to maximize the practice time allowed. Big gains to be had in this area. It would be really, really hard to do worse. I'm very hopeful based on what I know.

1 hour ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Anyone know of a good site that contains all the IR information for the year? The best I've found is a current IR list with the number of weeks the player has been there, which I could use to generate a week by week list that I can add to my data. However, I haven't been able to find any list that contains the IR-returned guys with the info of when they went to IR and when they came back. I'd really like to avoid checking this manually through news for each and every team if possible.

Packers.com (and every team site) has a page listing transactions by date.
Also, once a player goes on IR, he has to stay a minimum of 8 weeks before he can return per league rules, so that might be an IR shortcut

https://www.packers.com/team/transactions/

And thanks again for pulling this together, greatly appreciated

3 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

They are aware of this data and much more. The Packers have been on the wrong side of this issue for many years now and the response, primarily led by McCarthy, was misguided and only worsened the problem . It's a fractional aspect of his dismissal though far from insignificant. The league's rule changes on practices shielded McCarthy from blame by management, just as he was shielded from blame by many here in this realm. I'd love to be able to share the data I have but it's proprietary. It's nice to see Packer_ESP compiling and illustrating some injury data on his own. This is an area where the right head coach, training staff, and new training practices could provide the Packers with a huge boost beginning next year. Any coach brought in for an interview better be well prepared to discuss strength and conditioning - who they're going to bring along to head things up, how they're going to get the players on board with the program, and how they're going to maximize the practice time allowed. Big gains to be had in this area. It would be really, really hard to do worse. I'm very hopeful based on what I know.

Boy I sure hope you are right.  My biggest fear is a new regime with the same training staff.  Could be stuck with them for another few years before they figure it out.  One would think the Packers would be aware of this critical issue.  However no changes made for better part of a decade.  A lot of guys minimize the impact that injuries have had on this team.  We have some pretty talented teams but being decimated by injuries year after year really killed us. 

Archived