Dolphins to move on from Ryan Tannehill

Elky

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7417/ryan-tannehill

According to the Miami Herald, the Dolphins are prepared to move on from Ryan Tannehill after this season rather than pay him the $19 million he's owed over the next two years.

None of Tannehill's 2019-2020 scheduled pay is guaranteed, so it will be an easy cord to cut. By releasing or trading Tannehill, the Fins would save $13.2 million under the 2019 salary cap, or $18.7 million if he's designated a post-June 1 cut. Amid reports the front office will also be cleaned out, the Dolphins' organization appears headed for a near-full overhaul this offseason. Dec 26 - 8:41 PM

This makes no sense. We aren't in a position to draft a QB nor would an upgrade be available as a FA or trade. Really hope this is just rumor/speculation. Tannehill isn't the problem in Miami. While he does have to be replaced at some point, the timing doesn't make much sense. The cap room that cutting him would save is negated by downgrading at the most important position in the game.

Perhaps Miami is trying to get him to take a pay cut, Idk.

Regarding the FO, they can all go. Never wanted Tannenbum here. Good riddance.

As they should.  Really wish they didn't pick up Parker's 5th year option I would have love to take a flyer on him as a FA this year.

This is the Tanny cycle.  Come in pay a ton of money to big names, win some games, ultimately fall short of target goal, have cap issues, clear cap space, suck, repeat.

7 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

When was the last time Miami was relevant? 1989?

Starting from (near) scratch is probably a good idea. Except their uniforms. They've got good uniforms.

They were continually relevant up until about 2003.

The Dolphins had only two losing seasons in the span of 1970 until 2003 (a 33-year span). 2004 and beyond, however, the franchise just can't seem to dig itself out of mediocrity. It's sad.

3 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

When was the last time Miami was relevant? 1989?

Starting from (near) scratch is probably a good idea. Except their uniforms. They've got good uniforms.

Probably when they had Zach Thomas, Patrick Surtain, and co. which was early 2000’s if I’m not mistaken. Not sure though tbh.

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm not sure there is a position to draft a QB in this year's draft.  One of the worst QB classes I've seen.

Joe Flacco.
I know it's not sexy, but he could be a good player in the right system. Sometimes a new venue can change a guy.

Have him teach the QBotF for the Fins. He won't be cheap, but his asking price has taken quite the hit over the past 2 seasons, so perhaps he'd restructure.

Tannenbaum has been a much bigger problem TBH.  Tanny probably isn’t the long term answer but this isn’t a great year to go early for QB.  

The curious part is that Gase doesn’t seem like he can afford a developmental QB year.   Unless they are parting ways you have to think Gase would be targeting a non rookie - I guess they could make Tanny a post June 1 cut to save almost 18M and then go hard on Teddy B.   But the options seem limited compared to the status quo (as a DEN fan I’m well aware given DEN is in far worse shape QB wise than Tanny).    

24 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

This makes no sense. We aren't in a position to draft a QB nor would an upgrade be available as a FA or trade. Really hope this is just rumor/speculation. Tannehill isn't the problem in Miami. While he does have to be replaced at some point, the timing doesn't make much sense. The cap room that cutting him would save is negated by downgrading at the most important position in the game.

Perhaps Miami is trying to get him to take a pay cut, Idk.

Regarding the FO, they can all go. Never wanted Tannenbum here. Good riddance.

Without looking too hard into the Dolphins' cap situation, they probably are trying to clear the books as much as possible.  They're projected to have a shade over $7M in cap space this offseason, and $20M next year.  It might be better to bottom out next year when you're looking at a QB class with Tua, From, Herbert, etc. and your books cleared.

Good move for them, idk if they’re moving on from Gase but I think he’s a good coach and has gotten a lot out of his team this year. Tanny had a similar tenure with us by shelling out big money for a few free agents and trade for Big name guys instead of trying to draft and develop your own. They best try and nab Bridgewater and draft Grier or Lock or move up for Haskins if they think he can be the guy

99.0 passer rating this year, but ranked 29th in DVOA. This is why passer rating is stupid. 

Tannehill has had his chances to show something, and never has. It's been 6 years. It's time to move on. Even if the options are slim, you gotta try something else. It's remarkable that he's made it this far as Miami's "guy". But that's what happens when you play just well enough not to lose your job. Being stuck in mediocrity is worse than being just plain bad. Takes forever to change. 

Archived