Dolphins to move on from Ryan Tannehill

Elky

Its really crazy that he still carries a 13+ million dead money hit going into next year given that he signed that extension in 2015. 

That being said, it's 13 million coming off the books, and I think that you can comparably replace him for that amount, especially given Tannehill's inability to stay healthy. 

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

This makes no sense. We aren't in a position to draft a QB nor would an upgrade be available as a FA or trade. Really hope this is just rumor/speculation. Tannehill isn't the problem in Miami. While he does have to be replaced at some point, the timing doesn't make much sense. The cap room that cutting him would save is negated by downgrading at the most important position in the game.

Perhaps Miami is trying to get him to take a pay cut, Idk.

Regarding the FO, they can all go. Never wanted Tannenbum here. Good riddance.

Regarding QB, they kind of are in a good position if there’s one they really like. There isn’t a consensus #1 overall. You could possibly get a guy like Grier or Daniel Jones, etc. if that’s someone they really like. Also should be some solid FA options.

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

99.0 passer rating this year, but ranked 29th in DVOA. This is why passer rating is stupid. 

Yep; very odd that Tannehill had his best on-paper season  in his career, but on the same token finally lost the patience of his supporters.

I wouldn't be surprised if Miami ends up trading Tannehill.

The FA QB class will be headlined by Bridgewater and Tannehill, both very uninspiring options. The rookie class is thin and sub-par according to pundits and this forum.

Some team out there (Jacksonville? Denver?) may well be fine with paying Tannehill $25m for a 1-year rental, there would be no obligation to pay him a cent beyond 2019.

3 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

They were continually relevant up until about 2003.

The Dolphins had only two losing seasons in the span of 1970 until 2003 (a 33-year span). 2004 and beyond, however, the franchise just can't seem to dig itself out of mediocrity. It's sad.

So maybe their best bet is to let Tannehill walk, tank and save up cap space. Sucks to be stuck on that treadmill. When's the last time they had a top 10 pick? Tannehill himself?

They need to literally nuke their roster. They have horribly overpriced players and guys that are just decent in about every starting position.

RB: Drake

WR: Stills/Parker/Grant

TE: Geiseki

LT: Tunsil

RE: Harris

OLB: Baker

MLB: McMillian

CB: Fitzpatrick/Howard

These are the only redeeming players on their roster that I feel like they should make an effort to keep in their rebuild.

10 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

They need to literally nuke their roster. They have horribly overpriced players and guys that are just decent in about every starting position.

These are the only redeeming players on their roster that I feel like they should make an effort to keep in their rebuild.

Charles Harris is an absolute turd.  If someone offered a 4th rounder for him, I would take it and run.  Definitely doesn't need to be part of the rebuild.

Ballage looks like a keeper at RB though.  

40 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Miami ends up trading Tannehill.

The FA QB class will be headlined by Bridgewater and Tannehill, both very uninspiring options. The rookie class is thin and sub-par according to pundits and this forum.

Some team out there (Jacksonville? Denver?) may well be fine with paying Tannehill $25m for a 1-year rental, there would be no obligation to pay him a cent beyond 2019.

The problem is that JAX is in cap hell.   For DEN, we already have 10M 2019 extra dead money in Keenum and a 21M salary overall.   There's zero chance Elway takes on a 1-year vet at 18.75M on top of that, unless that other team was taking back Keenum (which let's face it, would be a GM-killer move, and we can all assume a new GM should be a lot smarter than Tannenbaum has been, if the reports of his departure are true).

The other problem is that the MIA FO has already leaked their willingness to move on.  When you add that in, most teams will just wait MIA out.  Keep in mind that the decision for most big salaries like that comes due in March - so it forces MIA's hand much more than it forces a team looking to trade for him.   Anything's possible, but it seems far more likely Tanny is cut, and then signs for a 1-year prove-it type deal.   If the MIA 2019 deal was a relative bargain, I could see a trade, but at that 18.75M 2019 salary, it's not like it offers a huge discount for what Tanny is viewed as.

22 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Harris is a bust. Parker isn't worth his 5th year option.

Some players are overpaid, yes, but that's just the nature of the NFL. Miami is good going forward in terms have no real big longterm contract, aside from Reshad Jones. On the roster, Miami's big issue is the DLine talent. On the OL, our starting C an LG hit the IR the first game or second game of the season, I believe. An upgrade at RG is needed. Not sure what'll happen to Ju'wuan James. He's OK, but not worth an overpay.  I think some team with a hole at RT will throw money at him.

Stills, Wilson, Amendola, Gesecki, and Drake are  nice group to throw to.

2 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Charles Harris is an absolute turd.  If someone offered a 4th rounder for him, I would take it and run.  Definitely doesn't need to be part of the rebuild.

I never liked Harris, but I saw him making plays out there last week. I thought he might be redeeming.

His college tape bothered the crap out of me. Very inconsistent, thought everything was a pass, and had virtually no strength or freak speed off the edge. Just seemed very bleh to me. I thought I was wrong on him and that he was having success in Miami...guess that's a big negative.

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I never liked Harris, but I saw him making plays out there last week. I thought he might be redeeming.

His college tape bothered the crap out of me. Very inconsistent, thought everything was a pass, and had virtually no strength or freak speed off the edge. Just seemed very bleh to me. I thought I was wrong on him and that he was having success in Miami...guess that's a big negative.

Coulda had TJ Watt...Huge swing and miss by Miami's scouting department.

17 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

This.

Charles Harris is a straight up bust.

McMillain has also been garbage.

If we do blow it up the only players I actually truly care about are Drake, Ballage, Grant, Geisicki, Tunsil, Baker, Xavien, and Minkah. Possibly Ja'Juan James and Davon Godchaux.

4 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

This makes no sense. We aren't in a position to draft a QB nor would an upgrade be available as a FA or trade. Really hope this is just rumor/speculation. Tannehill isn't the problem in Miami. While he does have to be replaced at some point, the timing doesn't make much sense. The cap room that cutting him would save is negated by downgrading at the most important position in the game.

Perhaps Miami is trying to get him to take a pay cut, Idk.

Regarding the FO, they can all go. Never wanted Tannenbum here. Good riddance.

I'll be honest, the way this is worded (the report, not your post) reads like the organization is trying to leverage Tannehill (who, per other reports, has said he wants to stay) into taking a pay cut.  Could be Ross meddling and just wanting to be done with Tannehill because he hasn't turned out the way hoped, could be what I'm suggesting.  It's really too early to know at this point.  By last reporting I saw, you guys only have a shade over $18m in cap space in 2019, so I could definitely see where this is a move to leverage one of the higher earners into freeing up money.

Archived